Documents needed for Naturalization

Certified translation

Hey guys, does anybody know what does certified translation of documents mean? I have bunch of documents on Ukrainian language. Can I translate them by myself and then notarized it? or I need special certified translator? If yes where I can find him? thanks in advance

citizenship filing can be done 90 days before 5 years

Hello All,

I am planning to apply for my US citizenship 90 before the end of 5 years, as per the application form information.

Is anybody applied on the same boat? Will there be any issues regarding this? Please shed some light.:)

Thanks,

usacitizentobe

You are right on. 90 days before 5 yrs anniversary is when you can officially apply.

Hello All,

I am planning to apply for my US citizenship 90 before the end of 5 years, as per the application form information.

Is anybody applied on the same boat? Will there be any issues regarding this? Please shed some light.:)

Thanks,

usacitizentobe

Hey guys, does anybody know what does certified translation of documents mean? I have bunch of documents on Ukrainian language. Can I translate them by myself and then notarized it? or I need special certified translator? If yes where I can find him? thanks in advance

It is the cheaper option. I am not sure USCIS will reject that so long it is notarized.

How to prove less than 6 month absence from US if the passport or re-entry permit was not stamped?

Hi!

I am planning to apply for US Citizenship as a permanent resident in April 2013 (it will be 5 years in July 2013). I got my green card in July 2008. In October 2010 my company relocated me to Canada as a local Canadian employee and I am returning to US in the end of this year. So out of the 5 year period I have spend 27 months in Canada.

During my 27 months in Canada, I have have had a valid US re-entry permit and visited US at least twice a year roughly every 6-7 months. I still have a house in US and have filed taxes as a permanent resident declaring my world income from Canada in the US. I also have credit cards, bank accounts and 401k savings in the US. So I guess I should by ticking off most of the boxes to at least give it a shot to make it worth applying.

Does USCIS require proof of every visit I have made to US during the 27 month period in Canada? Or do they have their own records to confirm the stays after I have listed all the dates? The problem I have is that the US officers on the border hardly ever stamped my passport or re-entry permit because I made majority of the trips to US by car driving down south to my house and usually staying a couple of weeks at a time. Will this be an issue? And is there a secondary way USCIS would accept as a proof from during your stay such as credit card statements, photos etc?

Many Thanks for Your insight! S.A.

Question :
Do you know why the I-751 approval always take up to 7-10 months to get approved ?
What are all are they checking during this process ? Do they do the IBIS/FBI checks in this process too as they will do in the I-400 process.
If for any reason, they find a reason to deny an applicant, will USCIS notify the applicant with the reason/reasons for denial ?

Yemi:

I know that you posted your questions first over here and then sent thru private message as well. I would appreciate to keep your query on the forum than thru private messaging; otherwise the purpose of this forum wouldn't be able to serve.

"Do you know why the I-751 approval always take up to 7-10 months to get approved ?"

Adjudication of I-751 is not the priority for USCIS compared to other immigration applications/petitions because applicants for I-751 petition do remain in a legal status and they do not risk of losing their status anytime soon despite of filing this petition so to say that USCIS has to act quickly on this kind of application. As a matter of fact, conditional residents do get an extension to their status for one more year after filing I-751. And since USCIS has limited resources (not enough officers to adjudicate all kinds of applications on time) and applicants for I-751 don't risk losing their status nor risk deportation, adjudication on this kind of applications is not a priority which makes them to touch these applications many months later of filing.

"What are all are they checking during this process ?"

They actually check the bonafide of the marriage, or more into the marital relationship. If parties do get divorced then they still want to make sure that parties were in a bonafide relationship along with divorce circumstances. If there was any abuse then they still want to make sure that the marital relationship was bonafide and some inquiry into the abuse. In another word, they are just following a stupid law that Congress enacted a few years back which talks about-(1) granting only a conditional residency if marriage was less than 2 years at the time of adjudication and then (2) another review of marital union after 2 years of marriage in order to grant permanent residency. This law makes no sense because it has many provisions to grant permanent residency anyway even if marriage lasts less than 2 years like removing the condition based on divorce decree and on abuse based, so why even put a condition when they allow to remove the condition anyway no matter what. Make no sense at all. Just wasting of money for applicants and time/resources for the govt.

"Do they do the IBIS/FBI checks in this process too as they will do in the I-400 process"

They do both checks at the time of removing the condition as well as at the time of becoming a naturalized citizen. Just to know that not every applicant for I-751 files N-400. Also, there are other more background checks on naturalization applicants.

"If for any reason, they find a reason to deny an applicant, will USCIS notify the applicant with the reason/reasons for denial ?"

Yes. USCIS ALWAYS provides reason and do notify, most of the time by a certified mail as to why an application is denied. They also provide instructions how one could appeal. An appeal could take up to US Supreme court which means it could take many years in fighting in all these courts...

Last edited by a moderator:
documents needed for N400 for my mom

Hi forum gurus,

Appreciate if some one answers my query.

My mom is GC holder (Spnsored by me) and it has been 5 and half years since she is on GC.
She stays with me as dependant. No employment.
My dad still leaves in my home country and never visited us.

I have been filing her as dependant on my tax forums.

For N400
1. Do I need to submit my mom's marriage certificate even though she is not applying thru

Thank You so much JohnnyCash. You have enlightened me with your answers. I am currently at the I-751 stage and hopefully I can get approval soon and move to the next level. I will be in touch when the time comes for your advice. Again, thank You

No. Your mom doesn't need her marriage certificate but she would need to write down her marriage details on N-400 as naturalization application does ask all the info from applicants about their ALL marriages, current and past.

Hi forum gurus,

Appreciate if some one answers my query.

My mom is GC holder (Spnsored by me) and it has been 5 and half years since she is on GC.
She stays with me as dependant. No employment.
My dad still leaves in my home country and never visited us.

I have been filing her as dependant on my tax forums.

For N400
1. Do I need to submit my mom's marriage certificate even though she is not applying thru

I guess marriage certificate is not needed for application but for naturalization interview it may be needed.

My parents are married log time ago and there is no registration done.
How do I get the Marriage certificate.

Thx

I guess marriage certificate is not needed for application but for naturalization interview it may be needed.

My parents are married log time ago and there is no registration done.
How do I get the Marriage certificate.

Thx

They will not ask your mom about the marriage certificate. She is applying based on 5-year residency.

JohnnyCash,
Can someone check their own IBIS/FBI information before filing to make sure that they are clean in case they forget anything that may come up after filing? If so, which company will you recommend ?

JohnnyCash/dhunar,
Happy New Year to everyone- Its 2013- I pray 2013 is a good year for those of us in the immigration struggles.
Questions :
1. My 2 yr conditional residence date showed 05/07/10 and my 10 green card that arrived last week shows a different date of 08/22/10- should I fill out the I-90 to get this corrected since I may have to wait additional 3 months to file my I-400? Filing with in the 3 yrs criteria since I am still married to a us citizen and can file 90 days before the residency date. I was hoping to file in February before but with the new date on the 10 yrs green card, I may have to wait till May.
2. - I tried the website given by dhlunar above and had no luck. Is the site correct or I am doing something wrong and where do you go to get the info for the customs/border patrol to be on the safe side before even applying?
Anyone can answer these questions if they have any idea.
Thank You and happy new year to all.

JohnnyCash/dhunar,
Happy New Year to everyone- Its 2013- I pray 2013 is a good year for those of us in the immigration struggles.

Thanks, Happy New Year to you also.

1. My 2 yr conditional residence date showed 05/07/10 and my 10 green card that arrived last week shows a different date of 08/22/10- should I fill out the I-90 to get this corrected since I may have to wait additional 3 months to file my I-400? Filing with in the 3 yrs criteria since I am still married to a us citizen and can file 90 days before the residency date. I was hoping to file in February before but with the new date on the 10 yrs green card, I may have to wait till May.

Do you have a copy of the original approval letter that was mailed to you in 2010. If the approval letter from 2010 does say residence since 5/7/2010 then I would submit an I-90 with a copy of the original approval letter, your new 10-year card, and a note that the resident since date is incorrect. The reason for filing the I-90 would be USCIS error in that case. Unfortantly, you would need to send in your new 10 year card (the actual card) and it will take you about 3 months until your new card would be issued. If I am not mistaken you will also be required to go to another ASC appointment after you file the I-90.

2. - I tried the website given by dhlunar above and had no luck. Is the site correct or I am doing something wrong and where do you go to get the info for the customs/border patrol to be on the safe side before even applying?
Anyone can answer these questions if they have any idea.
Thank You and happy new year to all.

The link I provided was to the FBI in order to do your own name check on yourself. I apologize but the forum truncated the URL.

If you need want information regarding your entrances and exits from the United States Government that would be under CBP (Customs and Border Protection). You would have to submit a Freedom of Information Act request with their office. http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/admin/fl/foia/

I just realized that you might be able to prove the error by sending in either the original or a copy of your conditional GC. I don't know if they would need the original or not of that document.

Thanks dhlunar
So the reason for the customs/border patrol is to check your entrances/exits of individuals? Correct? and the FBI does the crime checks, right ?
Do they do this at every stage even though I just received my 10 yrs less than 2 months ago ? Shouldn't that make the I-400 to go faster ?
I spoke to one attorney who told me that I can still file the I400 before the 10yr card got corrected. What do you think ?
Thanks

If one receives ASC appointment and was lucky to get it done earlier than scheduled date, does this speed up the process or does not even matter ?