1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what is next step after getting visa

Discussion in 'Lottery Visas - DV' started by nepa2013, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. nepa2013

    nepa2013 Registered Users (C)

    Hello forum members!

    Although my sponsor is guiding me how to move to USA but i am still confusing that any additional documents (other than my interview submitted documents) do i carry during my departure to USA? How long later can I get my SSN Card and green card after my entry? Can I get job immediately when i reach there????? How much money can I carry? any limitation to carry cash USD? Please help and waiting response from you all. ...Thanks and best of luck for all who are intending to move US and to do interview very soon.

  2. nkm-oct23

    nkm-oct23 Registered Users (C)

    You don't need anything else except the passport with visa and the package given to you at the consulate. Carry that package in your hand, don't put it in your checked baggage.
    SSN will come in 4-6 weeks. Actual green card will arrive in 2-3 weeks.
    You are eligible to seek a job once you enter, getting a job depends on many things.
    You can carry any amount of money, anything over US $ 10000 will have to be reported to US customs authorities when you land. Your country may also have a restriction on it.
    Guriix likes this.
  3. baku

    baku Registered Users (C)

    Sorry I don't know all of the answers, but after you get your visa get an air ticket and fly.
    I read in another thread that you should better carry few additional 2"x2" (DV standard) photographs and also if you are at Nepal then just by showing your passport and air tickets any bank or exchange agency can get you an exchange of US $2500 no question asked but if you want more than that then you will need to show reason and necessary documents and you may also be asked to approach central Bank (N.R.B.).
    I would suggest better look for an airline which would give you most baggage allowance. Good-luck.
  4. nepa2013

    nepa2013 Registered Users (C)

    Thank you for your reply. i am hoping more replies about it who already went to USA getting DV.
  5. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

    DHS has just instituted a visa processing fee (this fee has been authorized since 2010 but they are only now starting to collect it). That fee is $165. IF you do not pay it for yourself and each dependent (spouse and kids, if any) then USCIS will NOT send you your greencard(s).

    Upon entry, you will be processed as an arriving new immigrant. It takes a little longer to get through the checkpoint. Your visa (in your passport) will serve as proof of immigrant status and be a temporary greencard good for one year. This will be your employment authorization also, an employer may NOT refuse to hire you while awaiting issuance of the SSN. Hopefully, you checked the box on the DS-230 Application for the visa, which asks for a SSN to be sent automatically.

    Lastly, have a firm mailing address ready. If the address you gave as your U.S. address has changed or is likely to change soon after entry, you need to update that info at time of entry or ASAP (so you can get your SSN and greencard).

    Good Luck.
  6. nepa2013

    nepa2013 Registered Users (C)

    Hello Bigjoe

    Thank your for your reply. but now i am in confuse that when and how to pay $165 to USCIS? at the time of port of entry or we have to go somewhere to pay this $165 for each?
  7. BigJoe5

    BigJoe5 Registered Users (C)

  8. nepa2013

    nepa2013 Registered Users (C)

    Just today i went to our embassy to collect my Visa and documents what they gave me to submit to POE. On the occasion, they oriented us how and what to do further action after getting visa and being permanent resident. But they don't brief about $165 additional to get green card.
  9. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    The fee is only applicable to visas issued from February 2013.

  10. perera1987

    perera1987 Registered Users (C)

    I guess your right,
  11. NuvF

    NuvF Member

    The fee is for the USCIS who would process (issue physical GC) people who come in after 2/1/13.
    Even if you got your visa stamp before, but you come to US on or after 2/1, you will be most likely be charged, IMO.
    Pl dbl chk. (you will probably know it at POE during USCIS leg of processing, I think)

    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  12. Sm1smom

    Sm1smom Super Moderator

    The new fee shouldn't quite apply to anyone who received their visa package before Feb. 1st 2013, (even if they arrive in the US on/after Feb. 1st) going by the information on USCIS's website:


    But then government agencies have been known to say one thing regarding a policy, and the people implementing such policies to do another thing.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  13. NuvF

    NuvF Member

    Yeah, seems it is for those who receive approved DV CP packets after 2/1. (it will be the 'date issued' on the visa stamp, regardless when you rcv it, I m sure. So some who get approved in Jan but rcv it in Feb may get away with it! )

    But as Smsmom said, YOU NEVER KNOW!!, so be prepared to pay if you come in after 2/1!!

    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  14. nepa2013

    nepa2013 Registered Users (C)

    Thank you Nuvf, its' really helpful but we have to prepare for this.
  15. Omahdini

    Omahdini Registered Users (C)

    Hi, I really need help !

    I m a dv 2014 winner and will be taking the interview on the 4th Sept. However i m not worried about that. I m a medical student, and will start my 3rd year on the 8th Sept. I have two options :
    --My 1st option, right after i got the visa to travel and stay 1 and half months in the US, and come back. . .
    --My 2nd option, to departure on the 24th of Jan. to the US, and stay for 1 month. ( 2nd option is more safe for me bcuz it will b the winter holiday)

    so these are my questions :

    1. After the first entry to the US, in one and half months, can i obtain my GC and apply for re-entry permit?
    2. if i dont receive the GC in 2 weeks, can i still apply for the re-entry permit without it? and will 1 month be enough for it

    I cant stay more then 1 month away from school and i m really so confused, exhausted of thinking and ran out of options, i just want to finish my medical school and permenantly move to the US,

    Please I kindly request your thoughtful ideas and experiences.

    Thanks so much in advance,

  16. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    As long as you have a US address where your GC will be sent, you do not need to wait for it to leave. The first entry to the US can be anytime within the visa expiry date - usually 6 months after issuance. Once you enter and activate your LPR status, you can leave for up to 12 months to tie up loose ends. Would that be enough time?
    Omahdini likes this.
  17. keisuke

    keisuke Registered Users (C)

    @ dr omr, I am a med student as well and won in DV2013 at the begining of my final year of med sch. What I did is as follows:
    Travelled to the states, activated my green card and got my ssn. I spent 3 days in total and returned back to my clinical rotations.
    Having family or anyone you can trust to hold/send your green card to you would ease your burden a great deal as mine took a little over 6 weeks to arrive. If you plan on staying in the states for a month, your ssn arrives within a week(pls go apply for it in person) and you got your alien number on your immigrant visa, so I think it's safe to say you can apply for your re-entry permit but the thing is I don't know how long it takes to be called for your biometrics, as you have to be physically present in the US to apply for a re-entry permit.
    On a different note I am african as well and would like to bring to your attention that a green card and a potential US citizenship is a blessing from God almighty, do everything in your power not to loose it.
    Omahdini likes this.
  18. Omahdini

    Omahdini Registered Users (C)

    @Britsimon, thank you so much really,
    I can do this, after the visa issuance, i go to the U.S , activate my LPR status, apply for the SSN and stay for almost 1 week. Then come back to persuade my medical school. Again it will take 10 months for thr school year to finish, so not to take risk , i will spend my winter holiday there, which is 1 month.
    And when th school yr comes to an end, in the summer time, for 3months i will stay there, apply for re-entery permit and work with in that period.

    What do you think of my plan ?
  19. Britsimon

    Britsimon Super Moderator

    1. You have to have a good reason to get the re-entry permit - some are denied.
    2. As long as you do the application and bio while in the USA you don't need to wait to get the permit, it can be sent to your home country embassy.
    3. You might want to consider completing your studies in the States. You might save time in the long run as there are challenges to getting certified in the States even once fully qualified. Completing studies in the States would reduce that hassle...
    Omahdini likes this.
  20. Omahdini

    Omahdini Registered Users (C)

    @keisuke , i have been looking around for someone like me, thanks GOD i spotted u.
    Thanks for the advice brother, however the difference is, u were in ur last year but im in my 3rd yr, still 4 years to go.

    From ur above note, after u left after 3 days, when exactly did u go back again to the US?
    And is the stamp ( temporary residence for 1 yr) that they put on ur passport upon arrival to the US can act as multiple visa entry, i mean can u enter multiple times to the US within ths 1yr?

Share This Page