Consolidated NSC I-485 Tracker

Just went to Infopass appointment. I hoped that with recent movement in 2006 cases, mine could move as well. False hopes, it's still in NC blackhole... for 1.5 years now. The officer suggested that FBI could've sent case to my home country for processing.

i guess wom is still an option if you're not in the lucky 40% in the next couple of months. alas, our excitement over namecheck was shortlived..

No I-485 without FBI NC : (

http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html

12/04/2007: DHS Reaffirm Its Policy Not to Approve Applications Without FBI Namecheck Results

As we reported it day before yesterday, the current secuirty management environment is different from those in pre-9/11 era and does not allow any government actions that can seriously undermine the nation's homeland security regardless of any other issues that press a political or administrative action. This includes the immigration backlog. After the news reports that the DHS might adjudicate applications within certain period regardless of the secuirty clearance results, the DHS has come forward to clarify its position saying 'It Ain't Goiing to Happen!' There was one time unconfirmed report that the USCIS might have approved I-485 applications relating to the July VB flip-flap and need for its alleged efforts to wipe out the FY 2007 EB visa numbers before July 2007, raising a serious concern relating to its potential serious compromise of its primary mission of homeland security. Whether or not the USCIS indeed approved some I-485 applications during the period has never been verified or confirmed. Security lapse will constitute the most serious political liability for the government agencies in this day and age.

And more somewhat good news ( http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/#comment ):

Immigration Daily's recent comment (11/30/07 ID) on the status of FBI name check delays resulted in the following response from USCIS Office of Communications Bill Wright:

Immigration Daily's 11/30/07 comment, "FBI Delays to End," is not telling the entire story. USCIS and the FBI are working together to process name checks as quickly as possible without compromising security or public safety. To this end, we have examined the existing name check system and acted to address the problem through two strategies: (1) first, USCIS and the FBI conducted a joint risk assessment which resulted in process improvements that permit us to focus on cases of concern (2) second, USCIS and FBI have allocated additional resources to the process. Over the next year, USCIS is planning to commit a total of $15.5 million to address the backlog of FBI name checks. Please note, however, USCIS continues to require FBI name checks for the same categories of applications and no case will be approved without a cleared name check. We will continue to work with the FBI to reduce waiting times; but, not at the expense of national security and public safety.

Separately, Immigration Daily has learned that USCIS expects a 40% reduction in FBI name check delays by year-end. This reduction will be achieved largely through the allocation of additional resources and a more streamlined process. This information supports DHS Secretary Chertoff's earlier statement that applications that were previously ensnared in the name check delays will be cleared quickly. However, he cautioned that a small number of checks will still be delayed by investigations.

Last edited by a moderator:
...http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/#comment[/url] ):
Separately, Immigration Daily has learned that USCIS expects a 40% reduction in FBI name check delays by year-end...

i hope ilw is right this time around. also, it would be helpful if dhs/fbi confirms this 40% figure. overall, i think it's good that namecheck got their attention and there is a will to do something about it.

... Separately, Immigration Daily has learned that USCIS expects a 40% reduction in FBI name check delays by year-end.

It would be interesting to find what they actually meant. A few Russians I know were waiting for NC for about 3 years, then 40% reduction in delay means reduced wait time of 1 year and 10 months. That would be a very good improvement.

On the other hand, if they take all cases considered delayed (> 3 months?), and resolve 40% of the most recent ones by streamlining the process, leaving 100K waiting for >1 year untouched, that would not give much to old timers.

Another question - are they talking about calendar year, or fiscal year?

In either case, you never know if your name shows up as a witness in investigation and then your case may rot until that investigation ends. Or the case may be sent to your home country and rot in Russian Ministry Of Internal Affairs (or its Indian equivalent). Which brings the same topic - prepare to fight for your WOM.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, if they take all cases considered delayed (> 3 months?), and resolve 40% of the most recent ones by streamlining the process, leaving 100K waiting for >1 year untouched, that would not give much to old timers.

Well, you know that they will do something along these lines. We are dealing with USCIS remember. Whatever the easiest approach is to give an appearance that they are taking the issue seriously, is the approach they will follow.

My wife got a biometrics appointment and I did not.
So, I called again to find out and I was told that my name check is not complete. She claims I was given incorrect information couple of days ago.
Don't know who to believe.

Thanks for this, it worked
The nice lady told me that my namecheck is cleared and they are missing biometrics, but that was not scheduled. So, she went ahead and scheduled it.
Any idea how long it takes to get the biometrics appointment?

No news is not a good news

Just called NSC and talked to IO. Namecheck is still pending. Will wait for FBI response to Senator's inquiry, and then think about the WoM. Now I understand people who return home.

Hi all,
I received my card on Dec 3rd and would like to thank everyone for their views and recommendations (especially ginnu and real canadian). It had been a journey that lasted more than 5 yrs and stuck in name check for 1 1/2 yrs. I wrote to the Indiana senator and they did inquire about the pending status. Not sure it was a coincidence!!!
Keep the faith and hope all of you get it very soon.

LC Date: Feb-02, India, EB2
LC AD: Feb-06
RD I-140,I-485: 27-Apr-06
LIN 06159-XXXXX (NSC)
I-140 AD: 8/22/06
I-485: RFE RD 9/21/06
RFE Replied date 9/30/06
RFE LUD: 10/9/06
I-485 Approved on Nov 26th and card received on Dec 3rd.
Derivative was approved and has same dates as mine for the I-485

It would be interesting to find what they actually meant. A few Russians I know were waiting for NC for about 3 years, then 40% reduction in delay means reduced wait time of 1 year and 10 months. That would be a very good improvement.

In either case, you never know if your name shows up as a witness in investigation and then your case may rot until that investigation ends. Or the case may be sent to your home country and rot in Russian Ministry Of Internal Affairs (or its Indian equivalent). Which brings the same topic - prepare to fight for your WOM.
i think it would be the latter one - 40% of the cases waiting for x number of years will be processed by the end of the calendar year, i think. Here x is most likely to be 3, based on recent updates somewhere. for people waiting less than 3 years, wait continues.

regarding fbi checking foreign countries, i'm not so sure. could this just be an excuse for further delays or they simply ran out of excuses? how come a guy waiting for over five years for namecheck gets approved within days of court's favorable verdict? there are many more examples.

on ilw letter section, lawyers and applicants are rightly bashing uscis/fbi on namecheck. namecheck does not add real value to national security of this country, given the cost-benefit-time equation.
http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/digest/2007,1205.shtm

Ok guys, so I finally got tired of waititng and I have sent letter to the local Congressman and to Senator Dianne Feintein. Let's if the senator's query helps at all. Had my NC been cleared last month my PD was current. Now if the NC does clear only god knows when the PD will be current again. :(

Dude,

Everyone is tired of waiting for the approval.I don't think writing to Congressman and to Senator will help clearing the NC. They can't do anything in clearing the NC.Write to 1st lady..it may help you..It worked in my case..and it didn't in some cases....so try writing to 1st lady too..and we all need to wait for PD to become current..I think some dumb guys are sitting in DOS office who are not having proper idea about the Visa dates.

Good luck
SN

Ok guys, so I finally got tired of waititng and I have sent letter to the local Congressman and to Senator Dianne Feintein. Let's if the senator's query helps at all. Had my NC been cleared last month my PD was current. Now if the NC does clear only god knows when the PD will be current again. :(

I will try writing to the first lady also. Quite honestly as frustrated as I am, i feel I am very close to the end of the journey. Retrogression can't have any serious impact for us. At worst the dates will become current 2002 ppl again in May/Jun of next year. If our NC's are clear we are looking at most 6 months.

Dude,

Everyone is tired of waiting for the approval.I don't think writing to Congressman and to Senator will help clearing the NC. They can't do anything in clearing the NC.Write to 1st lady..it may help you..It worked in my case..and it didn't in some cases....so try writing to 1st lady too..and we all need to wait for PD to become current..I think some dumb guys are sitting in DOS office who are not having proper idea about the Visa dates.

Good luck
SN

I like this one, taken from http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/digest/2007,1205.shtm

--- I have advocated previously in an ID letter that more federal court actions should be filed, because it is obvious the president and the Congress are impotent to resolve this matter, or seemingly any other matter of great importance to the American people, like social security and tax reform, healthcare, the price of gasoline, environmental concerns and comprehensive immigration reform. America's tri-partite system of checks and balances is the only salvation in a bureaucracy run amuck. The same system that created the Name Check backlog offers a remedy through the courts. My advice, go to court and sue the bastards. If you don't sue, don't complain.

I think the author referred to people, who wait for 3-4 years. But even though we would have to spend time and money, I still like the phrase, just for its energy: "Go to court and sue the bastards. If you don't sue, don't complain." : )

nice public radio discussion on namecheck on southern california aclu lawsuit.

http://www.publicradio.org/tools/med...1&end=00:35:01

if the link doesn't work try the link by scherhrazi's post on:
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=200051&page=228

Approved

I think I have a similar timeline to that of igor_ch. So here is more data to support his theories: I-140/I-485 were received in early June of 2006. I-140 approved in the Fall of 2006. I am Russian national, researcher (EB-Outstanding researcher category).

I was prepared to wait for another year or two, but they pleasantly surprised me two days ago. My application, and my wife's application, got approved, the cards ordered. The last time I bothered to check (March 07), I was told that NC was not completed. I don’t know when it got completed, and there were no RFAs. The LOD on my I-140 changed a week before the approval, but it was probably because I returned from abroad on that day and went through the customs with my AP.

The only thing that may be of interested to others in my otherwise quite typical story may be that my lawyer claims that she called someone a few weeks ago. She thinks her call started some movement on the USCIS part. I doubt you can actually “call someone” like that, but who knows. Maybe if your NC is completed, but the file keeps collecting dust on the shelf, a call by a lawyer (who may know where to call) can help.

Good luck.

card ordered email

Today I received a "Card Ordered" email from CRIS, please see my details below
Country India
Category EB2
Labor 1 PD 2000 Sept (with my past employer)
140 approved based on 1st labor but did not file 485
Labor 2 PD Apr 2004(with my current employer)
Labor 2 approved on 2006 Jan from DBEC
Filed 140 & 485 concurrently on Apr 6th 2006 porting the 1st labors PD of 2000
140 approved on Aug 2006 but the PD was 2004 instead of 2000
140 amended with PD 2000 on DEc 13th 2006
Namecheck pending as of July 2007
Contacted local senator in June of 2007, received a letter from them in Oct 2007 stating that my namecheck was complete as of Sept 24th 2007 and the results will be fwded to USCIS

Got RFE of 485 on Nov 15th 2007
Received the RFE on Nov 21st Nov 2007 (Employment verification letter)
Responded to RFE on 30th Nov 2007
Got LUD on my case on Dec 4th stating that the evidence was received
I received regular LUDS from 4th till today

Thanks,
GMR