OCI - Houston Tracker

During interview or oathing, I was told to contact to Social Security Office - does anyone why do we need to contact and if we have to how to contact them?

I got my citizenship in CA few years ago, and I was also requested to contact SSA office. It is only to let them know about your immigration status and update their system from GC to US Naturalized Citizen. I recall they took a photo copy of my naturalization certificate and updated their system. I actually visited SSA office to update their system.

Thanks smart84!

We don’t have any travel plans at the moment for the next 6 months. I just applied for my US passport and in the interim, let me start working on preparing the documents.

I know in the OCI application/order form, they ask for the US passport number, can I still go ahead and complete that and start preparing the docs(and once after US passport arrives fill the PP number manually)?

The reason I want to do it that way, because there are plenty of documents we need to send in and that seems like need lot of time to put them all together?

even if you complete your travisa online application today, you won't be able to submit it until you have valid US passport photocopy in your package and included your US passport number in form. So I would recommend to wait until you get your US passport and then start the process. Meanwhile you may read all documents requirement, and get all documents ready in time. I don't recommend to fill out any fields manually in travisa form except applicant's signature in it.

Checklist for OCI & Renunciation

Can I do both together(i.e Renunciation & OCI) or is it better to do it separately?
Here is a checklist for your ready reference:
1)Travisa Order Form
2)OCI on-line application - with Part A & B duly signed
3)Photo affixed to OCI application
4)Copy of US passport (Info page, pages 25,26,27)
5)Copy of naturalization certificate
6)Copy of last Indian passport (first 3 & last 2 pages)
7)Most recent Indian passport - original
8)2 copies of renunciation form
9)Copy of naturalization certificate
10)Copy of last Indian passport (first 3 & last 2 pages)
11)Copy of driving license (for proof of address)
12)Money Order

During interview or oathing, I was told to contact to Social Security Office - does anyone why do we need to contact and if we have to how to contact them?

You contact Social Security office to report that now you are citizen so you don't have to do that when you retire as the retirement benefits are based on your citizenship/PR status. Go to local SSA office and they would update their record based on naturalization certificate.

Surrender Certificate and OCI card together

If I decided to apply for both Surrender Certificate and OCI card together, do I need to send 2 different return envelopes for travisa? How do they return these documents back to applicant? does anyone have experience with that?

If I decided to apply for both Surrender Certificate and OCI card together, do I need to send 2 different return envelopes for travisa? How do they return these documents back to applicant? does anyone have experience with that?

If you apply for both together and send 1 return envelope, they would send SC and OCI (also US Passport with OCI stamp & cancelled India Passport) in 1 envelope at the end of entire process.

If you apply for both together and send 1 return envelope, they would send SC and OCI (also US Passport with OCI stamp & cancelled India Passport) in 1 envelope at the end of entire process.

I see, and that's true for more than 1 application too right? I'm sending only SC first(making it into 2 steps)
- Can I send for both self +spouse together as well with one return envelope?
- Once I get the SC back, planning to convert kids PIO into OCI and apply ours as well - this is the reason decided split, isn't this clean?

thanks for your time.

OCI Houston Status

Hi all,
Following the current status of my OCI

07/19/2012 9:59am CST Documents received by Consulate
07/24/2012 2:00pm CST Pending approval of the Government of India

I need to go India (long time, so need to wait for OCI) asap. Please give your thoughts about how much longer it would take to get the OCI approved.

Thanks
GV

OCI Houston Status

Hi all,
Following the current status of my OCI

07/19/2012 9:59am CST Documents received by Consulate
07/24/2012 2:00pm CST Pending approval of the Government of India

I need to go India asap (planning to stay > 8 months in India , so need to wait for OCI, Don't want to go with visa and come back and stamp OCI later) . Please give your thoughts about how much longer it would take to get the OCI approved.

I need to book the air tickets. The prices are already going up day by day.\

Thanks
GV

I see, and that's true for more than 1 application too right? I'm sending only SC first(making it into 2 steps)
- Can I send for both self +spouse together as well with one return envelope?
- Once I get the SC back, planning to convert kids PIO into OCI and apply ours as well - this is the reason decided split, isn't this clean?

thanks for your time.

I would say just apply for all in 1 shot. I kind of feel that Travisa folks are well conversant with various combinations and they handle it well.

my timeline

6/08/2012 1:10pm CST Service order form completed online
07/03/2012 10:19am CST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
07/03/2012 11:29am CST Application assigned for processing
07/03/2012 11:47am CST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
07/03/2012 5:23pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
07/09/2012 8:57am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
07/09/2012 9:42am CST Documents received by Consulate
07/12/2012 2:00pm CST Pending approval of the Government of India
09/20/2012 3:16pm CST OCI Card received at the Consulate from Delhi, India. Waiting for original US passport to be sent to Travisa Outsourcing. If the US passport is already at Travisa Outsourcing, no action needs to be taken.

Sorry to bring this update in houston tracker. Looks like DC tracker has no movement at all. My case is with DC consulate and my OCI page says "Under Process" and my case has 08/23 for acknowledgement date. I don't see a photo scanned date. Where do I see that status? Also, it has been 3 weeks since acknowledgement and no movement. Should I be worried and start following up? If yes, how do I follow up? or should I follow up? I need to travel to India and I am also looking for work in India and I hope this gets over soon.

Can I apply for a PIO while OCI is in process?

Could someone please advice what I need to do?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bring this update in houston tracker. Looks like DC tracker has no movement at all. My case is with DC consulate and my OCI page says "Under Process" and my case has 08/23 for acknowledgement date. I don't see a photo scanned date. Where do I see that status? Also, it has been 3 weeks since acknowledgement and no movement. Should I be worried and start following up? If yes, how do I follow up? or should I follow up? I need to travel to India and I am also looking for work in India and I hope this gets over soon.

Can I apply for a PIO while OCI is in process?

Could someone please advice what I need to do?
Thanks.

Did you check the status in Passport.gov.in/OCI/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?
As per Houston tracker it takes at least 70 days for the status to change from under process to granted.

Did you check the status in Passport.gov.in/OCI/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp?
As per Houston tracker it takes at least 70 days for the status to change from under process to granted.
Hi thks for your reply. My case is with DC embassy consulate. DC tracker says 30 days. It is close to 30 days now. Any recourse?

Why don't you call Travisa and check?

Let me do that. That is what I was thinking too.

Does emailing to shettybn per the status page helps too? or is it too early to email to him?

Also, can you or someone know if I can apply for PIO while OCI is pending?

Thanks a lot.

Passport Drop-0ff

Can the US passport be dropped off by hand and does it have to be mailed to TraVisa one the OCI is issued?

06/08/2012 1:10pm CST Service order form completed online
07/03/2012 10:19am CST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
07/03/2012 11:29am CST Application assigned for processing
07/03/2012 11:47am CST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
07/03/2012 5:23pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
07/09/2012 8:57am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
07/09/2012 9:42am CST Documents received by Consulate
07/12/2012 2:00pm CST Pending approval of the Government of India
09/20/2012 3:16pm CST OCI Card received at the Consulate from Delhi, India. Waiting for original US passport to be sent to Travisa Outsourcing. If the US passport is already at Travisa Outsourcing, no action needs to be taken.
09/26/2012 9:39am CST Mail package acknowledged at Outsourcing Office.
09/26/2012 4:23pm CST Passport prepared to go to Consulate
09/27/2012 8:43am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
09/27/2012 10:08am CST Documents received by Consulate

How much time it takes to get our passports back? Should I be worried - whom to contact?