Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

bringing to top

also..if anybody has answers to my two questions above..please respond..

Bobysmith/Nino..please respond.thanks

My interview experience

Friends,

I had my interview today.It was pretty cool..very easy and smotth compared to all the things I had thought of...Initially,I was asked to raise my hand and swear that I would only speak the truth.

I was then asked for my GC,Drivers license and SSN card.She didnt ask for my passport.She then went thru my form and said that my name would be First Name and Last name and they would drop the mniddle name as it was not on birth certificate.She also said that if I wanted to keep the middle name,it would take around 90days for that to happen.i decided to drop off the middle name.

She then went over my form,I informed her of the new cell phone number.Also, she never asked me about my wife , the only question she asked was her status.My wife is currently in a different place due to job and I was concerned if I should update the form.But I dont think she even looked at it.She calculated the no of years after GC and said its more than 5 years and then made some notes.

She then asked me yes/no questions.

She then asked me the following civics questions

1> Who wrote the declaration of independance
2> What are the two parties in US
3> What are the parts of congress
4> What is the presidents current party
5> What were the three original colonies
6> Name one state that borders mexico

Thats all, she stopped as I answered all questions correctly.

She then asked me to read a sentnce "Who elects the congress"
and made me write "The people elect the congress".

She then said that I have passed the test and she is recommending me for approval.She took the GC right there as it was same day oath cermeony.

She then congratulated me and walked me out.She seemed to be more friendly towards the end of the interview compared to the begininng.

I waited for an hour to get the oath letter.

I went home and came back with my parents to the oath ceremony.
It was cool.Even though I am very practical person,I could still feel myself getting emotional while taking the oath..We then took lots of pictures with the judge and the other superviors/.

I thanked the superviors for doing an excellent job in arranging the oath ceremony.Thats all..

I will be applying for my passport and card tomorrow and need to start GC filing for my parents

Overall a great day in my life..

Thanks a lot for all the help from this forum.All the best for everyone of you.

Take care,
Shanks

Friends,

I had my interview today.It was pretty cool..very easy and smotth compared to all the things I had thought of...Initially,I was asked to raise my hand and swear that I would only speak the truth.

I was then asked for my GC,Drivers license and SSN card.She didnt ask for my passport.She then went thru my form and said that my name would be First Name and Last name and they would drop the mniddle name as it was not on birth certificate.She also said that if I wanted to keep the middle name,it would take around 90days for that to happen.i decided to drop off the middle name.

She then went over my form,I informed her of the new cell phone number.Also, she never asked me about my wife , the only question she asked was her status.My wife is currently in a different place due to job and I was concerned if I should update the form.But I dont think she even looked at it.She calculated the no of years after GC and said its more than 5 years and then made some notes.

She then said that I have passed the test and she is recommending me for approval.She took the GC right there as it was same day oath cermeony.

She then congratulated me and walked me out.She seemed to be more friendly towards the end of the interview compared to the begininng.

It was cool.Even though I am very practical person,I could still feel myself getting emotional while taking the oath..We then took lots of pictures with the judge and the other superviors/.

I thanked the superviors for doing an excellent job in arranging the oath ceremony.Thats all..

I will be applying for my passport and card tomorrow and need to start GC filing for my parents

Take care,
Shanks

Congratulations Shanks

New Applicant

04/29/09: Application sent
04/30/09: Application received
04/30/09: Priority date
05/29/09: FP appointment

nyani,WHYR2,

Thank for the wishes.

WhyR2,

Are you planning on applying for PIO or OCI.I might have to get security clearance at work and I read that OCI might be a problem.Also,Houston is very slow compared to other consulates for OCI processing.

I applied for passport today.It seems like it takes around 3-4 weeks to get one.

Thanks
Shanks

Interview Details

I completed my interview and oath yesterday (May 20, 2009). My experience was pretty much the same as shanks had a day ago. Checked in at 9:40 AM for the Interview scheduled for 10:25 AM. I was called in at 10:23 AM (!) and I was out by 10:40 AM.

The only document the officer asked me was the GC. He went over all questions in the form and asked me to say if they are correct/yes/no. He also mentioned that my name in naturalization cert will be exactly same as in my birth certificate.

The 6 questions he asked me are:
1. Who wrote the declaration of independence?
2. What makes up congress?
3. Who is the commander-in-chief of the US military?
4. Name 3 of the original 13 colonies.
5. Name one state that border's Mexico
6. What party does the current president belong to?

I was asked to read the question "What is the capital of United States?"
And then I was asked to write " The capital of Unites States is Washington, D.C."

That was the interview part. I waited for an hour and 30 minutes to get the oath letter. (The person sitting next to me said that he waited for 3 hours after the interview to get the oath letter!)

Came back a few minutes before 2 PM for the oath ceremony. The ceremony started at 2:30 PM and ended around 2:45 PM. (yes, just 15 minutes.)

Overall - less than 4 months for the entire process.
It is time for a name change and then I will apply for a US Passport, and so on...

Good luck to every one who is going through this process.

DO - Atlanta
01/27/09 : N-400 Mailed Lock Box - Texas.
02/02/09 : N-400 Received.
02/02/09 : Priority Date.
02/06/09 : Check Cashed
02/09/09 : NOA Received.
02/14/09 : FP Notice Received
02/18/09 : FP Done (walk-in).
02/25/09 : FP Appointment
04/01/09 : Interview Letter.
05/20/09 : Interview Date
05/20/09 : Interview & Oath completed

nyani,WHYR2,

Thank for the wishes.

WhyR2,

Are you planning on applying for PIO or OCI.I might have to get security clearance at work and I read that OCI might be a problem.Also,Houston is very slow compared to other consulates for OCI processing.

I applied for passport today.It seems like it takes around 3-4 weeks to get one.

Thanks
Shanks
Shanks1975,

I did not receive my passport/card yet, though on-line says I will be receiving by 05/24. I 'm thinking of applying OCI, I alo heard couple of postings on this in "After citizenship" forum. But OCI is not an Indian citizenship and I 'm not sure why it poses problem for security clearance. Did you confirm with your HR folks on this ?

Thanks,
Why-R

WHYR2,

The HR folks at my company have no idea about it.All they know is that I would need security clearnace and for that they would start the process.I think the security clearance is handled by US military and has nothing to do with my present company.My present company is getting a project from DOD and hence DOD is mandating this.

So,in short I cant get help from my HR folks.I would rather go with PIO and just upgrade to OCI if needed..its expensive..but less confusing..

also,do u plan on filing any immigration for your parents/relatives?

Shanks

WHYR2,

The HR folks at my company have no idea about it.All they know is that I would need security clearnace and for that they would start the process.I think the security clearance is handled by US military and has nothing to do with my present company.My present company is getting a project from DOD and hence DOD is mandating this.

So,in short I cant get help from my HR folks.I would rather go with PIO and just upgrade to OCI if needed..its expensive..but less confusing..

also,do u plan on filing any immigration for your parents/relatives?

Shanks
Shanks 1975,

After thinking twice, I also decided to get PIO card which is faster and I can upgrade to OCI (by paying $25) when I have some time. No, my parents are too old and they don't have any interest to come here and settle, so I 'm not sponsoring them GC.

Btw, we got our passports yesterday and need to update SS and my wife changed her last name (same as mine) need to update her name in number of placess.

Thanks,
Why-R

WhyR2,

Thats cool..Did you also get your naturalization certificate back along with passport?

PIO card would be safe way to go..and u can always upgrade to OCI if needed.

Regarding Social Security, I spoke with SSA just now.They said that we dont have to fill up any forms ,just go to office and let them know and they would update the status.

I thought we had to fill up some forms..also make sure you take your passport along with you..

Shanks

WhyR2,

Thats cool..Did you also get your naturalization certificate back along with passport?

PIO card would be safe way to go..and u can always upgrade to OCI if needed.

Regarding Social Security, I spoke with SSA just now.They said that we dont have to fill up any forms ,just go to office and let them know and they would update the status.

I thought we had to fill up some forms..also make sure you take your passport along with you..

Shanks
Thanks for the info Shanks1975. We only got our passports. Btw, we applied both passport & card and I was told that we get passport, card & NC in different mails. I might get them in couple of days hopefuly.

Why-R

WhyR2,
I have opened up a thread for PIO card tracking.I dont see any threads for PIO Card tracking and fromwhat i have found, it seems like Houston is the worst consulate as far as PIO and OCI are concerned.Its very slow.

Shanks

Selective Service Registration Question # 33

Hello All,

I wanted to ask you a quick question about selective service registration on line 33 in the N-400 application.

I was a student when i came to USA and i was 18 by then and thereafter got H-1B after 5 years of finishing up my BS. From what i recall that i received a letter from selective service but i had sent my F-1 papers so i got exempt.

Can you please tell me if i need to answer "yes" or "no" to the question #33 on N-400? here's the question below.

Q33. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th Birthdays in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant?

Registeration for Selective Services

That is correct.If you were not on GC till the age of 26,no need to register.

For me, she calculated the age when I became a GC holder and since it was after I was 26, she didnt ask anything.

Shanks

do in need to request a letter?

If you remained in that status (lawful NON-immigrant) between 18 and 26 then the answer is no.

Thanks Formerf1 and Shanks for your prompt reply. Please tell me if i need to send a request to Selective Service center to obtain a letter that i was not required to registered? I have read the same on this board in different threads?

thanks

Friends,

Take care,
Shanks

dear shanks

can you please tell me is your n-400 marriage base ? and did you apply three years or five years after?
I just wonder to know if N-400 base on marriage after three years then is this requriment to take your wife on interview or you can go without her?

thanks