FAQs about Asylee Green Card Process & Other things.

Hi, my husband was granted Asylum last year in oct so this month he is going to apply for his Green card. I have a few questions if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated. my husband was granted Asylum by a judge because he was inadmissible under section 212(a)(7)(A).. He came on a valid visit visa but their cancelled it at the airport. my question is will it have an affect on the application process and in the form it asks if you came in with out proper documents what do we need to write? They even ask questions like nonimmigrant visa number and date visa was issued do I need to fill in the visa information that he came on before it was cancelled or that does not count.

He was detained so I guess we need to fill that in?
Next question is do we need to get his medical done and send the report with the application or we need to wait for them to tell us when?

I hope I have explained this clearly?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
We filed I485 for my husband and son last year. Son is 12 years old. Last week we got Approval Notice for my son, but not for my husband. Both cases on USCIS website are still on Initial Review status. Is it possible that only my son's got approved and my husband's case is still pending? I've got my GC last year through asylum. Does anyone have the same situation or did before?

SantaMonica, have you received your husband's green card? I hope you have!
I have a couple guestions for you:) did you or you husband have a GC interview? what office did you mail your applications to?

I have a question about applying for national passport.
I got my GC August 2010 (dated back to 2009) meaning that I have 3 more years before I can become a citizen. My national passport expired couple of years ago. I want to renew it for traveling purposes, since even to Canada I must have a valid national passport.
Do I dare or should I just apply for the travel document? (I do not want to do anything to jeopardize my citizenship, especially since I also plan to work for the government once I become a citizen)
Thank you in advance for your replies.

I will have an interview for political asylum case but I registered for lottery last year

Dear friends,

I want to file an application for my asylum case in near future, But I registered for green card lottery last year.
Do you think it will be a problem for my asylum case?

Thank you.

Hi

I have been waiting for my GC since december 2011 .I filed actually November 2011 and it is still on intial review status .I got an info pass and they told me my application sent to asylum unit again for review .Something like quality assurance .I am just very worried and I donot know what does it mean? should i worried about it ? Do i need a lawyer ? Is there any post desicion on already granted asylum ?!
please let me know if you know anything.
thank you
Mafina

Applying for Adjustment of Status

moderators please delete

Last edited by a moderator:
This was the fastest AOS I have experienced in the TSC.
I-485 after 1 year as an Asylee

Dec 30 2005 --- Receipt Notice (I-485)
Jan 20 2006 --- Biometrics and finger print Appointment
Jan 28 2006 --- Notice of cases approved
February 07 2006 ---- GC were mailed
February 09 2006 Green Cards were received.

** This was the case for 3 asylees (Ages 9, 9, and 5)
** The principal applicant and the spouse cases are still pending.

(Less than 2 months for asylee AOS for 3 minors)

This is how mine happened

May 8 2013 --- Receipt Notice
May 12 2013 --- Biometrics taken
June 16 2013 --- Notice of case approved
June 19 2013 --- Green card received

less than two months too :D

Hello people,
Last month my wife and I applied for a long time waited US Citizenship thru her Union, in this case 1199 in New York. As spouse of asylee, I already received the RD and ND notification from USCIS, but our worries are why just Me got them and how do we "interpret" the situation. Is it a normal procedure that we shouldn't be worry and does this means that she's going to be interviewed separately than me?

Thank you very much.

Hi, I am applying for green card. Do we need to submit proof of one year residency? I don't see it in any instructions for I-485 or list of documents needed for applying. But saw it in some checklists posted online by someones.

it wouldn't hurt to submit a copy of your rental contact or something if it's easy to do. it's not in the i-485 instructions but i believe it's something the immigration officer needs to check.

Hi, I am applying for green card. Do we need to submit proof of one year residency? I don't see it in any instructions for I-485 or list of documents needed for applying. But saw it in some checklists posted online by someones.

it wouldn't hurt to submit a copy of your rental contact or something if it's easy to do. it's not in the i-485 instructions but i believe it's something the immigration officer needs to check.
Thanks for reply, I thought it wouldn't hurt so I included my college enrollment for one year just in case.

Hello,

Anybody who applied for asylum has a two year home residency requirement unfulfilled from an exchange program? Should I still get a home residency waiver although I already have an asylee status and would like to adjust to a green card?

Thanks in advance. I am worried a lot!

Helpful info: was collected from this forum

1)
by cadel
"The most important is code 1 which means Fingerprint.This is for your background check purpose,part of your application process.Uscis collects your fingerprints and send them to FBI for screenning.FBI does the job and send the result to uscis.Once you're done with medical and biographic,you may get approved from day to another one.Then you receive an approval notice.That means,code 1 is done necessary before an approval.Code 2(Digtal photo and signature+ index print) is only for GC production.You may do it before or after approval.This depends on how the I.O on charge of your case works.If you do code 2 before an approval,your card is produced as soon you get approved and you get it in 3-4 days.If you don't,uscis will schedule you for one and then they can be able to produce your card.Code 3 is when you do the 1 and the 2 at the same time.Code 3 is necessary done before an approval."

2)
"SRC - Cases that filed @tsc (Texas)
LIN - Cases that filed @nsc (Nebraska)
EAC - Cases that filed @VSC (Vermont)
WAC - Cases that filed @CSC (California)"

3)
"The first two numbers is the fiscal year of application. The next three are the number of days in the year. And the last numbers are just consecutive numbers.
For example if I applied on January, 26 2006. I will get: LIN-06-026-xxxxx"

4)
"Cl_Asylee
should I consider myself ND 2006 or ND 2005? I kind of liked being ND 2005 !

You are ND2006. Because you applied on Nov-2005. And Fiscal year 2006 is from Oct-01-2005 to Sep-30-2006"

5)
by LolaLi
You calculate your citizenship eligibility date as follows: 'Resident since' date on GC + 5 years - 90 days.

So for example: You got your GC on Jan. 10 2005. Your GC should have been backdated so that the 'resident since' date reads Jan. 10 2004.

Jan. 10 2004 + 5 years (Jan. 10 2009) - 90 days = Oct. 15 2008

*The person would be eligible to file N-400 on or after Oct. 15 2008.

Hope that helps.

Hi All Forum users,
Can any one on this forum explains about the biometrics code (1,2 and 3) for the the application of adjustment of status thru asylum
I have received myself and my wife having code 3 for the biometrics and my 2 daughters having code 2, but could not figured out how it works?

Please explain, if any one aware of it.

Thanks
Shyam Kumar

It has been very helpful coming all the way from I-589 application to getting I-485 Approval as an asylee.
Thank you so much for all forum users who has been contributing and sharing their experience .

My Time line is as follows:

I-589 Application submitted----------- November 6th 2013
Biotmetrics Done----------------------November 24th 2013
1st EAD ---------------------------------April 28th 2014
2nd EAD Renewal----------------------May 10th 2015
Interview Done ------------------------December 7th 2015
Recommended Approval-------------December 24th 2015
Final Approval-------------------------January 21st 2016
I-485 Application Submitted---------February 9th 2017
Receipt Notice-------------------------February 13th 2017
Biometrics Done----------------------March 30th 2017
Approval-------------------------------May 17th 2017
Card production and mailed (3 months 8 days in total)---------May 17th 2017

Expecting to get my Green card in the mail with in a week.

It has been very helpful coming all the way from I-589 application to getting I-485 Approval as an asylee.
Thank you so much for all forum users who has been contributing and sharing their experience .

My Time line is as follows:

I-589 Application submitted----------- November 6th 2013
Biotmetrics Done----------------------November 24th 2013
1st EAD ---------------------------------April 28th 2014
2nd EAD Renewal----------------------May 10th 2015
Interview Done ------------------------December 7th 2015
Recommended Approval-------------December 24th 2015
Final Approval-------------------------January 21st 2016
I-485 Application Submitted---------February 9th 2017
Receipt Notice-------------------------February 13th 2017
Biometrics Done----------------------March 30th 2017
Approval-------------------------------May 17th 2017
Card production and mailed (3 months 8 days in total)---------May 17th 2017

Expecting to get my Green card in the mail with in a week.
Congrats Shyam Kapoor, how much fee did you pay for Green card application, biomatrics and Medical etc?