• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

what is next step after getting visa

1. You have to have a good reason to get the re-entry permit - some are denied.
2. As long as you do the application and bio while in the USA you don't need to wait to get the permit, it can be sent to your home country embassy.
3. You might want to consider completing your studies in the States. You might save time in the long run as there are challenges to getting certified in the States even once fully qualified. Completing studies in the States would reduce that hassle...

I m really considering this,
But when i explored my options to see how much that is possible, it was like impossible to carry on Med. School there. But again after i go, i will try my best and go after informations.

@Britsimon , in my above note where i told u about my plan till the summer, how did u find it?

Thanks so much in advancw

But when i explored my options to see how much that is possible, it was like impossible to carry on Med. School there. But again after i go, i will try my best and go after informations.

@Britsimon , in my above note where i told u about my plan till the summer, how did u find it?

The plan seems fine. However, I'm not sure you will be able to keep the GC with the 4 years you are planning. Perhaps others might have better information about that.

Think hard. At some point you are going to have to retrain/requalify. Would you rather do that earlier in your education/career or later?

I would go a step further than britsimon and say that if you want to spend another 4 years in your home country completing medical school - that you have a very high chance of losing your green card. Just arriving once or twice a year for a while will not keep you your green card. And a reentry permit lasts two years. Believe me, I've been out and back, you get questioned properly on re-entry....

Is the problem with doing medical school in the US the way it is structured, with a pre-med BS and then medical school? If so I suggest you look into community colleges and the financing available to LPRs to do this. Otherwise I am afraid I see a very high probability of you qualifying as a doctor earlier, but having lost your green card in the process.

I would go a step further than britsimon and say that if you want to spend another 4 years in your home country completing medical school - that you have a very high chance of losing your green card. Just arriving once or twice a year for a while will not keep you your green card. And a reentry permit lasts two years. Believe me, I've been out and back, you get questioned properly on re-entry....

Is the problem with doing medical school in the US the way it is structured, with a pre-med BS and then medical school? If so I suggest you look into community colleges and the financing available to LPRs to do this. Otherwise I am afraid I see a very high probability of you qualifying as a doctor earlier, but having lost your green card in the process.

@SusieQQQ , u r so right.
i just wanna do this in the 1st year, i mean next year. and after that to find a way that i can carry on with my late 3 yr of clinic studies in the US for good, and hopefully i believe it can happen.
@SusieQQQ and @Britsimon thank you so much for your concern and help really, i do appreciate this. Thanks alot.

@ Dr omr, I would be awarded my MD in september from a European university and ever since I left in febuary I haven't been back to the states. Yes upon endorsement your immigrant visa is your temporary green card for 1 yr which allows you multiple entry, however you can have your actual green card sent to you as I did.
Listen to our elder sister susieQ lol :) she makes a very good point because getting a residency spot as a foreign medical graduate is becoming extremely difficult I must confess even after passing all USMLE steps. My advice is this, go back to the drawing board because the decisions you make today will affect the rest of your future, I am 25yrs of age and as such will not go back to med sch to learn all what I already know. I assume you are a few yrs younger than me, now that gives you sufficient time to restructure/reform your future goals and aspirations.
@Britsimon I would like to express my profound gratitude for all you have done on this forum, you help and advice has been PRICELESS , I often speak to my wife about you and I do hope to be as successful as you are in a few years :) all in all thank you for your kindness.

@ Dr omr, I would be awarded my MD in september from a European university and ever since I left in febuary I haven't been back to the states. Yes upon endorsement your immigrant visa is your temporary green card for 1 yr which allows you multiple entry, however you can have your actual green card sent to you as I did.
Listen to our elder sister susieQ lol :) she makes a very good point because getting a residency spot as a foreign medical graduate is becoming extremely difficult I must confess even after passing all USMLE steps. My advice is this, go back to the drawing board because the decisions you make today will affect the rest of your future, I am 25yrs of age and as such will not go back to med sch to learn all what I already know. I assume you are a few yrs younger than me, now that gives you sufficient time to restructure/reform your future goals and aspirations.
@Britsimon I would like to express my profound gratitude for all you have done on this forum, you help and advice has been PRICELESS , I often speak to my wife about you and I do hope to be as successful as you are in a few years :) all in all thank you for your kindness.

Yes good advice there. I'm sure medicine is a more expensive education in the USA, but you could well find a faster, more rewarding careerpath later.

Thank you for the kind words, there are many that contribute in various ways here, but it is nice to be thanked, so thanks right back at ya on behalf of all those that contribute. Say hi to Mrs Keisuke!

DHS has just instituted a visa processing fee (this fee has been authorized since 2010 but they are only now starting to collect it). That fee is $165. IF you do not pay it for yourself and each dependent (spouse and kids, if any) then USCIS will NOT send you your greencard(s).

Upon entry, you will be processed as an arriving new immigrant. It takes a little longer to get through the checkpoint. Your visa (in your passport) will serve as proof of immigrant status and be a temporary greencard good for one year. This will be your employment authorization also, an employer may NOT refuse to hire you while awaiting issuance of the SSN. Hopefully, you checked the box on the DS-230 Application for the visa, which asks for a SSN to be sent automatically.

Lastly, have a firm mailing address ready. If the address you gave as your U.S. address has changed or is likely to change soon after entry, you need to update that info at time of entry or ASAP (so you can get your SSN and greencard).

Good Luck.
How long does it normally take? 30 mins or like 1-2 hrs? I mean with the CBP officer, excluding line wait times :)

How long does it normally take? 30 mins or like 1-2 hrs? I mean with the CBP officer, excluding line wait times :)

It's a how long is a piece of string question...even at the same airport it can vary hugely depending on time of day or year, and how many people are in secondary ahead of you, and who they are. With us it took 10 minutes in line but nearly 1.5 hours in secondary, with others it can be the other way around. Sometimes both short. sometimes both long. If you happen to end up in secondary behind a planeload of people coming from a country with security concerns, it can take a while.

It's a how long is a piece of string question...even at the same airport it can vary hugely depending on time of day or year, and how many people are in secondary ahead of you, and who they are. With us it took 10 minutes in line but nearly 1.5 hours in secondary, with others it can be the other way around. Sometimes both short. sometimes both long. If you happen to end up in secondary behind a planeload of people coming from a country with security concerns, it can take a while.
What do you mean secondary line? Like do they send you to another check point after you go through the initial CBP check? Also I imagine one would go through the permanent residents/citizens section right (initially)? Thank you Susie!

What do you mean secondary line? Like do they send you to another check point after you go through the initial CBP check? Also I imagine one would go through the permanent residents/citizens section right (initially)? Thank you Susie!

Yes and no, respectively.
Re the second, until you are admitted on your immigrant visa, you are not a LPR yet...you need to have a green card already for the privilege of that line ;) . Some airports do have separate lines for new immigrants though.

When you enter, you first go in the normal visitor line (or new immigrant if there is one) - though do wave your brown envelope at one of the CBP officials directing people to lines as you may get lucky with being sent to the other one.

You'll hand your envelope to the immigration officer who will open it, look at it, welcome you, and send you to secondary. You'll wait there for someone to do the processing for LPRs - fingerprints, form filling in etc. Secondary is a combination of new immigrants, and non immigrants that are undergoing closer scrutiny.

Yes and no, respectively.
Re the second, until you are admitted on your immigrant visa, you are not a LPR yet...you need to have a green card already for the privilege of that line ;) . Some airports do have separate lines for new immigrants though.

When you enter, you first go in the normal visitor line (or new immigrant if there is one) - though do wave your brown envelope at one of the CBP officials directing people to lines as you may get lucky with being sent to the other one.

You'll hand your envelope to the immigration officer who will open it, look at it, welcome you, and send you to secondary. You'll wait there for someone to do the processing for LPRs - fingerprints, form filling in etc. Secondary is a combination of new immigrants, and non immigrants that are undergoing closer scrutiny.
Ah, makes sense! Is there a new immigrants line at JFK? There's gotta be one... I've been through there at least 5-6 times, but can't remember or never paid attention, even though I spent a lot of time there just waiting in line haha

Are there a lot of forms to fill out? The person incoming barely speaks/knows much English, so not sure what I need to instruct. Thanks again for your help Susie!

Ah, makes sense! Is there a new immigrants line at JFK? There's gotta be one... I've been through there at least 5-6 times, but can't remember or never paid attention, even though I spent a lot of time there just waiting in line haha

Are there a lot of forms to fill out? The person incoming barely speaks/knows much English, so not sure what I need to instruct. Thanks again for your help Susie!

From memory, some but not all terminals at JFK have.
The applicant doesn't fill out the form, it's done by the officer, then you add your fingerprints to it and sign it - so no worries on that front. Now that the new green cards won't have signatures/fingerprints on any more I don't even know if they will still do that, actually.

From memory, some but not all terminals at JFK have.
The applicant doesn't fill out the form, it's done by the officer, then you add your fingerprints to it and sign it - so no worries on that front. Now that the new green cards won't have signatures/fingerprints on any more I don't even know if they will still do that, actually.
I see. Didn't realize the new cards won't have signatures/fingerprints, very interesting. Either way thanks for the info Susie, much appreciated!

Hello forum members!

Although my sponsor is guiding me how to move to USA but i am still confusing that any additional documents (other than my interview submitted documents) do i carry during my departure to USA? How long later can I get my SSN Card and green card after my entry? Can I get job immediately when i reach there????? How much money can I carry? any limitation to carry cash USD? Please help and waiting response from you all. ...Thanks and best of luck for all who are intending to move US and to do interview very soon.

NEPA

Pay the $165 green card processing fee, it doesn't mean they'll start processing the card when you pay but when you enter the US. Your sponsor can help you look for work near where you'll be living. Have some money with you to help your host with grocery shopping and such.