• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

For those whose interview was successful...What visa is in your passport?

SADK2

Registered Users (C)
I know you receive a greencard via mail approximately 1 month after entering the US, but what documentation do you get in your passport?

Do you get am immigrant visa so you can travel freely? Someone told me you have to travel with your actual greencard in order to get back into the US? :confused:

My friend was already in the US and she got a stamp in her passport which allowed her to travel...the GC came 12 days later.

I know you receive a greencard via mail approximately 1 month after entering the US, but what documentation do you get in your passport?

Do you get am immigrant visa so you can travel freely? Someone told me you have to travel with your actual greencard in order to get back into the US? :confused:

When you enter the US as an immigrant on a dv visa, you get a stamp in your passport which automatically qualifies you to use it to travel in and out of the US for 1 year. After that you need your GC and passport to travel in and out of the US. Note: You don't get any visa sticker or stamp in your passport.

...... You don't get any visa sticker or stamp in your passport.

???

If you do CP and if DV is approved and issued before 9/30, you do get a visa sticker in your PP.
It is valid for 6 mos from issue date and you have to travel before that and ACTIVATE your PR status.

If you have the ACTIVATE stamp on that sticker (placed by an IO at PoE) , it is valid for travel and various other purposes (jobs, SS# etc) up to 1 Yr from the activation date.

Hope this helps.

Best !

PS: Chk page 47 of the following. (whole doc is also useful info when you start work )

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/m-274.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
???

If you do CP and if DV is approved and issued before 9/30, you do get a visa sticker in your PP.
It is valid for 6 mos from issue date and you have to travel before that and ACTIVATE your PR status.

If you have the ACTIVATE stamp on that sticker (placed by an IO at PoE) , it is valid for travel and various other purposes (jobs, SS# etc) up to 1 Yr from the activation date.

Hope this helps.

Best !

PS: Chk page 47 of the following. (whole doc is also useful info when you start work )

Please, read the thread opener's question again. I imply after getting the GC and having entered the US, you don't get another visa sticker in your passport in order to travel in and out of the US.

???

Hope this helps.

Best !

When do you get your fingerprint done for the greencard? Do they do it at the embassy?!

When you enter as an immigrant in USA, you will a stamp in your passport until you get your green card. This is how the process for DV Lottery visas.