Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2011 Tracker

It's been a good while since I was here last time !!!
I have submitted N-400. But I have a question regarding passport. I renewed my passport from COP. Do I have to bring it to the interview? Does renewal of COP passport have any negative effect on my naturalization application? I read through this thread. It seems a few people did renew their COP passport and didn't get any trouble for that.

My timeline:

11/30/07 PR approved (backdated to 11/30/2006)
08/30/11 Send N-400 to Phoenix
to be continued.

Badluck2007

You have to bring your passport with you
It only depends on the IO handling your case. When you renewed your NP, did you then travel with it?

Shefe,

Thanks for your input. I forgot to mention that, I never travelled outside of US since 2002,not even Canada or Mexico. But my asylum was approved in 2004.
I think it's much better to hold a blank passport than travel to COP, right?

application issues.

please someone help. i am actually preparing to file for citizenship from green card through asylum.
my question is: should i answer yes to the question :have you ever been in deportation process?since technically i got my asylum through a judge.
should i answer yes or no to the question regarding: have you ever requested a relief? yes or no.Thanks for your advise.

I also renewed my NP before my asylum was approved but i did not travel anyway, i don't see any worries here just that few IO get crazy sometimes.

If you were in deportation process the IO have all of your immigration file in front of them so you have to answer precisely and then give a reason why it happen with an excuse(Judge approved my asylum)

Did you request for relief ?

relief in regards with asylum.

yes i requested for relief because the i 589 form for asylum is normally is also for relief.
the reason i am asking if i should answer yes or no to both questions is that i read somewhere that asylees dont have to say yes to neither since they got a judge grant of asylum.thanks for your input.

I see what you are saying but majority of the people who are filing for citizenship via asylee route will tell you they answered NO and i said no to the question and during my interview she did not bring it up and did not even ask me anything about my past asylum. Most IO who interview asylees during citizenship interview don't query about issues like that unless if you have answered yes to belonging to a group . I discovered something during my interview, if you have no secret to hide then you have nothing to worry about. Just tell the truth and explain why with an excuse with a reason if the IO asks you WHY.

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you so much the answer can not be clearer i think i will answer no.
I see what you are saying but majority of the people who are filing for citizenship via asylee route will tell you they answered NO and i said no to the question and during my interview she did not bring it up and did not even ask me anything about my past asylum. Most IO who interview asylees during citizenship interview don't query about issues like that unless if you have answered yes to belonging to a group . I discovered something during my interview, if you have no secret to hide then you have nothing to worry about. Just tell the truth and explain why with an excuse with a reason if the IO asks you WHY.

Guys,

I got my oath date as Sept 21st 2011

Does anyone know if on that day my name change request will change on the naturalization certificate ?

thank you so much the answer can not be clearer i think i will answer no.

The answer is technically yes if you got your asylum from a judge. But do not sweat over this. If the interviewing officer wants you to change the answer during the interview, just initial the proposed change.

thanks thankful

The answer is technically yes if you got your asylum from a judge. But do not sweat over this. If the interviewing officer wants you to change the answer during the interview, just initial the proposed change.

thankful,thank you for your input.I remember you from 2004 ,I appreciate you guys hanging there to help people who still have not seen the end of their journey yet.your contributions are priceless.

intent to deny

hiya, asylum applicant here.
so i gave an interview almost 2 months ago. yesterday i received the decision on a mail. it says they are intending to deny my asylum application because my oral interview was inconsistent with the written story. so my question is, does anybody has any knowledge about what to do next? i have 16 days.

Sorry

to hear that. I also had my initial interview denied and ended up geting approved with immigration judge.

This thread however is for naturalization applications so my best advice is that you search the forum for people that had the same experience, and if you feel necessary start a brand new thread.

Good luck!

hiya, asylum applicant here.
so i gave an interview almost 2 months ago. yesterday i received the decision on a mail. it says they are intending to deny my asylum application because my oral interview was inconsistent with the written story. so my question is, does anybody has any knowledge about what to do next? i have 16 days.

Mauricio, thanks for clearing that part, we have people asking right questions on the wrong thread and expecting answers

Thankful, It is good seeing again. I will see be on the forum after my official oath ceremony to help with questions to best knowledge though we miss your expertise and knowledge.

MY dear Friend SHEFE
CONGRATULATION..i just found that you gonna get your citizenship oath in a few days..dude..i'm happy for you man..i just got my american PASSPORT and was an amazing sensation..now i need to find a good job..lol..nothing is perfect..but well at least i have my passport to show that i can work for a govertment job
stay in touch my friend

MY Update

Today, I received my naturalization certificate after oath ceremony. Right after the ceremony, I went to the motor vehicles dept to change my driver's license due to name change. Right after, I went to the Social Security office then head down to the Post Office to apply for my US Passport.

Congratulations Shefe!!!!

Best of luck in this new phase of your life. You must feel like a million bucks right now.

Today, I received my naturalization certificate after oath ceremony. Right after the ceremony, I went to the motor vehicles dept to change my driver's license due to name change. Right after, I went to the Social Security office then head down to the Post Office to apply for my US Passport.

Cs8pck

Yes i do but when i got to the post office they collected my original naturalization certificate along with my US passport application.

CONGRATULATION SHEFE..WOOOHOO :cool:
you did it man../now we are officially americans...so happy for you bro
did you make a copy of your certificate before to send it for your passport?
you gonna get it very soon...mine was regular time and only took two weeks..
stay in touch man...
Osogio