Mother sponsoring her son

manny73

Registered Users (C)
My mother is a Green Card holder, and she is sponsoring my unmarried brother who is 23 years old. She is not working currently, and will that be an issue. Do we need to take care of I-864 at the time of filing I-130 or only at the time when his Green Card comes?

thanks
Manny

My mother is a Green Card holder, and she is sponsoring my unmarried brother who is 23 years old. She is not working currently, and will that be an issue. Do we need to take care of I-864 at the time of filing I-130 or only at the time when his Green Card comes?

thanks
Manny

It will likely be a minimum of a 10 year wait for the priority date to become current from time of filing the I-130. The I-864 is required shortly before the Immigrant Visa processing (it will be the start of his process following the anticipated availability of the actual immigrant visa at least a decade in the future).

P.S. NVC will make contact to request the I-864 and associated fee. Make sure to always update any address changes! IF they try to make contact and can't reach the petitioner, beneficiary, or an agent they will cancel the visa and petition under INA 203(g).

(g) Lists.- For purposes of carrying out the Secretary's responsibilities in the orderly administration of this section, the Secretary of State may make reasonable estimates of the anticipated numbers of visas to be issued during any quarter of any fiscal year within each of the categories under subsections (a), (b), and (c) and to rely upon such estimates in authorizing the issuance of visas. The Secretary of State shall terminate the registration of any alien who fails to apply for an immigrant visa within one year following notification to the alien of the availability of such visa, but the Secretary shall reinstate the registration of any such alien who establishes within 2 years following the date of notification of the availability of such visa that such failure to apply was due to circumstances beyond the alien's control.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes have your mom and the joint sponsor file the i864 affidavit of support.

also file the i130(petition) i485(adjustment of status) and i765(employment authorization card) all at the same time so at least save some time. he will most likely get the EAD first but it will still take a while.

filing all the forms at once will at least save some time.

make sure the joint sponsor qualifies

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-support/joint-sponsor.html

yes have your mom and the joint sponsor file the i864 affidavit of support.

also file the i130(petition) i485(adjustment of status) and i765(employment authorization card) all at the same time so at least save some time. he will most likely get the EAD first but it will still take a while.

filing all the forms at once will at least save some time.

make sure the joint sponsor qualifies

http://www.immihelp.com/affidavit-of-support/joint-sponsor.html

WARNING

USE CAUTION

THE INFORMATION POSTED ABOVE IS TOTALLY INACCURATE AND IS LIKELY TO CAUSE PROBLEMS

IGNORE THIS MISINFORMATION

The 23 y/o son is NOT ELIGIBLE for CONCURRENT FILING!

NO VISA will be available for at least 10 years!