San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Anyone having interviews in April

I see that most of the folks with prio dates between Aug-Oct are getting interviews in March or May. Is there anyone with interview dates in April?

Its good to know that PD of Oct 16 also has interviews in May, so I think mine being Dec is just 2 months away.

Also, I am thinking now that DHS sends ILs twice a month -- one near 15th and one near 30th of every month.

Good luck to all those who get ILs and OLs.

Hi Takadigi, I get it, I get it, I hope other people get it too ;) Yes, you have also made good comments on my previous post. That's right, the processing date can be used also to get them moving when an application has everything in order, but for some reason got delayed on issuing interview letter. Not all cases get stuck because of name check.

sasquatch, thanks for posting your timeline, it is encouraging to see that processing is moving into the second half of October. Hopefully we will start seeing some November cases soon. Good luck with your interview.

May be, I am not making it very clear (even though I think I said it multiple times before) that my case was never stuck in name check - something that was confirmed both at Infopass appointments earlier as well as at the interview.

I got it the first time you told me. I was just pointing to the fact that a lot of issues happened during scheduling when the procedure was changed to send ILs after name check and other formalities were complete from sending periodic ILs. So, even though your name check was successful but somehow missed the IL mailings.
Maybe I am wrong in that point. My apologies.

Good luck with your Oath.

Interview today

My wife just finished her interview at 9am today. Smooth. Just updating her timeline for the rest of you guys along with a copy of my own timeline

Mine: My wife's:

PD: Aug4th PD: Aug 4th
FP: Sep13th FP: Feb 12, walked in Feb4
IL recd: Dec10 IL Rec'd: Feb 15th
INT: Feb 2 INT: Apr 2
Oath: Mar 7 Oath: May 16th
Passport app in SFO: Mar13 Oath letter in hand post intview
Passport recd: Mar 14 Passport appt: May 16th

My takeaway advice: Always walk in for your FP as soon as you receive the letter, you probably will shave a couple of weeks off your timeframe at the least.

Mention to IO that you need to travel int'l very soon. My wife and I both got an earlier oath date by about 3 weeks by simply stating this which was the truth in our case. IO flipped through my passport to make sure I was a frequent traveler. With 46 countries visited in the last 2 years there was a confusing amount of stamps on my passports.

Also ask for the oath letter before you leave the interview. My wife got hers and mine came within a day as they wrote something like Expedite OL on the application.

Sorry about the formating - fixed

My wife just finished her interview at 9am today. Smooth. Just updating her timeline for the rest of you guys along with a copy of my own timeline

Mine:

PD: Aug4th
FP: Sep13th
IL recd: Dec10
INT: Feb 2
Oath: Mar 7
Passport app in SFO: Mar13
Passport recd: Mar 14

My wife's:
PD: Aug 4th
FP: Feb 12, walked in Feb4
IL Rec'd: Feb 15th
INT: Apr 3
Oath: May 16th Oath letter in hand post intview
Passport appt: May 16th (had to talk to agent as date was >14 days away)

My takeaway advice: Always walk in for your FP as soon as you receive the letter, you probably will shave a couple of weeks off your timeframe at the least.

Mention to IO that you need to travel int'l very soon. My wife and I both got an earlier oath date by about 3 weeks by simply stating this which was the truth in our case. IO flipped through my passport to make sure I was a frequent traveler. With 46 countries visited in the last 2 years there was a confusing amount of stamps on my passports.

Also ask for the oath letter before you leave the interview. My wife got hers and mine came within a day as they wrote something like Expedite OL on the application.

Talk to an agent at State dept passport office and get an appt as soon as you have an assigned oath date.

insead00:

congrats for both you and your wife!!

From your timeline, you get your passport within a day?! that was fast.

My oath will be on 4/18th and thinking about applying passport asap once
oath is done (want to travel oversea to see my wife). I didn't know there is another way other than applying the passport through local postal office with expedited request, until you mentioned State dept passport office. Is this the passport angency in SF? Does that require an appoinment?
Thanks in advance

My wife's:
PD: Aug 4th
FP: Feb 12, walked in Feb4
IL Rec'd: Feb 15th
INT: Apr 3
Oath: May 16th Oath letter in hand post intview
Passport appt: May 16th (had to talk to agent as date was >14 days away)

Any reason why your wife got a FP date 6 months after her prio date?

yes...she's in the USA

Currently on H-1B.
EAD is taking ~90 days from notice date. We didn't apply for EAD since she's on H-1B. But in many cases, interviews happen before that time period ( not sure about CSC tho...), so the IO is cancelling EAD's at the interview ( money lost) :).

Passport in a day

insead00:

congrats for both you and your wife!!

From your timeline, you get your passport within a day?! that was fast.

My oath will be on 4/18th and thinking about applying passport asap once
oath is done (want to travel oversea to see my wife). I didn't know there is another way other than applying the passport through local postal office with expedited request, until you mentioned State dept passport office. Is this the passport angency in SF? Does that require an appoinment?
Thanks in advance

I did get my passport in a day after I submitted it. I made an interview at the SF Passport agency - go to travel.state.gov. There's a number to call for appointment and it was bloody hard getting an appt through the automated system. So start calling now !! I was not going to let the naturalization certificate out of my sight after all the years I had to wait for it :), never mind sending it in the mail.

I walked in to the passport agency at 11 am on the 13th and picked up my passport at 9:30 am on the 14th. I probably wasted $50 or so on gas but I couldn't wait to get this stuff behind me. I also had an itinerary showing me flying out on the 16th although they did not even look at the itinerary.

FP date

Any reason why your wife got a FP date 6 months after her prio date?

I don't know why they took so long. Only thing we could think of was that a cousin of my wife was arrested for shoplifting and subsequently let go without charges as it was apparently an honest mistake.

I figured since the cousin shared the same last name/nationality/gender combo they had a hit on the last name in the name check and sent it up the chain for further verification.

winona ryder said the same...

I don't know why they took so long. Only thing we could think of was that a cousin of my wife was arrested for shoplifting and subsequently let go without charges as it was apparently an honest mistake.

I figured since the cousin shared the same last name/nationality/gender combo they had a hit on the last name in the name check and sent it up the chain for further verification.

jk !!! good luck !

I am new here. Can anyone let me know what infopass is? How can I get it?

It is just a process to schedule an appointment with an immigration officer at the local district office of the USCIS. The USCIS web site has a link to an online tool to schedule an Infopass appointment.

I walked in to the passport agency at 11 am on the 13th and picked up my passport at 9:30 am on the 14th. I probably wasted $50 or so on gas but I couldn't wait to get this stuff behind me. I also had an itinerary showing me flying out on the 16th although they did not even look at the itinerary.

Didn't you have to show proof of travel to avail of this expedited service? I thought, at a minimum, a printed travel itinerary is necessary.

That's not good. I hope this is not a trend, just a hiccup. The fingerprint letter usually arrives rather quickly, one or two weeks after notice.

Good luck.