GC for Parents - AOS and CP - Information Source

CIR and parent's cap

We petitioned I-30 for my parents. Is there any chance the new law that is being debated right now would affect the applicants in the near future that are alreading pending and yet to be adjudicated. What is your take on this new bill, I mean will it eventually get passed or will get fizzled out like what happened last year. I am just airing my concerns for me and others who have already applied and waiting with bated breadth to get their process succesfully over. Your inputs are appreciated.

That is the million dollar question. The CIR Bill last year was passed by Senate but did not pass through the house. This year's compromise ammendments(introduced as a bill to ammend and revive the CIR) has the provisions against family based immigration including one for limit on the cap for parents.

The compromise ammendments are opposed by one and all, the more prominent one are the Business leaders(totally against the points system). So even though people are predicting many of these ammendments to fizzle through, I am not totally sure how many Lobbies(Biz lobbies care less about family provisions) mind about Family-based immigration. So since the lawmakers want some kind of bill to be passed this year, I am little pessimistic that ammendments against family based immigration may slip in.

As far your case, it will not be rejected since you already applied. I assume it is consular processing. But I am not sure how much tof he 90,000 (or 40,000 is in the original ammendment) cap for parents will result in an immediate back-log for visa numbers for parents being available.

guys, please feel free to add your two cents on my above points on the chances of CIR passage and the cap on the Parent visa numbers.

Any one from China here applied GC for his/her parents?

My mom's case was transferred to Guangzhou on March 28, 2007 but so far she has not got an interview yet. My dad's case is even worse, still stuck in the administrative review for more than 4 months. Anything I can do to help this?

Any sugguestions? Thanks.

applying for parents !

Hi,
I just became a USC and wanted to apply for my parents who have been in New York with me for past 10 years. I had a few questions - hoping someone can help me!

1) since they are here can we submit 485 and I-130 together?

2) how long does it take these days for entire process?

3) should we do counselor processing(CP) or Adjustment of Status(AOS)

4) how much time under CP vs AOS ?

5) My parents have a G4 visa - does that mean they need to send Form I-508 and I-566 in addition to the rest of the forms?

6) My dad's I-94 has the wrong date of birth - is this going to cause a problem ( we need to send copies of this w/ form I485) What should we do about this - fix it before?

7) Is copy of naturalization certificate enough to prove citizenship of petitioner or is US passport copies required!

Please help!
Thanks in advance

Sample Date of Birth Affidavit from Indian residents?

Could you provide a date of birth sample affidavit from folks in India? The one in this forum says 'under perjury laws of US'. Would that make sense in an affidavit out of India? Also, would this be an affidavit on an Indian stamp paper or notarized or both ...

I seem to remember that the person doing the affidavit should be at least 10 years of age at the time of the incident. My dad's oldest brother is around 7 years older than him. Would that do? I don't think I know any other living older relatives.

I am going to file I 864 for my parents and my income is enough. Do i need I864-A from my husband? thanks

If you are US citizen and your income is enough to sponsor parents, you do not need anything from your husband. You will file I864 and follow the instructions. If you filed joint tax return, provide your W2s alongwith tax return transcript.

Please see my reply in blue.

Hi,
I just became a USC and wanted to apply for my parents who have been in New York with me for past 10 years. I had a few questions - hoping someone can help me!

1) since they are here can we submit 485 and I-130 together?

Yes, send the whole package to Chicago Lockbox.

2) how long does it take these days for entire process?

From posts on this forum, some people took just a couple of months for AOS.
There's a tracking site here:
http://www.trackitt.com/usa-immigration-trackers/i130-i485-tracker/

3) should we do counselor processing(CP) or Adjustment of Status(AOS)

My feeling is AOS is faster than CP, but it may depend on your country.

4) how much time under CP vs AOS ?

5) My parents have a G4 visa - does that mean they need to send Form I-508 and I-566 in addition to the rest of the forms?

Sorry, no idea about this.

6) My dad's I-94 has the wrong date of birth - is this going to cause a problem ( we need to send copies of this w/ form I485) What should we do about this - fix it before?

No idea about this. You may attach a letter to explain the problem.

7) Is copy of naturalization certificate enough to prove citizenship of petitioner or is US passport copies required!

Copy of naturalization certificate is enough

Please help!
Thanks in advance

Dawn123,
Thanks for your response J That was very helpful. Can you also tell me a couple of more things? My dad is already working – so do I still fill out form I-765(EAD Form) for him? My mom is a stay-at-home mom – I guess I need not fill this form out for her? In addition, do I also file forms I-864 (affidavit of support) and I-693(Medical) along with I-485 ? I am assuming separate forms for mom and dad?

Thanks for all your help,
Sonu

Birth certificate question

I am applying for greencard for my mother. Her birth record is not available.

w.r.t. affidavit,
1) Does it need to be done in court in front of magistrate or a notarised affidavit will work? Any experiences?
2) Do the affidavit need to be by a person older by 10+ years or 2-3 year older relative can also do the affidavit.

Thanks.

Marriage certificate question

I am applying for greencard for my mother in india.

My question is do widow need to get a marriage certificate? I am not sure if we can register the marriage now to get the certificate. any experiences.

Her CP interview would be at mumbai consulate.

Thanks.

Does I-864 need to be notarized?

I'm wondering if the I-864 (affidavit of support) needs to be notarized. If so, on which page: all or the last page?

Filing I130 and I485 concurrently.

I'm filing I130 and I485 for my parents concurrently. I have a few questions:

1. On the I-485 part 2, application type. I did not find any type that is applicable to their case. Should I choose "Other basis of eligibility"? What Should I put in the explanation?

2. In I-485 part 3, there's a question "were you inspected by a U.S. immigration officer?". What does this mean? My parents came through the custom as usual when they came here. Should I choose "no"?

3. Does the I-864 need to be notarized? If so, all pages?

Hi everyone,

Is there any issues with applying for your parents the day after you get your naturalization certificate? Is that OK?

1. On the I-485 part 2, application type. I did not find any type that is applicable to their case. Should I choose "Other basis of eligibility"? What Should I put in the explanation?

2. In I-485 part 3, there's a question "were you inspected by a U.S. immigration officer?". What does this mean? My parents came through the custom as usual when they came here. Should I choose "no"?

You need to do some research before asking a question. These questions were answered hundred thousand times...
Use the search option!

a question on I-130

quesion 22: Your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident at the USCIS office in ___ (city) ___ (State)

Which office should I put in here? Should I put Chicago, IL or Laguna Niguel, CA (I live in CA)?

If you are US citizen and your income is enough to sponsor parents, you do not need anything from your husband. You will file I864 and follow the instructions. If you filed joint tax return, provide your W2s alongwith tax return transcript.

You can use I864-EZ. I used it for my parents.

Hi everyone,

Is there any issues with applying for your parents the day after you get your naturalization certificate? Is that OK?[/QUOTE

From my experience, I will say no.
You can apply for GC for your parens immediately after you get naturalization certificate.

See.

Put "yes", unless they entered illegally.

No.