Letter of no impediment

Whippy

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I have just been informed that there is a new law for South Africa requiring a letter of no impediment from me before the marriage can take place (I am American, marrying South African Citizen in South Africa)

Since this is a new law, I cannot find any information on the letter on any of the home affairs websites and my fiancee called the office of consulate in Pretoria and the lady that Leslie spoke to did not have clear answers.

Could someone please tell me where I GET one of these letters and where I will need to take it when it is completed? My fiancee lives in Port Elizabeth and the closest consulate is in Cape Town, over 300 miles away so does this mean we now have to travel to Cape Town before the wedding, or do you think information can be faxed?

Is anyone here familiar with a letter of no impediment that can please give us more info?

Thank you

I have tried my local Courthouse, City Hall and Vital Records and no one even knows what this letter IS, let alone where to find one.

Any help please?

To obtain a Letter of No Impediment (Marital Status):
Contact the Population (Marriages) Section at the Department of Home Affairs at
Tel No (012) 810 8126.

I pulled this off the internet from the following web site. Hope it helps.

http://www.dfa.gov.za/consular/legalisation.htm

I sure hope that this was a South African website and not somewhere else. You might already know about the above info.

I also found this.

Letter of no impediment

In some instances when a South African wishes to enter into marriage the foreign Authorities request a letter to the effect that the person is according to the South African authorities illegible to marry. The following documentation should be submitted:

- A duly completed application form for confirmation of marital status obtainable from SA Mission
- A motivation for a letter of no impediment
- Copy of SA passport and/or identity document
- The prescribed fee of EURO 4,00* (revisable each financial year)

http://www.saembvie.at/konsular/southafrican.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you simsd! I had received essentially the same information from an e-mail I got back from one of my various inquires, but our preacher was getting conflicting info from Home Affairs in South Africa which caused this mix up!!

My fiancee has sense FINALLY gotten a hold of someone at the US embassy who has spelled things out for us. The letter is in fact something that SHE must provide and is the same thing as the "Declaration for Purpose of Marriage"

What you have provided is validation of this info so thanks for the extra peace of mind!! :)

Question for Whippy

Whippy,

I'm an American marrying a South African, in South Africa, in a couple months. Since you recently went through this I was wondering if there is anything I need to provide? Our Pastor has also said I need a Letter of No Impediment. Thanks for any info.

Cedric

Hi Cedric,

Congratulations :)

Here is what was needed from my side:

-US Passport with your Temporary Residence Permit stamp (you will get this when you enter SA)
-One passport photo (take a couple just in case)
-Any documentation of previous marriages being legally terminated or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable)

Your fiancee should need her ID book as well as documentation of past marriages being terminated (again, if applicable)

Everything else needed was supplied by our pastor, including this elusive "Letter of No Impediment" which ended up being (If I remember correctly) the "Letter of confirmation of marital status"

I will confirm all this info with my wife tomorrow and post here again to let you know for sure what all you and your future spouse need.

I don't know how long you plan on being in South Africa, but if it is for only a short time let me know because I can provide you with a tip that MAY allow you to get your unabridged marriage certificate MUCH faster than Home Affairs usually takes. My wife and I were able to visit the local Home Affairs in Port Elizabeth and leave with our marriage certificate in hand in less than an hour which is like WOW.

Yes Cedric, the above is what you will need. Good luck and let me know if you would like that additional info on the marriage certificate and I'll PM it to you as it includes a contact name and telephone number.

Thank you

Steve,

I appreciate all the information! So far things are looking good. We've contacted the U.S. emabassy where we live and they supplied a letter the minister in South Africa said would work. Now it's just all the last minute details to iron out. Thank you again.

Cedric

wedding on june

Hi, i don't know if you are still keeping an eye on that forum but i have hope!
i will be coming in a month in SA, in Durban, to join my fiancé, we are getting married on the 4th june and i saw above you have a tip to get the certificate quickly from the home affairs, i would appreciate to know about it knowing i would apply for my residential permit as a spouse directly after the wedding and so need the certificate to do so :)

Also i have been wondering what i should fill in the immigration paper give in the plane or so at the entry in SA at the airport by that i mean what kind of visa am i suppose to get when i arrived knowing i am coming in purpose of getting married and long stay for the best and the worse with my futur husband :p

letter of non impediment - do i need to give one to DHA in south africa?

hi,

i am also a US citizen getting married in south africa soon on 5 april.

i have three questions:

a) what is the secret tip for getting the unabridged marriage cert quickly?!

b) do i, as a US citizen, need the "letter of non impediment" to register our marriage with south african Home Affairs? what is this exactly? is it something i must get from my consulate? or is it one and the same with this "declaration for purpose of marriage" "dha-31" "bi-31" which I sign to say that i am not married???

c) does my partner need a letter of non impediment from south african home affairs in order for us to apply for his immigration visa to go to the US? or is that letter only needed for foreigners marrying in the US (we are marrying in SA)

thanks in advance everyone

Hi, i don't know if you are still keeping an eye on that forum but i have hope!
i will be coming in a month in SA, in Durban, to join my fiancé, we are getting married on the 4th june and i saw above you have a tip to get the certificate quickly from the home affairs, i would appreciate to know about it knowing i would apply for my residential permit as a spouse directly after the wedding and so need the certificate to do so :)

Also i have been wondering what i should fill in the immigration paper give in the plane or so at the entry in SA at the airport by that i mean what kind of visa am i suppose to get when i arrived knowing i am coming in purpose of getting married and long stay for the best and the worse with my futur husband :p

All I know is the certificate of no impediment is available at the embassy/consulate for $50 (yes, it nuts!). You can also try your city in the US. I got one from New York City for about $15 or something.

Foreigners don't need a certificate to get married in the US.

Hi

Hi,

I wanted to know if you could PM me as to how to get an unabridged marriage certificate. I would really appreciate it. I will be getting married in March 2014.

Thanks

Hi Cedric,

Congratulations :)

Here is what was needed from my side:

-US Passport with your Temporary Residence Permit stamp (you will get this when you enter SA)
-One passport photo (take a couple just in case)
-Any documentation of previous marriages being legally terminated or death certificate of previous spouse (if applicable)

Your fiancee should need her ID book as well as documentation of past marriages being terminated (again, if applicable)

Everything else needed was supplied by our pastor, including this elusive "Letter of No Impediment" which ended up being (If I remember correctly) the "Letter of confirmation of marital status"

I will confirm all this info with my wife tomorrow and post here again to let you know for sure what all you and your future spouse need.

I don't know how long you plan on being in South Africa, but if it is for only a short time let me know because I can provide you with a tip that MAY allow you to get your unabridged marriage certificate MUCH faster than Home Affairs usually takes. My wife and I were able to visit the local Home Affairs in Port Elizabeth and leave with our marriage certificate in hand in less than an hour which is like WOW.