• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Selectees from Ghana

Re F-Lan, he has sent me a screenshot that shows his eDV confirmation page and the 1NL.

Let's say his name is John Smith.

The eDV shows his entry as Smith, John - exactly as you would expect.

The 1NL has his name (above the address and after the "Dear") as "NFN John Smith" and "Dear NFN John Smith".

Check out the image linked below. There is a checkbox under each name, and the NFN is printed when someone has selected "No First Name". These fields are process by computers, so I would be certain F-Lan made that mistake, KCC don't retype anything. The Confirmation on the entry makes sense (i.e. not showing the firstname), and the first clue of the error was the NFN (No First Name) on the 2NL. However, it is OBVIOUS that is you provide a middle name, and say there is no first name, then the name provided as the middle name is actually your firstname.

However, all submitted cases are checked for duplicate entries, so they may believe that F-Lan tried to enter with John as the firstname and John as the middlename (in a second entry). If F-Lan did not do that, then yes I think he has been badly judged. The CO could have put him on AP and put the case back for checks on John Smith, but for some reason he decided not to do that. Accra have a lot of denials, I don't doubt this case would have been approved elsewhere.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/gl_8l3vO5U8/maxresdefault.jpg

The problem with the page as you show is that it looks like you actually have to tick a box that says "no first name" (or "no middle name") which makes it harder to argue that it was just mistakenly typing the name in the wrong box?
I agree it's harsh but to be even handed about it I can also see the CO's view of being suspicious that it was "just a mistake". (Please note I am not saying F-lan intentionally did anything wrong' just that one also has to look at it through CO eyes.)

Re F-Lan, he has sent me a screenshot that shows his eDV confirmation page and the 1NL.

The 1NL has his name (above the address and after the "Dear") as "NFN John Smith" and "Dear NFN John Smith".

Check out the image linked below. There is a checkbox under each name, and the NFN is printed when someone has selected "No First Name". These fields are process by computers, so I would be certain F-Lan made that mistake, KCC don't retype anything. The Confirmation on the entry makes sense (i.e. not showing the firstname), and the first clue of the error was the NFN (No First Name) on the 2NL. However, it is OBVIOUS that is you provide a middle name, and say there is no first name, then the name provided as the middle name is actually your firstname.

However, all submitted cases are checked for duplicate entries, so they may believe that F-Lan tried to enter with John as the firstname and John as the middlename (in a second entry). If F-Lan did not do that, then yes I think he has been badly judged. The CO could have put him on AP and put the case back for checks on John Smith, but for some reason he decided not to do that. Accra have a lot of denials, I don't doubt this case would have been approved elsewhere.

Well explained.

The problem with the page as you show is that it looks like you actually have to tick a box that says "no first name" (or "no middle name") which makes it harder to argue that it was just mistakenly typing the name in the wrong box?
I agree it's harsh but to be even handed about it I can also see the CO's view of being suspicious that it was "just a mistake". (Please note I am not saying F-lan intentionally did anything wrong' just that one also has to look at it through CO eyes.)
I perfectly get your point let's just say it was a bad luck for me I cannot explain how it happened but hey nothing is more important than being alive.

So clearly @F-Lan made the error on the eDV application contrary to what he said about not making any error and that KCC made the mistake. My guess is when filing out the form he put is last name in the appropriate box then jumped the middle box which should have contained the first name, and put the first name in the last box which should have contained a middle name if he had one.

The tell tale sign is the NFN contained in the 1NL, he should have been curious enough to find out what that meant in the first place. I wish he had asked in the forum, and we would have been able to tell him something isn't right here, in fact this is one of the few cases I think emailing KCC could have possibly helped resolve the issue before the file is sent on to the embassy.

Well it is what it is right now, no use crying over spilled milk. I'm glad he's decided to move on.

So clearly @F-Lan made the error on the eDV application contrary to what he said about not making any error and that KCC made the mistake. My guess is when filing out the form he put is last name in the appropriate box then jumped the middle box which should have contained the first name, and put the first name in the last box which should have contained a middle name if he had one.
The tell tale sign is the NFN contained in the 1NL, he should have been curious enough to find out what that meant in the first place. I wish he had asked in the forum, and we would have been able to tell him something isn't right here, in fact this is one of the few cases I think emailing KCC could have possibly helped resolve the issue before the file is sent on to the embassy.

Well it is what it is right now, no use crying over spilled milk. I'm glad he's decided to move on.

Oh yea I answered that question to the best of my knowledge. I Dont remember committing such errors but its there so I Dont doubt the posibility of me actually committing it. I did not ask this in the forum bcos My host innitially contacted KCC about it and was told to to fill the ds260 with the appropriate info. Anyway I Dont intend to drag this. But my host has written to them. They are yet to reply.

Oh and someone actually asked similar question in this forum and was told he will fine provided he has all the names in his document. I think u answered that question but can't remember the guys name.

It is frustrating, because as Mom says, I would imagine this could have been addressed by contacting KCC before interview. I doubt they would have changed the eDV entry, but they could have sent the file to Accra with a file note saying the applicant had tried to address the mistake, and they could have rerun background checks also (which would have diffused the COs concerns).

For the record, I believe this is a genuine mistake, and I am impressed that F-Lan is accepting his fate with such dignity. I hope we see him back here one day with another winning ticket.

It is frustrating, because as Mom says, I would imagine this could have been addressed by contacting KCC before interview. I doubt they would have changed the eDV entry, but they could have sent the file to Accra with a file note saying the applicant had tried to address the mistake, and they could have rerun background checks also (which would have diffused the COs concerns).

For the record, I believe this is a genuine mistake, and I am impressed that F-Lan is accepting his fate with such dignity. I hope we see him back here one day with another winning ticket.
Yes my host did that already before my interview that's why I never bothered to ask this forum.

Yes see what he says here - he tried to correct it on the DS form - so the error was definitely on the original EDV entry.

Kindly let me know:Is re-running prompted by suspicion or its automatically done to all selectess,at what point can you be disqualified because of the passport photo

Kindly let me know:Is re-running prompted by suspicion or its automatically done to all selectess,at what point can you be disqualified because of the passport photo

From what I understand:
Photo recognition software is used on all entries - it is a key means by which they find duplicate entries
It is run again during the interview - I am not sure if you noticed this in yours - but we could see the CO running our new photos against the entry ones (and the Lagos embassy incidentally has said they have denied (and had arrested) entrants who tried to steal entry packs and caught them out by this software). but it took a while and I suspect they were also being run against criminal databases or something like that.
I know that the photos are also run against the database they keep from entries into the US and I guess they run this both times but not sure. This will check if someone has entered the US under a different name for example.

Oh and someone actually asked similar question in this forum and was told he will fine provided he has all the names in his document. I think u answered that question but can't remember the guys name.

I think you might be referencing my response out of context if indeed I've responded to a situation such as yours before - I've responded to so many posts, I can't keep track. However it would help if you're about to say who it was or quote the post in question.

Oh yea I answered that question to the best of my knowledge. I Dont remember committing such errors but its there so I Dont doubt the posibility of me actually committing it. I did not ask this in the forum bcos My host innitially contacted KCC about it and was told to to fill the ds260 with the appropriate info. Anyway I Dont intend to drag this. But my host has written to them. They are yet to reply.

I think part of the mistake also is relying on someone else to follow up on such an issue with KCC on your behalf. You have more standing with KCC than your host, you have access to the Internet, you have a good grasp of English, so I don't understand why you didn't contact KCC yourself. Did your host forward the correspondence with KCC to you and did you take that along to your interview and presented it to the CO when the issue was raised? The reason I asked is because if you mentioned it in the forum, we would have told you to contact KCC directly and if you came back to tell us KCC told you to go ahead and fill the DS form as it should be, we would have reminded you to take that correspondence along to your interview. This is not a situation of one calling KCC, you want to have record of all communication in a situation such as this. And like Simon noted above, contacting KCC would have enabled them to re-run the background check with your first name as it should be prior to the interview.

I think you might be referencing my response out of context if indeed I've responded to a situation such as yours before - I've responded to so many posts, I can't keep track. However it would help if you're about to say who it was or quote the post in question.

I think part of the mistake also is relying on someone else to follow up on such an issue with KCC on your behalf. You have more standing with KCC than your host, you have access to the Internet, you have a good grasp of English, so I don't understand why you didn't contact KCC yourself. Did your host forward the correspondence with KCC to you and did you take that along to your interview and presented it to the CO when the issue was raised? The reason I asked is because if you mentioned it in the forum, we would have told you to contact KCC directly and if you came back to tell us KCC told you to go ahead and fill the DS form as it should be, we would have reminded you to take that correspondence along to your interview. This is not a situation of one calling KCC, you want to have record of all communication in a situation such as this. And like Simon noted above, contacting KCC would have enabled them to re-run the background check with your first name as it should be prior to the interview.
@F-Lan could be talking about me not including my fourth name in the eDV application, I have however included that in my DS-260. Now in the case of the eDV there were three spaces for names; family/surname, first name and middle name. I filled them as required an did not leave any blank neither did I check the NFN or similar boxes.

@F-Lan could be talking about me not including my fourth name in the eDV application, I have however included that in my DS-260. Now in the case of the eDV there were three spaces for names; family/surname, first name and middle name. I filled them as required an did not leave any blank neither did I check the NFN or similar boxes.

And that is completely different. Like you stated eDV has room for 3 names, you listed all three on your registration form and went ahead to list the 4th name on your DS-260 form. So the response you got most definitely does not relate to his case.

And that is completely different. Like you stated eDV has room for 3 names, you listed all three on your registration form and went ahead to list the 4th name on your DS-260 form. So the response you got most definitely does not relate to his case.
This now takes us to the point where I want to know if the third cell could have taken a second name. That is fill in the cell for middle name with name A and name B.

Hello All,
I am a ghanaian in canada and I won US lottery and I was thinking that since canada is close to the US, it is best for me to go to the USA and finish my medicals and submit my application as well as do the interview.
So fellow ghanaians what is yr thoughts on his

Hello All,
I am a ghanaian in canada and I won US lottery and I was thinking that since canada is close to the US, it is best for me to go to the USA and finish my medicals and submit my application as well as do the interview.

You cannot just nip over the border and interview in the US. The process in the USA is different (adjustment of status versus consular processing) and there are lots of issues with that.

This now takes us to the point where I want to know if the third cell could have taken a second name. That is fill in the cell for middle name with name A and name B.

My suggestion is don't over think the process, you did what was asked correctly. Some people have more than one middle name (as in your case) I don't think they expect them to list all of their middle names in the last box meant for the middle name.

Hello All,

Yes Canada is next door to the U.S. however you can't simply pop over into the U.S. and finish the process there if you're not already legally based in the U.S.