• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2011 Winners from Kenya Report Here!

Hi family,

Called KCC yesterday about sending me the 2nd NL on soft copy. They insisted that they will only send it at least one month after dispatch. Since it was sent on 22nd November, i'm supposed to call if it isn't here by 22nd December. At least they confirmed my interview date. In light of the new embassy rules of interviewing the day after document submission, i'm considering taking my documents on the day before my interview at 12 so that I get interviewed as per my KCC letter.

Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.... To be continued.....

Hi family,

Called KCC yesterday about sending me the 2nd NL on soft copy. They insisted that they will only send it at least one month after dispatch. Since it was sent on 22nd November, i'm supposed to call if it isn't here by 22nd December. At least they confirmed my interview date. In light of the new embassy rules of interviewing the day after document submission, i'm considering taking my documents on the day before my interview at 12 so that I get interviewed as per my KCC letter.

Anyway, after I was done with KCC, I called IOM on the chance that they would agree to schedule my medicals without the 2nd NL and they had no problem, they gave me a 7.30 appointment. Now, for all those doing their medicals in Nairobi, take note that the IOM at which the medicals are done is the one on 4th Ngong Avenue, a blue gate just after AAR. This is because when I called to make an appointment, they didn't tell me which IOM this was and so I went to Nairobi Hospital.... To be continued.....

Njugunuts,
Why keep us in suspense? Anyway, am glad to see you and Kamauz keep the thread alive with your upcoming interviews in January. Wishing you all the best in your preparations and in the interview itself. Will keep you both in my prayers. To all forumites happy festive season.

@njuguunuts..hv u done your medicals already?, give us details.......how much u paid, how long it took you, the whole process........ guys is it a must you have the sponsor form????? can someone please advice, do they ask for it at the embassy? and can u get a local sponsor here? is it acceptable?

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN FEBRUARY

For February, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2011 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 26,100 Except: Egypt 20,200
Ethiopia 15,000
Nigeria 12,100
ASIA 14,850
EUROPE 17,600
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 7
OCEANIA 810
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 900

Hi Good people...seeing how the numbers are moving...I might be current either in March or April God willing...so i should expect my 2NL in January or February...now am asking...should i start ol the processes now just incase the NL delays so that i can be ready by the time my interview will be due or should i just wait to receive it?...secondly...should i get recommendation letters from my employer just in case they ask for them? And if its to start the process....should i getthe affidavit of support and police abstract early enough? how long does the police report take to be out? and the medicals?...
wishiing y'al the very best of luck...Peace!

Hi family,

Called KCC yesterday about sending me the 2nd NL on soft copy. They insisted that they will only send it at least one month after dispatch. Since it was sent on 22nd November, I'm supposed to call if it isn't here by 22nd December. At least they confirmed my interview date. In light of the new embassy rules of interviewing the day after document submission, I'm considering taking my documents on the day before my interview at 12 so that I get interviewed as per my KCC letter.

Sorry about that, the reason I had to continue later is that I was posting this at IOM but had to take a break to go do the medical itself. As I had said, I showed up at IOM 4th Ngong Avenue, just after AAR at 7.50am (I think most appointments are around this time and the earlier you go the sooner you leave the place). At the gate, the security guys make sure you are on the list for the day. You then take a seat in the reception area and hand in your passport. The ladies there make a copy of it, then send you for a counseling session where some guy lets you know what tests they'll carry out,how long they will take etc. They check mainly for Syphilis, TB and Hepatitis B though they also do other baseline tests e.g blood sugar. After the counseling session you go pick up your passport and copy, and go the lab where they take an instant photo of you, sign the medical exam forms, hand in 1 passport photo and then proceed for bleeding. You then go and pay for the medical exam.

The exam itself costs 138 USD so depending on the exchange rate for the month which they set, you pay the equivalent in Ksh. The exchange rate for December is 80.3 so I paid Ksh. 11,081. You can pay in dollars if you want but it attracts a 5 USD surcharge since all their accounts are in Ksh.

You then enter an IOM van and are ferried to Nairobi Hospital IOM where you hand in your forms, are X-Rayed (ladies, wear pants not dresses or you will have to completely disrobe and wear the open-back hospital gowns) and then ferried back to 4th Ngong. Once you are back, you then proceed for the physical where a nurse checks your height, weight, vision, blood pressure and pulse. You hand in the 2nd passport photo here. You are then sent to the doctor's where he/she asks about your past medical, surgical and hospitalization history. You are then sent to strip down to your underwear. She checks your ears,teeth and asks you to breath in and out deeply as she listens to your breath and heart sounds. From here I guess its gender specific: because she will feel your breasts, both male and female, and general look and touch at the rest of your body as you lie down, straight to the toes (she doesn't look at sehemu nyeti :), just asks if everything is OK there). Females, she will check the back of your legs for varicose veins as you face the wall, and for everyone she will check to see if your spine is straight.

After the exam she fills in the required immunizations which will vary depending on whether you are pregnant (females), having had chickenpox in the past and your age. Kids get quite a number of shots so for those with young ones (below 12), remember to carry their immunization cards to avoid traumatizing the kids with unnecessary shots coz without the cards, they will have to be repeated. I got three shots: Dultavax (32 USD), MMR (26 USD)and Varicella (54 USD and quite painful!). The pregnant ones don't get the first one and the ones who have had chicken pox don't get the last one. You can therefore calculate approximately how much you need by multiplying by the ones you're likely to need by 80.3. You then go and pay for the vaccinations and receive them. I was done with this by 1.30pm.

After that you are sent home to go and wait for the results. IF there is a problem, they call you the next day so you can come and see the doctor and discuss treatment options etc. and the way forward. IF you don't get any call in the morning, you are fine. I couldn't be able to go the next day to pick up my results so I begged and pleaded for an expedite so I left with my results at 5.10pm (quite a long wait, had to wait for the doctor to finish seeing everyone so she could sign my report). I was given a big envelope with my X-Ray (don't carry this to the interview, but carry it in your hand luggage when emigrating), Vaccination card copy (make a copy of this, carry to the embassy in case they need it, carry in hand luggage and keep safe coz in the States, it'll determine health insurance premiums) and a SEALED medical report (don't attempt to unseal unless you want to pay another 138 USD). They then bid you goodbye and all the best in your interview!

That was my day. Met a few people who were doing their medicals for DV, most seemed to be family sponsored migrants. One guy was doing his medicals for an interview next week on Tuesday, and I thought that was too close. I suggest you do your medicals as soon as possible, since they last for 6 months anyway, coz in-case there is a problem e.g TB which takes 6 months treatment and 2 more months observation, you may not be able to apply for your visa within the DV window. Anyway, the incidence of TB among people without HIV is not high so you shouldn't panic, but those who are positive should do it quickly so that if they have TB they can be treated and still apply. I was freaking out about the TB test coz I work in a HIV and TB clinic, but turns out mungu amenichunga. Amen!

In summary:
1. Get to your interview on time to avoid wasting the whole day there.
2. Carry immunization records where available, especially for children.
3. Carry about Ksh. 21,000 for the whole process (I spent Ksh. 20,075). A little more is better in-case of any eventualities.
4. There is a cafeteria on the premises so you can carry some little money for lunch and/or snacks, esp. those with kids.
5. Make sure your passport photos (2) conform to the standards. Those with bad photos were sent to re-take them and wasted more time and money. They should be on a white background with a really big face in them :) (about half the photo)
6. Don't forget your passport.
7. Say a big prayer and wish for all the best.

Hope you have all learnt something from this. @ Kamauz, go right ahead and schedule your medicals, with or without the 2nd NL. Just carry your 1st NL so they can confirm your case number.

Applied for police clearance on Wednesday 8th and the process is quite straight forward: go to CID headquarters on Kiambu Road, follow the signs to the office (it's on the right). Pay Ksh. 1,000 at a window at the entrance and produce your national ID. Get a copy of the receipt and your ID inside the office @10 bob. Get the original receipt and ID copy stapled to some form, fill in your name and ID number and wait to be called for printing. After printing, get your form and copy of receipt signed and stamped. The certificate is ready in 2 weeks. Don't detach the printing records from the certificate when handing it in to the embassy or it is invalid.

And that concludes my last 2 days. :) Off to do a bit of work. Later!

Last edited by a moderator:
Njugunuts thanks allot for that input..the whole medical process is quite tedious but your input gives me all the pointers i needed..my only hurdle is the vaccination card bit, i cant seem to trace it..does it pose much of an obstacle?

hi guys hwz every1 i was alitle far from network bt nw am bak sory al 4 the delays in replyz.lil angel njugunuts has answerd u do it early 1 or 2 months coz its valid 4 six months.njugunuts n kamauz keep it up u r doing wel i wish u al the best i want us 2 mit some day in states as one family.
wit me am preparin myself am leavin probably early next year jan,feb.....
4 those askin 4 afidavit of suport its nt amust jst get a leter frm sponsor who wil suprt u.

Hi all

It is so encouraging to hear all the good news and I wish you all the best.Going by the Feb visa bulletin,it seems I am current in Feb.My question to those who might have an idea is:
*Does it mean the interview will be in Feb?
*When should we start our medical tests?
*We got our police certificates already from Nairobi, but hope they
won't expire before the interview,how long are they valid?
*Do our sponsors need to fill form 1-134 or only a written letter
confirming their will to support
*Those who are already in the US, pls answer this question,How is the
job market there? working in the area of HIV/AIDS in Asia and
wondering if there are chances of getting Job before I resign from
my employer.
We live in Asia, so our interview will not be in Nairobi.I am hoping everything in Nairobi is going on smoothly and praying here will be the same with us.

CN:24,***
Current in Feb

hi

hi luckylovly, the interview wil b feb so ur nl wil arive by mid dec or end of dec just a leter from sponsor is ok.with me they didnt ask 4 it bt i had it jst in case.
as 4 job market there am in same dillema i havent reserched yet.
oliseh(got some idea),princeann,katimich,n olyn u can help us here like wat r the -maximum workin hrs in a day like here its 8 for a day.
-after how long can some1 be ready with al the document?eg the SSN and resident card.

Njugunuts thanks allot for that input..the whole medical process is quite tedious but your input gives me all the pointers i needed..my only hurdle is the vaccination card bit, i cant seem to trace it..does it pose much of an obstacle?

No, don't worry about it. It's not a problem if you are an adult. Just go ahead with the medical. All the best. It's not that bad, but prepare to spend most of the day there.

Hi Good people...seeing how the numbers are moving...I might be current either in March or April God willing...so i should expect my 2NL in January or February...now am asking...should i start ol the processes now just incase the NL delays so that i can be ready by the time my interview will be due or should i just wait to receive it?...secondly...should i get recommendation letters from my employer just in case they ask for them? And if its to start the process....should i getthe affidavit of support and police abstract early enough? how long does the police report take to be out? and the medicals?...
wishiing y'al the very best of luck...Peace!

1. You can do medicals as early as is convenient for you. You get results the next day.
2. No need for recommendation letters from your employer, maybe for future employment in the States.
3. Wait a little bit to apply for the police clearance, after all only takes 2 weeks. You can apply in January.
4. Never too early to get an AOS, though Nairobi Embassy doesn't seem to ask for it.

Hi all

It is so encouraging to hear all the good news and I wish you all the best.Going by the Feb visa bulletin,it seems I am current in Feb.My question to those who might have an idea is:
*Does it mean the interview will be in Feb?
*When should we start our medical tests?
*We got our police certificates already from Nairobi, but hope they
won't expire before the interview,how long are they valid?
*Do our sponsors need to fill form 1-134 or only a written letter
confirming their will to support
*Those who are already in the US, pls answer this question,How is the
job market there? working in the area of HIV/AIDS in Asia and
wondering if there are chances of getting Job before I resign from
my employer.
We live in Asia, so our interview will not be in Nairobi.I am hoping everything in Nairobi is going on smoothly and praying here will be the same with us.

CN:24,***
Current in Feb
1. If your papers were sent back in good time (on or before August), your interview is most likely in Feb. You can call/email KCC and they'll let you know if your interview is in February.
2. Start medicals as soon as your medical's center there will let you: some require the 2nd NL and some don't e.g the Kenyan one.
3. Police certificates valid for 6 months, and don't detach the fingerprint sheet.
4. If they are willing to fill I-134, well and good. If they are not, a written letter should suffice. No proof of support has been asked for so far in Nairobi, but better to be adequately prepared.
5. Job Prospects: Look on the Lottery DV forum for a guy named Ammeck09 and ask him this question. Also, look through the Kenyan thread for a guy called Kaimitich's and email him. They are the guys on the ground.

Thankyou so much Njugunuts for that detailed brief on medicals,i think you have answered so many quetions members always had in mind.to other members can someone advice me on this.ok. when i did my KCSE i used my moms name as my sir. name in the registration,so my KCSE certificate bares my mom's name as my sir name.however all other documents of mine including the passport and other certificates have my dads name as my sir.name.kindly members advice me if this can cause me problems during the interview.only the sir name,the rest of the names are ok.kindly share....

CN::2011AF00025***
NL Dated: APRIL 2010
1stNL Received: May 2010
Jun 2010 Sent Forms by DHL
DHL Confirm delivery : Jun 2010
Kcc confirms receipt: NOT YET
Interview Confirmed: NOT YET
Police cert:
2nd NL:
Medicals:

Thankyou so much Njugunuts for that detailed brief on medicals,i think you have answered so many quetions members always had in mind.to other members can someone advice me on this.ok. when i did my KCSE i used my moms name as my sir. name in the registration,so my KCSE certificate bares my mom's name as my sir name.however all other documents of mine including the passport and other certificates have my dads name as my sir.name.kindly members advice me if this can cause me problems during the interview.only the sir name,the rest of the names are ok.kindly share....

CN::2011AF00025***

I would suggest you take out a deed poll (ask any lawyer what this is) saying that all the above names refer to you. It also has a place where you say the name you henceforth want to use. It is a legal document sworn before a magistrate/commissioner of oaths and registered in some Ministry (I think of Lands). Quite a long process (though not expensive) so you may want to get onto it stat.

Thanks Magkin.Please those already in the US can you help us understand a little bit or more onthe job market. How is the life there? are we gonnah make it there? give us an idea.

Thanks and God bless yea all!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot Njugunuts for your helpful punctual answers.We returned our forms in early Sept.What do you think of that? Is it gonnah affect the interview date given that we are current in Feb?

God bless you and wish u all his favors and mercies

hi luckylovly, the interview wil b feb so ur nl wil arive by mid dec or end of dec just a leter from sponsor is ok.with me they didnt ask 4 it bt i had it jst in case.
as 4 job market there am in same dillema i havent reserched yet.
oliseh(got some idea),princeann,katimich,n olyn u can help us here like wat r the -maximum workin hrs in a day like here its 8 for a day.
-after how long can some1 be ready with al the document?eg the SSN and resident card.

About documents- you should get your SSN and GC within a month or so- thing have been moving pretty fast recently. Jobs are available but be advised it might need to start with some wired jobs before you find what you like- school is important to be able to move up the ladder.
Work hours are not fixed, all depends on your job, their needs and your energy. Can also keep as many jobs as you wish.
Some cities or parts of cities have no public transportation so plan wisely on where you wish to live.
If you can, try learn some driving if not a yet driving. Your sponsor or for that matter the person who will receive and accomodate you hopefully will be willing to get you started, Life is not easy in the beggining but you will make it.

MOST IMPORTANT THERE IS NO IMPUNITY- you will be locked up quick the law works here which most folks in africa have never lived in an environment where you call the shots at the same time you play by the rules. things like harresment- esp. sexual (sana sana guys) at work or clubs will lock up/ drunk driving is serious stuff- can easily loose your residency.
Merry xmas to yuall be be blessed.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi;
take the opportunity to thank u all for the invaluable, authentic information flowing in this forum.guys preparing for interviews and future winners are in competent hands. Njugunuts(u've made your composition teacher proud!) and Kamauz, we can hear you from base in Nairobi.Kamitich, thanks for the American touch.

about the job situation, my little research concurs with kamitich spot on. Must be willing to settle for less dollars and glamor for the beginning. school must be next in order.hours will depend on your energy n enthusiasm.

check out this website to have a feel of what jobs they advertise, conditions and pay. www.craigslist.org. it advertises jobs/accommodation/cars/furniture et,c by state and city where you'l live.s