10 years living in US in legal status

paaroo

Registered Users (C)
Hi Gurus,

Do you have any idea about what advantages are available after living 10 years continuously in US in a legal status?.

Been here over 16 years with out a trafic ticket and never violated US Laws At any case. But sure paid a lots of taxes. My taxes could jave done real good for the Victims of Cyclone in Bangladesh. But this rich country took all. Hahahah

Of course there is..you can retire after getting 40 points in social security taxes (which takes 10 years - check your SS statement) and settle in any country and receive approx $1200 per month. One big advantage of staying in US for 10 + years

Of course I dont know what you would have to show as proof of retirement in US but in India, of course yes!

I think.. this answer is not correct

I think, in order to get social security benefits you should be a citizen.
Just by earning 40 credits, does not do any good for you.. Experts..please advise

Of course there is..you can retire after getting 40 points in social security taxes (which takes 10 years - check your SS statement) and settle in any country and receive approx $1200 per month. One big advantage of staying in US for 10 + years

Of course I dont know what you would have to show as proof of retirement in US but in India, of course yes!

Sure. But do not miss two points where I am assuming age group of 30-40

1. Social Security would be bankrupt by the time any of us reaches the age to get anything out of it.

2. My understanding is you have to wait till 65 to withdraw from Social Security.

Enjoy the benefits.

There is no such requirement. Permanent Residents are eligible for SS benefits, as are non-immigrants who contributed for >40 quarters and no longer reside in the US.

Or one is jobless/becomes disabled. Remember that SS benefits will be offerred no matter which part of the world you are.

For that matter a person could go to his home country, abandon his job/calim disability and claim for SS benefits. There are very less I see the SS officials can do in such a case.

There are very less I see the SS officials can do in such a case.

You cannot claim SS disability merely on your say-so. Until SSA declares you disabled, you don't get a cent. I'm not sure what the requirements are for that; if you need to be examined by a US doctor.

...Permanent Residents are eligible for SS benefits, as are non-immigrants who contributed for >40 quarters and no longer reside in the US.

I never thought that non-immigrants would be eligible for SS benefits having worked for more than 10 years. Am I reading this correctly? Will the non-immigrant have to be physically present in the US to collect the benefits? RealCanadian, if you could provide some kind of a link towards detailed answers I would appreciate this.

I never thought that non-immigrants would be eligible for SS benefits having worked for more than 10 years. Am I reading this correctly?

Yes. If you contribute for 40 quarters, you can be eligible, depending on your citizenship.

Will the non-immigrant have to be physically present in the US to collect the benefits?

No, SSA can pay abroad.

RealCanadian, if you could provide some kind of a link towards detailed answers I would appreciate this.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html

Yes. If you contribute for 40 quarters, you can be eligible, depending on your citizenship.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10137.html

RealCanadian- What do you mean by 'depending on your citizenship'? Does one have to be a US citizen? Or a citizen of one of those countries that have a reciprocity (sic) agreement with the US?

What if I am an Indian citizen, only a PR and does not have my US citizenship. If I decide to leave the US now, can I apply for SS benefits when retire at age 67- at which point I may be living in India without a US citizenship. Will I still be eligible?

Sorry for all the questions but this has been bugging me for a while.

What if I am an Indian citizen, only a PR and does not have my US citizenship. If I decide to leave the US now, can I apply for SS benefits when retire at age 67- at which point I may be living in India without a US citizenship. Will I still be eligible?

I don't know. Read the page.

If I am reading this correctly on the SS web site, then I should be eligible for SS benefits even if I am not a US citizen and live in India.
Am I reading this correctly or am I missing something here?

You are a citizen of one of the countries listed below, and the worker on whose record your benefits are based lived in the U.S. for at least 10 years or earned at least 40 credits under the U.S. Social Security system. If you are receiving benefits as a dependent or survivor, see additional requirements.

* Afghanistan
* Australia
* Bangladesh

* Bhutan
* Botswana
* Burma
* Burundi
* Cameroon
* Cape Verde
* Central African Rep.
* Chad
* China
* Congo, Rep. of
* Ethiopia
* Fiji
* Gambia
* Ghana

* Haiti
* Honduras
* India
* Indonesia
* Kenya
* Laos
* Lebanon
* Lesotho
* Liberia
* Madagascar
* Malawi
* Malaysia
* Mali
* Mauritania
* Mauritius
* Morocco
* Nepal
* Nigeria
* Pakistan

* St. Vincent & Grenadines
* Senegal
* Sierra Leone
* Singapore
* Solomon Islands
* Somalia
* South Africa
* Sri Lanka
* Sudan
* Swaziland
* Taiwan
* Tanzania
* Thailand
* Togo
* Tonga
* Tunisia
* Uganda
* Yemen

RealCanadian- What do you mean by 'depending on your citizenship'? Does one have to be a US citizen? Or a citizen of one of those countries that have a reciprocity (sic) agreement with the US?

Sorry for all the questions but this has been bugging me for a while.

If I am reading this correctly on the SS web site, then I should be eligible for SS benefits even if I am not a US citizen and live in India.
Am I reading this correctly or am I missing something here?

What you're reading is absolutely correct. SS benefits can be paid even if you are not living in US.

@RealCanadian, what i meant is that job loss may be a reason to claim SS benefits but I am not sure.