• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visa expiry vs Medical file expiry!

Issam

Registered Users (C)
Hello everybody,

I was wondering, since (normally) all DV winners get issued a visa valid for 6 months, are the dates really tied to the validity of the medical exam results?
If (for instance) a visa is valid until early June, can the holder freely land in the US in Mai? Is it 100% risk free? OR does one have to make sure the medical file within the envelope is/will be valid for the whole 6 month period?
PS: If the validity of (all) issued civil documents in the original country is 3 months, does one have to check if it's also the case of medical file? (Consulate does inform you that you are allowed to travel prior to the date indicated in the visa - No medical file issue mentioned).

Your help & opinion is appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello everybody,

I was wondering, since (normally) all DV winners get issued a visa valid for 6 months, are the dates really tied to the validity of the medical exam results?
If (for instance) a visa is valid until early June, can the holder freely land in the US in Mai? Is it 100% risk free? OR does one have to make sure the medical file within the envelope is/will be valid for the whole 6 month period?
PS: If the validity of (all) issued civil documents in the original country is 3 months, does one have to check if it's also the case of medical file? (Consulate does inform you that you are allowed to travel prior to the date indicated in the visa - No medical file issue mentioned).

Your help & opinion is appreciated.

Thank you.

My understanding is that they issue the visa with a date that is not undermined by the medical validity - so if the medical meant you only had 4 months after the interview then your viosa would indicate the 4 months. Can anyone else confirm that?

My understanding is that they issue the visa with a date that is not undermined by the medical validity - so if the medical meant you only had 4 months after the interview then your viosa would indicate the 4 months. Can anyone else confirm that?

Correct Simon. Technically, medical results from most countries are valid for 1 year, and it ties to the validity of the visa which is 6 months. However if the applicant has a medical issue, then the medical could be valid for less than that, which in turn means the visa could be valid for less than 6 months from when it is used.

To the OP, stop stressing about "one have to make sure the medical file within the envelope is/will be valid for the whole 6 month period" or not, you can't open the envelope to start with, so there's no way for you to know the validity indicated inside it. And yes, "If (for instance) a visa is valid until early June, the holder (can) freely land in the US in Mai". As a matter of fact, you are supposed to arrive in the US BEFORE the expiry date indicated of the VISA. You could decide to enter the US the very next day after your visa is issued as a matter of fact.

Correct Simon. Technically, medical results from most countries are valid for 1 year, and it ties to the validity of the visa which is 6 months. However if the applicant has a medical issue, then the medical could be valid for less than that, which in turn means the visa could be valid for less than 6 months from when it is used.

To the OP, stop stressing about "one have to make sure the medical file within the envelope is/will be valid for the whole 6 month period" or not, you can't open the envelope to start with, so there's no way for you to know the validity indicated inside it. And yes, "If (for instance) a visa is valid until early June, the holder (can) freely land in the US in Mai". As a matter of fact, you are supposed to arrive in the US BEFORE the expiry date indicated of the VISA. You could decide to enter the US the very next day after your visa is issued as a matter of fact.

I was hoping you would clear that up. Thanks!

I'm studying PhD and the expected graduation date will be Feb 2014 and the expected interview May or June. Is it possible to ask about visa extension for 4 or 5 months more because it wil be better for me to move after graduation. Need you opinions

You're graduating in Feb 2014, your interview is likely to take place in May or June 2014 (according to your estimate), so what do you need the extension for? You would have graduated by the time you go for your interview or am I missing something here?

I'm studying PhD and the expected graduation date will be Feb 2014 and the expected interview May or June. Is it possible to ask about visa extension for 4 or 5 months more because it wil be better for me to move after graduation. Need you opinions

My medical was on the 6th of December and the interviewer informed me that I would need to enter before the 6th of June, therefore I am assuming that you do have to enter with a valid medical or within 6 months from the medical.

My medical was on the 6th of December and the interviewer informed me that I would need to enter before the 6th of June, therefore I am assuming that you do have to enter with a valid medical or within 6 months from the medical.

You do have to enter with a valid medical but if it will expire within 6 months then your visa expiry will be set to match it. So as has been said before the only thing you worry about is your visa expiry date.

Ok so feb 2015 is when you graduate. The terms of when you can enter are strict so you cannot delay the initial entry into the States. However what you can do is take a short trip to the states after your interview within the first 6 months and that will activate your LPR status. You can then leave for up to one year without a problem, and could even extend that droid with a reentry permit.

So just allocate a week or two for a fact finding visit which is a useful thing anyway.

It will be a matter of money, thank you very much for fast replay.

Understood, a holiday will eat into your savings but it will give you time to get your graduation and get some more money together. You should not go the the USA without money in your pocket! Just try and make the trip as cheap as possible. If you use the time wisely it might save you mney in the long run as you can research places to stay when you do move there, apply for an SSN, get a bank account, perhaps even get a job lined up....