GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

Originally Posted by kab901
Guys,
please help me out I need your adivce in below queries

1) I-485- Part2 which option i need to check .(a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h...???)

regards
I have the same question, could someone who filed 485 for your parents please answer the question?
This question was either missed or people got tired of answering it over and over...
The answer is (a)!

interview situation for parents

Guys,
I have applied for my parents(AOS). I have a question.about the interview.my parents does not speak/write english.

-Can I accompany them to interview ?
-Pls adv if any body encounter same situation. what is ur interview experience.any words of wisdoms??

Need ur guidence.

regards/kab901
9/19/2007 applied
9/26/07 Check cashed

Guys,
I have applied for my parents(AOS). I have a question.about the interview.my parents does not speak/write english.

-Pls adv if any body encounter same situation. what is ur interview experience.any words of wisdoms??

Need ur guidence.

regards/kab901
9/19/2007 applied
9/26/07 Check cashed
I did. However, when the officer wanted to ask a question to my parents (Where were they born?), he called someone from their employees who spoke my parents' second language. I guess, she did not want to hear my translation for that specific question, because there was a misunderstanding about the data in the application.

Anahit,
thanks a lot for taking time to reply about.
Can you please adv what question they did ask for your parents.would appreciate if u expalin in detail about ur experience.

thanks/kab901

Guys,

Need ur guidence.

regards/kab901
9/19/2007 applied
9/26/07 Check cashed

Kab901,

I sent gc application for my parents on 9/20, and check were cashed on 9/26 too. but have not got any receipt from USCIS. My date is very closed to yours. Could you post a message when you get any receipt?

Thanks.

Anahit,
thanks a lot for taking time to reply about.
Can you please adv what question they did ask for your parents.would appreciate if u expalin in detail about ur experience.

thanks/kab901

Parent's interview is not a big deal! Don't worry about it!
Just make sure to find out at the interview if all the checks have been cleared for your parents.
If you need details, you can read thru this thread: http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=199278

Thanks!

Hi Anahit,

Thanks for your reply! I have filed my mom's application last Friday. I wrote two checks. Will keep all of you posted on the status!

Yes.

No, no extra forms or fees.

I don't think it matters as long as they get the right amount. However, it used to be one check for each form, so I would think you need to write 2 checks.

I-130 For parents in India

Hi all,
Do I need to notarize all the supporting documents when I submit for my parents immigrant visa i.e form I-130 ?
urgent request pls
Advance thanks to all
Roseram

GC Question for my mother

My mother's 6 month stay I-94 expires on Oct 11. I am thinking of filing the I-130 and I-485 AOS for her. Apart from dealing with no birth certificate for her, I just found out that it takes atleast 2-3 weeks for the medical report (I-693).

Questions ..
1. Should I go ahead and file for I-130 and I-485 this week.
2. Can I send the I-693 later. (in the next 3 weeks). Any issues with it.
3. What happens if I wait for the medical and then file her I-485? Will it pose any issues since she would have overstayed.

Regards.

My mother's 6 month stay I-94 expires on Oct 11. I am thinking of filing the I-130 and I-485 AOS for her. Apart from dealing with no birth certificate for her, I just found out that it takes atleast 2-3 weeks for the medical report (I-693).

Questions ..
1. Should I go ahead and file for I-130 and I-485 this week.
2. Can I send the I-693 later. (in the next 3 weeks). Any issues with it.
3. What happens if I wait for the medical and then file her I-485? Will it pose any issues since she would have overstayed.

Regards.

Do not complicate your mother's case!
Fill out and file all the forms needed at the SAME TIME, even if it is after Oct 11!

Should I file the packet after 2-3 weeks, even if her I-94 expires? Would that cause issues in the future?
what's the issue if I send the medical after she gets her receipt number.

Regards.

Hello friends,
As like everybody else my parent's are also here and their visitor visa expires in Feb 08. I am planning to file 130/485 through AOS here itself. Somebody told them that they do not allow 485 & AOS from here anymore. You will need to go to india and file it.. Is it true ?

If it is not then it's great. I will go ahead and file concurrently. The additional question I have is that "Will they be still considered in status when 485 is pending and their I94 expires ?

Appreciate it in advance.

Should I file the packet after 2-3 weeks, even if her I-94 expires? Would that cause issues in the future?
what's the issue if I send the medical after she gets her receipt number.

Regards.

Again, send everything TOGETHER! Expired I-94 wouldn't be a problem for her.
If you don't send the medical with other forms, you can't just send it in 2-3 weeks, you have to wait for the RFI/RFE (Request for Initial Evidence / Evidence). And, that might slow your process for 2-3 weeks. So, you really don't gain time by sending forms without the medical.

Consider yourself lucky. My parents (US citizens living in Canada) are 550 miles away from me and last visited me for a weekend in June 2006 :) I've heard rumours they will come for a weekend this month. I pay the price for being their only kid who hasn't given them grandkids :)

Anyway, your parents can AOS however I personally think that CP is the route that should be taken. It does not allow any room for USCIS to accuse one of fraud/misrepresentation.

As like everybody else my parent's are also here and their visitor visa expires in Feb 08

Hello friends,
As like everybody else my parent's are also here and their visitor visa expires in Feb 08. I am planning to file 130/485 through AOS here itself. Somebody told them that they do not allow 485 & AOS from here anymore. You will need to go to india and file it.. Is it true ?

If it is not then it's great. I will go ahead and file concurrently. The additional question I have is that "Will they be still considered in status when 485 is pending and their I94 expires ?

Appreciate it in advance.
No, that's not true. You still can file concurrently!
You need to understand AOS is Adjustment of Status. When you file I-485 you want to adjust your current status to pemanent residence status. You can file for AOS only from US. The processing from outside US is called CP - Consular Processing. You do not file I-485 from India!
A person is in legal status, if he/she has a pending I-485.
The important question here is: How long have your parents been in US?

Again, send everything TOGETHER! Expired I-94 wouldn't be a problem for her.
If you don't send the medical with other forms, you can't just send it in 2-3 weeks, you have to wait for the RFI/RFE (Request for Initial Evidence / Evidence). And, that might slow your process for 2-3 weeks. So, you really don't gain time by sending forms without the medical.

Anahit,
Thanks for the answer. It definetly helps. One quick question? I am still struggling with her birth certificate from the 1930's. I am planning on submitting an affidavit from her and another notorized letter from an 80yr old living uncle. Will it do? I have no connections or contacts in India to help me.

Anahit,
Thanks for the answer. It definetly helps. One quick question? I am still struggling with her birth certificate from the 1930's. I am planning on submitting an affidavit from her and another notorized letter from an 80yr old living uncle. Will it do? I have no connections or contacts in India to help me.
You don't need an affidavit from her. You need 2 affidavits from relatives/friends, preferably older than she is, and a non-availability certificate (read instructions on I-485 or I-130: If the document is not available).

No, that's not true. You still can file concurrently!
You need to understand AOS is Adjustment of Status. When you file I-485 you want to adjust your current status to pemanent residence status. You can file for AOS only from US. The processing from outside US is called CP - Consular Processing. You do not file I-485 from India!
A person is in legal status, if he/she has a pending I-485.
The important question here is: How long have your parents been in US?

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate this board. I have got my greencard by learning a lot from this post and some great people are there on this board.
My parents have been living since Aug08. They are holding multiple 10 year visa which expires in 2012.They have been visiting every year since 2002 and this time when they came the immigration officer told that if they come next time he will give them 1 month visa.