Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

You right formerf1

I am really want to know what happen with his case
he promise to update

It not even one month yet I don't think he has got any result yet.
But many will lose the mood many days after promise no matter of
outcome. The reason s simple: if the result is bad, one will get too
depressed, if the result is good, one may not think it is a good idea
to go everywhere syaing you beat the USCIS.

Do you think anyone facing deportation for noncitizen voting will be
in the local news that is googlable?

I have not heard anything yet, which is driving me crazy.
I am also scared to post the results if they are good which may fire back at me.
So if you don't hear any thing back from me assume that everything went well. I will still post the bad news anyway for other to learn from.

I have not heard anything yet, which is driving me crazy.
I am also scared to post the results if they are good which may fire back at me.
So if you don't hear any thing back from me assume that everything went well. I will still post the bad news anyway for other to learn from.

What do you mean by posting a good outcome may fire back?

What do you mean by posting a good outcome may fire back?

I don't think there is a bakfire, but if you are paranoid, you can think
along this line: one tell a story that one get citizenship approved even if he voted iielgally then somneone who has zero tolerance will complain
to DHS saying USCIS did not punish what is punishable. Or someone else who is in removal for thsi same matter argue
why ICE deport me but USCIS grant citizenship to someone else who did the exactly the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would bring up a very painful question - Can citizenship once granted be revoke? From what I found USCIS does have limited authority on this matter, but none that apply to OP’s situation.

http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/ina340.htm

The INS may seek denaturalization if the applicant made a false oral statement under oath (regardless of whether the testimony is material) with the subjective intent of obtaining immigration benefits. Alternatively, the INS may seek denaturalization if the applicant procured naturalization by concealment or willful misrepresentation of a material fact.

I don't think there is a bakfire, but if you are paranoid, you can think
along this line: one tell a story that one get citizenship approved even if he voted iielgally then somneone who has zero tolerance will complain
to DHS saying USCIS did not punish what is punishable. Or someone else who is in removal for thsi same matter argue
why ICE deport me but USCIS grant citizenship to someone else who did the exactly the same thing.

Exactly....I was told by the last lawyer I spoke to and read in some of the articles one of you guys had posted earlier that the decision of approving or denying an application is on case by case basis and it is up to the IO discretion. So for someone, even me, to say “why did you approve someone else and not me” and even try to find their real name maybe not a good idea.

From what I found USCIS does have limited authority on this matter ...

The INS may seek denaturalization if the applicant made a false oral statement under oath (regardless of whether the testimony is material) with the subjective intent of obtaining immigration benefits. Alternatively, the INS may seek denaturalization if the applicant procured naturalization by concealment or willful misrepresentation of a material fact.
The link is a bit outdated. There was a legal precedent in 2000-2001 that permanently prevented the INS from implementing the de-naturalisation procedures through administrative means. It seems that now the citizenship can be revoked only through judicial proceedings in federal courts in which the USCIS bears a heavy burden of proof.

Please refer to Gorbach, et al. v. Reno, et al., 2001

Exactly....I was told by the last lawyer I spoke to and read in some of the articles one of you guys had posted earlier that the decision of approving or denying an application is on case by case basis and it is up to the IO discretion. So for someone, even me, to say “why did you approve someone else and not me” and even try to find their real name maybe not a good idea.

Come on give us the happy news and we will just throw a party and Congratulate you :D

Were you approved??

BTW I remember a poster a while back who had broken some continous residence rule and was approved anyway she came back with very nasty posts about how she had beaten the system and was very nasty to people who had tried to help her,,, in her case she was VERY proud of what she had done but if I remember correctly she had lied to IO. In your case if they approve you then you won fair and square because you told the truth and the truth will set you free LOL...

good luck :)

. It seems that now the citizenship can be revoked only through judicial proceedings in federal courts in which the USCIS bears a heavy burden of proof.

Please refer to Gorbach, et al. v. Reno, et al., 2001

Perfectly right!Not only 'heavy burden' of proof but seems total burden of proof.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I am not a lawyer and I am just a lay man without any legal knowledge.!
Read the above STRICTLY at your own risk.

The decision of approving or denying an application is on case by case basis and it is up to the IO discretion.

Therefore if you are approved, It will be at the discretion of IO. Same IO could deny another with similar case (discretionary power remember?). What could therefore be the cause of backfire from posting approval?

:confused:

If you feel posting the details will jeopardize you in any way, do not post any further details,period.(because your interests will be utmost).
But if you feel it OK and comfortable with it,you may try this.
It's fine--just post 'ship on sail again'.
Otherwise--'SOS'.
The reason is people wished you to win and people will be happy to know if you win. :)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: I am not a lawyer and I am just a lay man without any legal knowledge.!
Read the above STRICTLY at your own risk.

Good idea dude. Remember, I promised to let you all know the outcome. I cannot express how much I appreciate your help and advice.
By the way, the South American guy (one of you had posted his case in this forum) had emailed me back and said that he was approved after a big fight in court that had cost him so much money. He was very nice and supportive so I am planning on doing the same thing.
On 08/15/09, it will be a month since my interview and I am hoping that "No News is a Good News"
does anyone know how to find out the next Ought Ceremony in Memphis, TN? I googled it and it did not give me any upcoming date.
Thanks

Woooow!!!! do I get anything for holding this trophy? (-:
Okay does anyone know anyone who was disapproved after receiving the letter of approval recommendation N-652?

Well, it says "...if final approval is granted, you will be notified when and where to report for the Oath Ceremony..." so IF is always not a good thing.... have you ever heard of any case where someone got disapproved after they received this letter.
Thanks for the kind word

No I have not.. i received the same letter after a successful interview, waiting for oath letter now. Given your circumstances i think you are 99% through. They have looked at all the facts you provided and thought you made a honest mistake. You can sleep in peace now man.. good job and relax.. your oath letter should just be a few weeks away.

Woooow!!!! do I get anything for holding this trophy? (-:
Okay does anyone know anyone who was disapproved after receiving the letter of approval recommendation N-652?

Congratulations. Everyone is happy to hear that. It is really the
case of the year.

Did you get this N-652 by mail or you went to your second interview?