I passed the exam and still received re-exam notice, Please help

smartboy123us

Registered Users (C)
Hello Everyone,

I had N-400 exam on January 25, I went to the interview and passed the exam. Officer was very nice, he said I passed the exam and gave me the paper that shows that I passed. Then He said I need to summit Police Clearance from local Police department before they can give me oath date.

So I got the police Clearance cert and mailed it the same day. Now about month later (feb 24), I got a letter that says I need to appear for re-exam on April 29.

Why would they ask me for the re-exam when I have the paper that says I passed?

Please help what to do next?

I did call USCIS and they said I need to go on that date and they don't have any more information.

I am not sure what to tell you but you can write a letter stating your case with a copy of your original notice that you passed and that you were only required to mail in your police clearance which you did, also include a copy of the wrongful retest request you received and let them sort out their mess. Then finish off the letter with a statement that you are looking forward to their post-interview decision. Perhaps others who may have been in such a situation can chime in.

Thanks Jayoa.

I was thinking about making an appointment with local USCIS via infopass and see what they have to say. I really don't want to prepare for another re-exam. Has anyone had similar issue?

I think the whole reason for this issue is because I didn't know that I needed Police Clearance at the time of my Interview.

I think the whole reason for this issue is because I didn't know that I needed Police Clearance at the time of my Interview.

That should not be the issue, perhaps the IO did not properly close out your interview in the CRM application they use (can't really tell, just trying to find a logical reason). Its more like an error that occurs once in a while and if you inform them I am sure they will rectify it and your case should be back on its origial track. I will not wait for the April 29 date, you should immediately write the manager of the DO where you had your interview as I explained earlier (with expedited delivery with confirmation). Waiting to inform them on April 29th at the erronesouly scheduled interview may be a waste of one month when you could do it now and possibly revceive a decision within the same period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again Jayoa.

I was thinking of making an appoint via infopass next week and just talk to them. I am not going to wait until April 29. Do you that is a good idea? I kind of lost faith in sending letter to them.

Did you previously fail your FPs twice?
The 2nd interview is to go over your police clearance records. Did you have any past incidents that showed up on the records or anything else in your past that they would want to question you about (even a speeding ticket )?
You can try to go for an Infopass and ask for supervisor, but there's no guarantee they will accommodate you.

Thanks again Jayoa.

I was thinking of making an appoint via infopass next week and just talk to them. I am not going to wait until April 29. Do you that is a good idea? I kind of lost faith in sending letter to them.

I have not read about anyone that has found an InfoPass appointment to be of any help; they simply tell you in person what they do over the phone. I guess you can do both an InfoPass and write them.

It's not necessarily a re-exam, sounds more like they want a second interview.

Is it the regular process to want a second interview especially after handing one a confirmation that the interview has been passed but a decision is yet to be made? I think if they wanted a "second" interview they will clearly specify it and why just as they do with those who initially fail the civics test, it is usually very clear and you can see that option on the confirmation handed to you lon after the interview but the OP did not say they selected that option.

Did you previously fail your FPs twice?
The 2nd interview is to go over your police clearance records. Did you have any past incidents that showed up on the records or anything else in your past that they would want to question you about (even a speeding ticket )?
You can try to go for an Infopass and ask for supervisor, but there's no guarantee they will accommodate you.

Yes I failed both of them but they never told me to bring Police Clearance at the interview. I have no other thing (even ticket) on my record. The Officer even told me that I just need Police Clearance because my FP didn't came out good both times.

It's not necessarily a re-exam, sounds more like they want a second interview.
I just called USCIS again and the agent had no other info but she did say, they only have one single format of letter when they want person for 2nd interview (it always says re-exam). Kind of dumb but I hope she is right.

Is it the regular process to want a second interview especially after handing one a confirmation that the interview has been passed but a decision is yet to be made? I think if they wanted a "second" interview they will clearly specify it and why just as they do with those who initially fail the civics test, it is usually very clear and you can see that option on the confirmation handed to you lon after the interview but the OP did not say they selected that option.

I know.. that's what I am confuse about. If they need additional info, why not ask in the mail instead of giving me date that is 2 months out. This is just crazy.

Looking at the facts you present, this is an error that you need to bring to their attention ASAP, in fact do it today or tomorrow if you have the time with all the copies of evidence as i explained so they can get it next week and start fo rectify it. If you still want to get an InfoPass that is up to you but it is seldom beneficial in cases I have read.

I know.. that's what I am confuse about. If they need additional info, why not ask in the mail instead of giving me date that is 2 months out. This is just crazy
They likely need to go over the questions about arrests/conviction on N-400 with you in person now that they have the police clearance in hand. The interview format is there to record your answer under oath, something that can't be done by mail.

Do you mean after receiving a post-interview letter that they passed the civics test but a decision cannot be made, whic is the case here?

Thanks Jayoa, Yes but in my case I passed all tests (civic, English & US government). But they could not make a decision because they didn't have all the required documents (ie Police Clarence)

A USCIS request for a second interview to review required evidence is not an administrative error. Others have reported the same in the past.

Ah I C. Thanks Bobsmyth. I will read those to make sure I know my next steps.

Do you mean after receiving a post-interview letter that they passed the civics test but a decision cannot be made, whic is the case here?

Yes, specificaly where additional information was required to adjudicate the case.

They likely need to go over the questions about arrests/conviction on N-400 with you in person now that they have the police clearance in hand. The interview format is there to record your answer under oath, something that can't be done by mail.

I have no arrests/conviction, traffic ticket nothing. I have never even spoke to any police officer. My record is clean. Do you think they still need something? The reason I am worried is the letter I got says, It's re-exam and it's for

re-examination of English
re-examination of Civic
re-examination of Us Government and history

so basically it says I need to re-take all of them.

I have no arrests/conviction, traffic ticket nothing. I have never even spoke to any police officer. My record is clean. Do you think they still need something? The reason I am worried is the letter I got says, It's re-exam and it's for

re-examination of English
re-examination of Civic
re-examination of Us Government and history

so basically it says I need to re-take all of them.
The letter specifically says reexamination of civics tests?

The letter specifically says reexamination of civics tests?

Yes

But when I called USCIS 800 number, they said they only have one template. So even if they just have one question after your initial interview, the 2nd letter will say it's a re-exam of everything.

The issue is they had no information on why I was called back for "re-exam".

I can't possibly the only one, Someone must have had the same issue.

At this point, what I can say is write them as I explained before if it is some sort of error, schedule an InfoPass, and prepare for a re-test. At least one of all three has to pay off guaranteed because it really does not make any sense to pass a test and receive a letter to retest no matter how many people have received this before. Logically, nobody should receive such a letter to retest something they already confirmed you passed even if its because you had to mail in a requirement that has nothing to do with the civics test or anything else that they couldn't have asked you at the original interview.

Last edited by a moderator: