are there really no jobs in Canada

bollywoodboyz

Registered Users (C)
hi guys,

i am planning to move to canada...but according to several of your post it seems that it's nearly impossible to find job in canada. Are there any success stories here..pls share.

I have searched in various jobs in canada (like monster.ca, workopolis.ca, HRDC job bank, careerbuilder.ca etc etc) and i see numberous position in my field (Unix administrator- IT sector). Are those all fake advertisement or something. I mean don't these people hire anyone. I am not being sarcastic. I really like to know as i have applied for canadian immigration and now i am scared...what if i don't find work in canada.

please share your experience and if anyone can help pls pm me. I will e-mail you resume. anyone out there pls help

hi guys,

i am planning to move to canada...but according to several of your post it seems that it's nearly impossible to find job in canada. Are there any success stories here..pls share.

I have searched in various jobs in canada (like monster.ca, workopolis.ca, HRDC job bank, careerbuilder.ca etc etc) and i see numberous position in my field (Unix administrator- IT sector). Are those all fake advertisement or something. I mean don't these people hire anyone. I am not being sarcastic. I really like to know as i have applied for canadian immigration and now i am scared...what if i don't find work in canada.

please share your experience and if anyone can help pls pm me. I will e-mail you resume. anyone out there pls help

There are success stories in Canada but they are very few. I do not mean to scare you, but the job market in Canada is not strong. Therefore, you will see many posts here where people just land in Canada and go back to the US. Cdn immigration (PR status) is used as a plan B - an insurance policy - just in case if people do not get a US green card.

But what would i do for 3 years since after getting canadian PR...i need to be in canada for 3 years in order to obtain citizenship. I mean i know it's not your problem, but i just like to know your (or anyone elses) opinion on IT position. I see lots of ads in job bank for canada. Are those ads just there without any openings.

Everybody in this forum does compare US and Canada. We cannot do this. As far as my knowledge is concern Canada has good prospects, which you can only see if you don't compare with US.
bigboy00 is correct that Canada should be second option and that totally depends from per son to person.
Couple of my friends are in Canada and they are doing very good.
I am also planning to go to Canada, apart from above mentioned web sites, can you specify any other which is good for job hunting.

Thanks

Everybody in this forum does compare US and Canada. We cannot do this. As far as my knowledge is concern Canada has good prospects, which you can only see if you don't compare with US.
bigboy00 is correct that Canada should be second option and that totally depends from per son to person.
Couple of my friends are in Canada and they are doing very good.
I am also planning to go to Canada, apart from above mentioned web sites, can you specify any other which is good for job hunting.

Thanks

Comparison between US and Canada is bound to be there and why shouldn't it be? These countries are so close to each other that not having comparison is just impossible. And economic immigrants are bound to compare the economies and the prospects so that they can go to their preferred destination when it is at a driving distance.

hi there

hi baggio123,

are you also in IT sector and what about your friends (are they in IT sector or something else). I know for mechanical engineers...esp from india. The vacancy are really scarce, but i am not sure about IT people. Like i said before, i see many, many advertised positions...now i don't know if those are fake advertisement or if there is really shortage of IT people.

pls post regarding your friends...which sector (educational wise) are they in?

hi baggio123,

are you also in IT sector and what about your friends (are they in IT sector or something else). I know for mechanical engineers...esp from india. The vacancy are really scarce, but i am not sure about IT people. Like i said before, i see many, many advertised positions...now i don't know if those are fake advertisement or if there is really shortage of IT people.

pls post regarding your friends...which sector (educational wise) are they in?

When you said "what would I do for 3 years", your concern is correct. There are IT jobs in Canada. But many posts are fake and/or there are too few jobs for too many people. You just have to take the risk. Whether to take the risk or not is your call. The positive thing is that the sys admin task is required by almost every sector/industry.

ok thank you bigboy00...i really appreciate your feedback. Anyone else pls respond..i would love to hear ur feedback.

It is true that there is more competition in Canada. But there are jobs, more so for the experienced hire to management levels. I was a brain drain child from 2000, had to go to U.S when the IT degrees started to flood the Cdn markets. I am hoping to be one of the brain gain stories now and take my management skills back there. So far no luck in finding the right position but I am being picky since I will lose money on my U.S condo here and would have to pay back my current gc repayment agreement. This EB3 July bulletin debacle has got me back on a more focussed look again.

Canada is a great place to live. But if you plan to look for Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal or Vancouver opportunities you will want to make sure you are well compensated. Income taxes are higher and real estate is quite strong. Vancouver and Toronto you'll need to make as much as you would in the high priced U.S marketss.

The Ottawa market has more contract positions than you really want. This has to do with so much of the I.T work being for the government.

There's quite a boom going on in Alberta. More in the construction / trades areas due to the petroleum industry. But I'm sure there are more and more IT Networking jobs becoming available as the economy expands.

Toronto is still the dominant city and where you might find the most opportunities.

Those sites you mentioned are the ones I use too.

Well, best of luck to both of us.

hi guys,

Hi canuckinNJ,

Thanks for your input. Now regarding contract work for Can. Gov't....can i work for can gov't as a permanent resident. Because i am not a citizen. I am desperate for any IT position....i just need to make enough to survive at this point.

Hi canuckinNJ,

Thanks for your input. Now regarding contract work for Can. Gov't....can i work for can gov't as a permanent resident. Because i am not a citizen. I am desperate for any IT position....i just need to make enough to survive at this point.

Cdn govt jobs are very tough to get without connections/citizenship. They say that the first priority will be given to the citizens (and then to the PRs). But that's the theory. In practice, they consider only cdn citizens. One of my friend got a job as a PR (but he had applied for the citizenship). He told me that his boss who hired him came under fire later on, because he hired a PR and not a cdn citizen.

thanks a lot for your reply. I guess there is nothing positive in Canada (lol). Just out of curiousity..do you know any consultant/ company offering SAS programmer position along US/ Canada border.

thanks

Canadian jobs

Hi,

you are right. Most of people are underemployed. I know Doctors working as pizza delivery. They are not unconcerned. Canada's work place is a mirage. Nobody has security and confidence about his/her current job. The chance of getting a job out of sites like monster is less than 1%. Almost all technical and infrastructural activities are done in India and employers do marketing here. They receive up to 30,000 applications per job posting and the position will be occurred by an internal person finally.
If you are thinking of immigration, be advised about risking your life from career point of view.