DHS requires New Fingerprints at Airports Exits for Non-Citizens

rick92

Volunteer Moderator
DHS Proposes Biometric Airport and Seaport Exit Procedures
Release Date: April 22, 2008

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

Collection of Alien Biometric Data upon Exit from the United States at Air and Sea Points of Departure; US-VISIT Program

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced today a notice of proposed rulemaking that will establish biometric exit procedures at all U.S air and sea ports of departure. The majority of non-U.S. citizens are already required to submit digital fingerprints and a digital photograph for admission into the country. The US-VISIT Exit proposal would require non-U.S. citizens who provide biometric identifiers for admission to also provide digital fingerprints when departing the country from any air or sea ports of departure.

“The 9/11 Commission called for biometric entry and exit records, because biometrics confirm that travelers are who they say they are and the purpose of their travel is as they claim it to be,” said Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff. “We’ve built an effective entry system, and combined with the proposed exit system, we’ll have made a quantum leap in America’s border security. Air and sea carriers would actively participate in the proposed exit system, and I look forward to an ongoing dialogue on solutions to meet this key 9/11 Commission recommendation.”

The United States Congress, the 9/11 Commission and the department have concluded that biometric records of the entry and exit of international visitors are essential for the integrity of the nation’s immigration and border management system. The proposed rule does not change current exit procedures for departing visitors. Visitors departing the U.S. should continue to return their paper Form I-94 or Form I-94W to airline or ship representatives.

The proposed rule would require commercial air carriers and cruise line owners and operators collect and transmit international visitors’ biometric information to DHS within 24 hours of leaving the United States. Carriers are already required to transmit biographic information to DHS for all passengers prior to their departure from the United States. DHS is committed to protecting the privacy of international visitors and will require that these systems meet the department’s transmission capability and data security requirements. The proposed rule does not designate a specific location within the port of departure for biometric collection and does not apply to small carriers or vessel owners and operators, or to general aviation.

DHS completed a test of biometric exit procedures at several U.S. airports and seaports last year. Based on the results of this test, DHS determined that biometric exit procedures must be integrated into the existing traveler process to ensure compliance and provide visitors with a consistent experience from port to port.

DHS intends to implement air and sea biometric exit procedures by January 2009, fulfilling a key provision of the Implementing the Recommendations of the 9/11 Commission Act of 2007. This proposed rule will enable the Secretary of DHS to retain the necessary authority to manage the Visa Waiver Program effectively. If the exit program has not been implemented by June 30, 2009 the department may not be able to extend Visa Waiver Program privileges to new countries. The Secretary's waiver authority is critical for the United States to invite more of its allies to participate in the Visa Waiver Program.

The notice of proposed rulemaking will be published in the Federal Register and will provide the general public an opportunity to submit written comments electronically or by mail. Once published, comments may be submitted via:

Federal Rulemaking Portal: www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments. All submissions received must include the agency name and docket number for this rulemaking. All comments received will be posted without change to www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided.
Mail: Written comments may be submitted to: US-VISIT, Attn: Air Exit NPRM, Department of Homeland Security, 1616 N. Fort Myer Drive, 18th Floor, Arlington, VA 22209.
Submissions must include the agency name and docket number DHS-2008-0039. The text of the proposed rule is available at www.dhs.gov. Following the 60‑day public comment period and review, a final rule will be published outlining the new requirements and their effective date.

See Notes Below

US-VISIT Air-Sea Biometric Exit, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking

The Department of Homeland Security has issued a notice of proposed rulemaking to establish an exit program at all airports and seaports of departure in the United States.

Under this rule, the Department proposes to require non-U.S. citizens subject to US-VISIT biometric requirements upon entering the United States to also provide biometric identifiers-digital fingerprints-prior to departing the United States from airports or seaports of departure.

The Proposed Rule requires commercial air carriers and vessel owners and operators to collect and transmit this biometric exit information to Homeland Security, in conjunction with passenger manifest information already being collected and submitted by the carriers. The proposed rule would not apply to small carriers and vessel owners and operators, or to general aviation.

Collection of Alien Biometric Data upon Exit from the United States at Air and Sea Points of Departure; US-VISIT Program (PDF, 91 pages - 7 MB)

Comment Period
Once published in the Federal Register, comments will be accepted for 60 days. Comments may be submitted via:

Federal Rulemaking Portal: www.regulations.gov. Follow the instructions for submitting comments. All submissions received must include the agency name and docket number for this rulemaking. All comments received will be posted without change to www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided.
Mail: Written comments may be submitted to: US-VISIT, Attn: Air Exit NPRM, Department of Homeland Security, 1616 N. Fort Myer Drive, 18th Floor, Arlington, VA 22209.
All comments submitted must include the agency name and docket number DHS-2008-0039.

Following the 60 day public comment period and review, a Final Rule will be published outlining the new requirements and their effective date.

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/us-visit-nprm-airseaexit.pdf

Fingerprints for LPR's

They are already discussing it. They have found instances of fraud with real LPR's Green Cards at CBP Points of Entry. They are starting to close the loopholes. When they are finished, it will be pretty secure.:cool:

Wow...getting closer to world order!..Just great!
I'll change my fingerprints just to annoy them!

Nothing new here. US-VISIT program has been in place for quit some time now, they just want to add the "exit" requirement. US-VISIT program is NOT apply to LPR, it only apply to non-immigration visa holders when enter/exit US.

Nothing new here. US-VISIT program has been in place for quit some time now, they just want to add the "exit" requirement. US-VISIT program is NOT apply to LPR, it only apply to non-immigration visa holders when enter/exit US.
But they plan to extend it to permanent residents, according to page 20 of the PDF:

On July 27,2006, DHS proposed to expand the population of aliens required to provide biometric information under US-VISIT. See 71 FR 42605. Under that proposed rule, DHS would extend US-VISIT requirements to all aliens, including permanent residents, with the exception of aliens who are specifically exempted and Canadian citizens applying for admission as B 1lB2 visitors for business or pleasure. The Department anticipates issuing a final rule before the end of 2008.

RE: Totally Correct - NWO coming up to a theater near YOU

NWO (New World Order) coming up to a theater near you and we have seen nothing yet. I am telling you, it's better off to be a citizen than to be the ham or the chesse on the sandwich.:eek:

They are already discussing it. They have found instances of fraud with real LPR's Green Cards at CBP Points of Entry. They are starting to close the loopholes. When they are finished, it will be pretty secure.:cool:
Yes, this is true. I can tell you that several times at a land border crossing from Mexico, I have witnessed a CBP guard examining somebody's fingerprint and trying to match it with what is printed on the card. They get out their flashlights and take a really close look. This sort of entry / exit mechanism will remove any doubt about that sort of fraud.

Jackolantern - does the PDF file state when the US VISIT system will be applied to LPRs?

RE: CBP POE Dates

Yes, this is true. I can tell you that several times at a land border crossing from Mexico, I have witnessed a CBP guard examining somebody's fingerprint and trying to match it with what is printed on the card. They get out their flashlights and take a really close look. This sort of entry / exit mechanism will remove any doubt about that sort of fraud.

Jackolantern - does the PDF file state when the US VISIT system will be applied to LPRs?

Hey, final ruling will be at end of 2008. After that, no exact date yet, but as soon as the system is up, everybody who is not a US citizen will go little by little into the database.-

CBP = Customs & Border Patrol
POE = Points of Entry

I think it is all somewhat silly. "Bad" people can get into the country in ways that don't require to provide fingerprints. This is going to control regular law abiding citizens and do pretty much nothing for security. Big deal a "bad" guy gets in the country and overstays the visa. They would still have six months to do anything "bad" the "bad" people do and some change, as I really doubt the U.S. government would have the resources to try to locate all people who still overstay their visas. It's just going to be a big database of law abiding people, who if at any time in life decide to stop being law abiding citizens to protest an injustice or do something out of the ordinary are going to be easier to track down like rabbits.

On a practical note, I am not sure how this is going to work at land crossings, and for example in the case of a person who comes to the U.S. by plane, but then decides to leave the country by land through Canada or Mexico.

I am thinking about providing my comment. I think this rule is plain a waste of money. "Bad" people are found by policing and intelligence gathering, not by an entry/exit system. The entry/exit system is just going to lead to costly fights by people to show they really left the country when they try to come back later and they are shown to have overstayed their visas. Bureaucratic nightmare without much security benefit, that's my take.

Re: Cbp Poe Nssers

I think it is all somewhat silly. "Bad" people can get into the country in ways that don't require to provide fingerprints. This is going to control regular law abiding citizens and do pretty much nothing for security. Big deal a "bad" guy gets in the country and overstays the visa. They would still have six months to do anything "bad" the "bad" people do and some change, as I really doubt the U.S. government would have the resources to try to locate all people who still overstay their visas. It's just going to be a big database of law abiding people, who if at any time in life decide to stop being law abiding citizens to protest an injustice or do something out of the ordinary are going to be easier to track down like rabbits.

On a practical note, I am not sure how this is going to work at land crossings, and for example in the case of a person who comes to the U.S. by plane, but then decides to leave the country by land through Canada or Mexico.

I am thinking about providing my comment. I think this rule is plain a waste of money. "Bad" people are found by policing and intelligence gathering, not by an entry/exit system. The entry/exit system is just going to lead to costly fights by people to show they really left the country when they try to come back later and they are shown to have overstayed their visas. Bureaucratic nightmare without much security benefit, that's my take.

They will close that loophole and they will track us down like NON US rabbits through IBIS.-

POE = Points of Entry
NSSERS= Entry Exit Registration System
IBIS = Interagency Border Inspection System

They will close that loophole and they will track us down like NON US rabbits through IBIS.-

POE = Points of Entry

CBP = Customs and Border Protection
POE = Port of Entry

the other two seem right :)

Hopefully, I will become a US citizen sometime this year.

When I'm a US citizen, I don't think I'll object to being
fingerprinted when I leave/enter the US.

The DHS doesn't call for fingerprinted of US passport-
holders, but I think that's just silly. A terrorist can just
as easily get their hands on a US passport and sneak
into the US.

About a week ago, I watched a TV news report about
two sisters who looked almost identical to each other.
(but they are not identical twins, and one is 4 years
older than the other one) The older sister frequently
travels overseas for business. The other one has never
even traveled outside of the USA, and therefore doesn't
even have a passport. The younger sister recently used
her older sister's passport to travel to another country
and back into the USA. On photo, nobody could tell
them apart, not even their parents.... If fingerprinting
was applied to US citizens, this would not have been
possible.

It is extremely silly to apply these measures to noncitizens and not to citizens. Like Ned50 said, if they can't use a stolen or borrowed green card because of the fingerprinting, they'll just use a stolen or borrowed passport where the fingerprinting doesn't apply.

Another silly aspect is the fingerprinting on departure. What is that supposed to accomplish? Unless they're going to take fingerprints after the airplane has shut its doors, it makes it easier for the bad guys to fool the government into thinking they have left. Just give the fingerprint at the boarding gate but don't go on the plane. Or go on the plane and come off before they shut the doors. And unless they plan to check passports at the boarding gate and force people who aren't US citizens to give a fingerprint before boarding the plane, they can also fool DHS into thinking they're here when they're gone. Just get on the plane without giving the print.

It's nothing but a power grab, and a way to make money for the owners of the security companies (many of whom are Bush's friends).

RE: Fingerprinting

It is extremely silly to apply these measures to noncitizens and not to citizens. Like Ned50 said, if they can't use a stolen or borrowed green card because of the fingerprinting, they'll just use a stolen or borrowed passport where the fingerprinting doesn't apply.

It's nothing but a power grab, and a way to make money for the owners of the security companies (many of whom are Bush's friends).

There must be different ways to avoid being detected when you are a terrorist especially if you want to harm many people. In respect to central european countries, nobody is using fingerprinting, even if you got fingerprinted you could still overstay your visa. They do it in Europe all the time, why not in the US ???

As far as americans born in the US, don't forget who blew up the fed bldg in Oaklahoma, it was somebody that was born here. So, it is all relative.

POE = Points of Entry

I think they are looking for me... sorry guys all have to go through this pain coz of me... I will wear gloves like Michael Jackson though... it will keep me away from those stupid static shock too. :)

RE: Fingerprinting & Freedoms

I think they are looking for me... sorry guys all have to go through this pain coz of me... I will wear gloves like Michael Jackson though... it will keep me away from those stupid static shock too. :)

Someboy on this forum (NED50) was talking about all kinds of different choices anybody could think about in ref to Points of Entry. What happens with the americans born here ? Once they are done with the immigrants, they are going after those americans who have never been fingerprinted.

Most everybody in this forum does not have a problem, because they have been fingerprinted a couple of times in the US and in some other countries it is customary to be fingerprinted since you are a kid.-

:rolleyes:

I think this is all data collection. Preparation for the NWO! By the way,it takes less then 20 min to change your fingerprints. Any plastic surgent can do it easily.