Traveling Outside the US As Asylee applicant ,Asylee,LPR through Asylum

GC through Asylum, Need to Travel to Indonesia next week!

I have a GC through Asylum, and will apply for my US citizenship in 2012. My NP is expired and did not renew it based on warnings that it may cause problems in the future. I have not been outside the country for more than 8 years. Now, my company wants to send me to Indonesia on business for a few weeks and I need to travel very shortly, say next week, for discussion sake.

Question 1: What documents do I need to leave the US, enter Indonesia, leave Indonesia, and re-enter the US? I am thinking I need my GC and an RTD (I-131). Is this correct? Someone, please advise.

Question 2: I need to get my RTD on an expedited basis. The USCIS says it takes 2 to 6 months to get an RTD? Is there a fast track way to get it? Obviously, I cannot wait for 6 months! Is there such a thing as an "emergency" RTD?

Question 3: Will hiring an Immigration lawyer speed it up?

Thank you so much and have a great day.

pob11646
Atlanta, GA

1. I'm not sure Indonesia accepts the RTD. I know Singapore and Malaysia don't. Often, such situations can be used to explain the renewal of your NP, so that's something to think about, if you're comfortable doing it. Otherwise, you may be out of luck. Has anyone been to Indonesia with an RTD? As for leaving and entering the US, you only need your RTD and GC.

2. If you apply for an expedited RTD, it could take a couple of weeks, maybe a month, based on the experiences posted here.

I have a GC through Asylum, and will apply for my US citizenship in 2012. My NP is expired and did not renew it based on warnings that it may cause problems in the future. I have not been outside the country for more than 8 years. Now, my company wants to send me to Indonesia on business for a few weeks and I need to travel very shortly, say next week, for discussion sake.

Question 1: What documents do I need to leave the US, enter Indonesia, leave Indonesia, and re-enter the US? I am thinking I need my GC and an RTD (I-131). Is this correct? Someone, please advise.

Question 2: I need to get my RTD on an expedited basis. The USCIS says it takes 2 to 6 months to get an RTD? Is there a fast track way to get it? Obviously, I cannot wait for 6 months! Is there such a thing as an "emergency" RTD?

Question 3: Will hiring an Immigration lawyer speed it up?

Thank you so much and have a great day.

pob11646
Atlanta, GA

you can apply for RE ENTRY TRAVEL DOCUMENT, ITS VALID FOR 2 YEARS

BEFORE YOU APPLY CONTACT INDONESIA CONSULATE GENERAL TO MAKE SURE THEY ACCEPT RE ENTRY TRAVEL DOCUMENT

Thank you so much for your response, John Smith1. Yes, I would certainly go for a Re-entry Travel Document if that works.

Do you know which official form do I use to apply for a Reentry
Travel Document, and how long does the process take?

Hope anyone else here with information can help out.

Thank you so much for your response, John Smith1. Yes, I would certainly go for a Re-entry Travel Document if that works.

Do you know which official form do I use to apply for a Reentry
Travel Document, and how long does the process take?

Hope anyone else here with information can help out.

you should fill form I 131

YOU CAN GO FOR EXPEDITED TRAVEL DOCUMENT

IT TAKES 2 WEEKS TO GET EXPEDITED RE ENTRY TRAVEL DOCUMENT

I HAD RE ENTRY TRAVEL DOCUMENT 2 YEARS AGO, I GOT IT IN 10 DAYS

WHEN YOU FILL THE APPLICATION WRITE A LETTER EXPLAININIG THE REASON WHY YOU NEED EXPEDITED SERVICE AND TRY TO SEND SOME PROOFS WITH THE APPLICATION

THERE IS THREAD REGARDING THE EXPEDITED TRAVEL DOCUMENT AT THE TOP OF THE FORUM WRITTEN BY WANTMYGRNOW

IT WAS A BIG HELP FOR ME WHEN I GOT MINE

Hi guys. This is my first message here. I need your advice. I'm colombian, and I want to go on vacation to my country. I have Asylee status, but I don't have my GC yet; however, I have my Refugee Travel Document. Do you think, guys, that I should visit my country using this document????

I'd like to read EVERYTHING you think about it.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question. It says you don't need a re-entry permit if you are traveling outside the US for less than a year on uscis site (131 form instruction section). But what do you need to travel then? I have my gc and refugee travel document. But my rtd is almost expired and i was thinking of applying for re entry permit. can anyone explain this to me.

hi all,

I am a former asylee who recently recv'd GC! now I would like to apply for a travel document. There are 2 options on the I-131 application form that I think are applicable to my situation:
1. I am a permanent resident or conditional permanent resident of the US, and I am applying for a reentry permit
2. I am a permanent resdident as a direct result of refugee or asylee status, and I am applying for a refugee travel document

My question is, if I go for option 1., do I have to give justification why I want RP vs. RTD? What might that entail to satisfy the adjudicator's requirements.

Thank you all.

wait4GCard

hi all,

I am a former asylee who recently recv'd GC! now I would like to apply for a travel document. There are 2 options on the I-131 application form that I think are applicable to my situation:
1. I am a permanent resident or conditional permanent resident of the US, and I am applying for a reentry permit
2. I am a permanent resdident as a direct result of refugee or asylee status, and I am applying for a refugee travel document

My question is, if I go for option 1., do I have to give justification why I want RP vs. RTD? What might that entail to satisfy the adjudicator's requirements.

Thank you all.

wait4GCard

You dont need to give any justifications as to why you want a RP. Just select RP and send your evidence(GC copy) and you will get it.

At the airport, I was clearly asked couples of weeks ago if I went to COP. the answer was no and the lady told me if it was yes, she was going to terminate the LPR status. once Again DO NOT GO TO COP.

Thanks - but I am NOT going to COP! no way. I want to travel to South America.

May you also confirm that all I need for my trip are the following docs:
1. Greencard
2. Reentry Permit
Also confirm that I do not need my COP passport to travel .... can I leave it at home? - it expires in a year.

I also read in some earlier posts that a Rentry Permit can be used in lieu of a passport. Doesn't the RTD function the same though?

Thanks,

wait4GCard

At the airport, I was clearly asked couples of weeks ago if I went to COP. the answer was no and the lady told me if it was yes, she was going to terminate the LPR status. once Again DO NOT GO TO COP.

Hmm i dont know if they can do that as you claim. They can refer you to a judge but have to have valid reasons...but "terminate LPR status" on the spot is unheard of.

Thanks - but I am NOT going to COP! no way. I want to travel to South America.

May you also confirm that all I need for my trip are the following docs:
1. Greencard
2. Reentry Permit
Also confirm that I do not need my COP passport to travel .... can I leave it at home? - it expires in a year.

I also read in some earlier posts that a Rentry Permit can be used in lieu of a passport. Doesn't the RTD function the same though?

Thanks,

wait4GCard

RTD is valid only for 1 year which is suitable for only Refugee status Immigrant to go outside without Greencard and Passport as Travel document (passport).

Reentry Permit is has 2 years valid only, which is granted to GC.

There have been a lot of posts here about which countries accept, say the Reentry Permit, in lieu of a NP, in case the asylee does not want to renew the NP. Does anyone have a summary listing which countries accept, and which countries, do not accept the Reentry Permit, for the purpose of entering the country, for work, for instance. I have just been laid off my job two weeks ago due to the severe recession here in the US. I am exploring job opportunities in the Middle East, China, etc. Is it possible for me to do that on a Reentry Permit. Any advice or support would help. I have a GC (A-6) and am eligible for citizenship only in 2012.

Thank you so much.

Me (american) and my fiance (as6 green card) want to travel back to his home country of Indonesia and visit his family. we plan to stay for at least a month. but since he is here under an asylee status, we heard he may not be allowed back to the US if he were to go back to his COP. some people are telling us since he has a green card its ok, and some people say not to even risk it, just wait unitl he gets his citizenship (3-6 years). we know he can travel abroad with his GC, but its getting back to the US that bothers us. but if we were to get married before we go, would that be a big help? then his status would change from asylee to marriage wouldnt it? there are mixed feelings about traveling to COP with an AS6 GC, but i dont want to take any chances and thats why i would like to know if marriage would help or not.

PS
we have been together over a year and are very much in love so this is a REAL marriage not a fake one at all. I just want him to see his granmother before she passes away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello -

I have a GC based on being an Asylee. I know that I need to use a Refugee Travel Document to travel abroad, but I'm just a little worried that custom officials in various countries aren't familiar with it and I would run into trouble at ports of entry. If some of you already travelled abroad with Refugee Travel Documents, I would really appreciate it if you share with your experiences and whether entering countries abroad and reentering the US went smoothly or not. I'm thinking about going to Europe and maybe Argentina and Brazil.

Thanks in advance.

entering USA IS really easy as long as you have valid RTD,

ENTERING foreign countries is easy too as log as you have a valid visa on your RTD,

THE PROBLEM IS LEAVING A FOREIGN COUNTRY ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE VISITING ONE OF THOSE THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES,

I WAS VISITING KUWAIT FEW YEARS AGO AND I HAD A FRIGHTENING EXPERIENCE THERE, I WAS LEAVING IN MY WAY TO USA, I WENT TO THE AIRPORT AND I SHOWED MY RTD TO THE KUWAITI EMPLOYEE AT THE AIRLINE COUNTER

HE COULD NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT RTD IS, HE KEPT TELLING ME THAT I DON NOT HAVE A PASSPORT, HE KEPT SAYING THAT RTD IS NOT A PASSPORT, HE WAS GETTING ANGRY AND TENSE,

I CONTROLLED MYSELF, I SPOKE GENTLY WITH HIM, INSIDE ME I WAS FRIETENING TO DEATH THAT HE MAY NOT LET ME BOARD THE FLIGHT, I ASKED HIM POLITELY TO SHOW IT TO HIS SUPERVISOR, HE SAID HE WILL,

HE LEFT AND WENT TO A ROOM INSIDE , I WAS WAITING FOR EXACTLY 20 MINUTE AND IT WAS LIKE 20 YEARS, HE CAME BACK TO ME AND MY HEART WAS JUMPIMG, I WAS SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORELIFED WHEN HE TOLD ME THAT
HE WILL LET ME BOARD THE FLIGHT

IAM NOT TRYING TO SCARE YOU, THIS WAS JUST A PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, I THINK I WAS JUST NOT LUCKY, I GOT THE NASTIEST AND THE M OST VISIOUS EMPLOYEE AT THAT TIME

Back to COR without telling

I’m an asylee and I know I should not go back to COR. But I really have to go because of my sister health condition. Can I go to COR without tell the U.S government? For example, I will tell them that I’m going to Europe and get a European stamp on my RTD, so I will convince customs that I was in Europe, and use NP to enter to COR. I know it’s risky, but family is family.

I’m an asylee and I know I should not go back to COR. But I really have to go because of my sister health condition. Can I go to COR without tell the U.S government? For example, I will tell them that I’m going to Europe and get a European stamp on my RTD, so I will convince customs that I was in Europe, and use NP to enter to COR. I know it’s risky, but family is family.

Nobody here will recommend doing that because it is illegal. However, it is POTENTIALLY possible, but remember, if they EVER find out, you could be in a lot of trouble. Are you a permanent resident yet? Anyway, this question would be best answered by a lawyer who has represented clients who have done similar things.

As for the previous post about using an RTD, people in other countries will sometimes not know what it is (even in the US they sometimes don't know), so make sure you apply for the proper visas. In the end, it should work out. Remember that some countries do not recognize RTDs and so you cannot travel there with one.