Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

For asylee who has RTD what kind of questions do the costumes ask upon arrive to the US? I'm leaving to Europe next month, but I'm afraid of US costumes when I come back. Please everybody share what kind of question did they ask you.

Thank you.

i think u r fine with your national passport. i have seen many LPR through asylum has used their national passport for travel. and they are fine.

Hi henri97,

I know this is 3 years later but I'm in the same situation. I am LPR based on asylum and need to travel within a couple of weeks and can't wait until I recieve the RTD so I applied to renew my NP, can I use it to travel? I'm not trying to go back to my COP. Is using a renewed NP going to cause me any problems with the IO upon returning to the USA? I keep getting different opinions so I'm looking for someone who's been through this and tried it!! please help!

HI everyone i have a question hope to get the help from this forum. i am planning to travel to india for 4 months of course with my green card based on asylum . will there be any problem while returning back, from the indian immigration. by the way that is not my COP. i have heard many things about the immigration their so i am little bit scared, please please please reply me.

HI everyone i have a question hope to get the help from this forum. i am planning to travel to india for 4 months of course with my green card based on asylum . will there be any problem while returning back, from the indian immigration. by the way that is not my COP. i have heard many things about the immigration their so i am little bit scared, please please please reply me.

You should be fine! but make sure you save your proof of stay in India.... unlikely ...but questions can be raised(during naturalization interview) if you travel to country near by COP especially with open border.

You should be fine! but make sure you save your proof of stay in India.... unlikely ...but questions can be raised(during naturalization interview) if you travel to country near by COP especially with open border.

Thank You God_is_Green. Finally i got the answer . Please dont mind , one more question, can i use my green card and my passport for the visit?
Thank u once more

you may!... but if I were you I would rather get Travel Doc before leaving US. Remember despite the fact you hold GC you are still bounded by Asylee - terms & conditions, until you become a citizen.

FYI : I am a greencard holder AS6....Just traveled to Philippines(not home country) with National Passport( renewed) and Greencard. Took me 5 minutes the immigration inspection. Officer only asked where I went and how I got my GC. All I have to do is answer those and did a quick picture and finger print. they don't even scan my passport, just my GC. I ask specifically to the immigration officers and supervisor 2 weeks before I leave, they said all I need is a Greencard to enter the US..Overall it work out pretty smooth

Last edited by a moderator:
i can definitely assure you that you can travel with your NP and green card without any problem anywhere as long as you have the required visas. Some countries do not require visa depending on what nationality you are! I can tell you this for sure from my own experience! you can double check with the USCIS rep about this! but if you go to your COP , you may have problem later at citizenship interview! I was told if you have a proof that you had an emergency situation to travel back to your COP then it you should not have problem. I do not understand why keep people give wrong information about not being able to NP to travel to other countries ! they moderator should remove such posts as it costs hundreds of dollars to apply for RTD. RTD is only necessary if you do not have your green card yet. Anyone out there who has similar question: don't waste your time and money on applying for RTD if you already have a GC!

TO GOD_IS_GREENCARD: Please do not give wrong advice if you do not know it for sure!! RTD is absolutely not necessary if one has green card and NP to travel! anyone can confirm this with USCIS rep over the phone. They told me that only reason RTD exists is because some people are not able to obtain NP from their COP. so you only need RTD to travel if you are still an asylee and don't have your GC yet or don't have NP!

p.s. i have traveled to number of countries in central america, and asia with green card an national passport, you can speed through citizin and residents' line without facing additional questions. everytime they only asked how long my trip was, the purpose, and to press my four fingers against the scanners, that is it.

you may!... but if I were you I would rather get Travel Doc before leaving US. Remember despite the fact you hold GC you are still bounded by Asylee - terms & conditions, until you become a citizen.

and again, because of people like you giving erronous advise like this, i lost alot of precious time and money before, applying for RTD which only lasts 1 year and discounting the required 6 months validity on the document to travel, you are only left with 6 months for which you spend hundreds of dollars to apply!!!

you can use your NP and GReen card,

I'm an LPR under AS7, I have NP, going to apply for RTD or RP. I'm going to my husbands COP which is also my home country. I am going there just for 1 week.

I need help with I-131. The instruction says that "The fee for RTD for an applicant age 16 or older is $135.. but biometric fee of $85 is required for RP and RTD for applicants ages 14 through 79... "
So if I am right RTD fee is $135 but RP fee is $360?

then NOTE of I-131 Instruction states that "If you filled I-485 after July, 30, 2007 and you paid the I-485 application fee then no fee for advanced parole and RTD is required on Form I-131.. You may file I-131 for RTD with Form I-485 at the same time or at a later date...but you have to submit a copy of I-797 Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid the fee for Form I-485 required on or after July, 30, 2007.."
so if I filed I-485 in 2011 (which is after July, 30, 2007) I dont have to pay any fee (or only for BIO?) at all??? all I need to do is just send the copy if I-797???

do I need RTD at all if I am LPR AS7?

Could you help me please?

Well since you're a derivative asylee going to the country that will be named in the RTD, you'd be safer going using your NP. I'd forget the RTD/RP.

thanks cafeconleche for response!

of course I was gonna use NP at COP port of entry...
but when I leave/entry US what do I need to show them? RTD+GC? as I understand RTD gives me the right to come back to US after foreign trip. it is safer for me if I don't want to loose my status. am I right?

No, your GC will let you back in. If you're going for a short trip, your NP and GC will be fine. If you're staying for a long time (over 6 months), get an RP.

The only time when an RTD is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY is between your asylum approval and GC.

I traveled to Paris using Travel Document (TD) + Permanent Resident (PR), the airline staff were not familiar with Travel Document, they initially said that TD was not a valid Passport, but after 2 hours they finally agreed that it was a passport and let me travel. My recommendation: if you need to travel with your Travel Document, arrive to the Airport at least 6 hours in advance, It's a very painful process.

I agree, especially visit Singapore. You won't be able to use RTD. They don't accept and it is listed on their website. For those who use RTD, please double check your destination country before you decide to purchase the ticket.

AS Green Card holder, FYI: use your NP and GC to travel(not COP)...I did use mine about 6 moth ago, and I did not experience any difficulties entering back to US. IO asked where I got my Green Card from?, 10 finger print, photograph and I am safe to go.

Hi guys! I'am planning go to Europe and stay there about 48 days . Recently I heard that the person with "white card" ( I-94 ) and RTD can stay outside of USA permanently 40 days and no more, because when you going back after 40 days it's could be a problem at the port of entry. Anybody can tell me this is a true or no?