Voting Before Naturalization Can Cause you Problems

Hi all,

Does anyone know if LA county will report LPRs, who registered to vote AND voted, to the immigration authorities? A friend of mine is in this boat (registered and voted last year) and has submitted a cancellation of voter registration, but is concerned that LA county will notice their registration and fact of voting and report this to immigration authorities. I've read a few cases of LPRs registering to vote AND/OR voting and it seems like no one had trouble cancelling the voter registration itself.

I doubt it, especially LA county. But, naturalisation is a different kettle of fish.

Thanks for the response. What's your reasoning behind this?

Yeah naturalization is a whole nother thing to be revoked with. My friend is looking to remove the conditions of their green card later this year, so we're worried they may have trouble doing even that.

Authorities don't really share information in general, but LA especially since they are a sanctuary county/city. Mobile, Alabama might report things like this, but I wouldn't think LA would.

Now, come naturalisation, this would essentially need to be reported, and then I think CIS would take it very seriously, especially since this person didn't just register, but actually voted. So, avoiding naturalisation would be the way to go.

So, it's safe to assume LA won't share voter reg info because a) they're a sanctuary county/city and b) the LA county registrar is a state organization so they're not as inclined to share information with USCIS/ICE because they are a federal organization?

Would you happen to have links to other cases of people who have/are in the same boat as my friend and have deregistered without problems?

So, it's safe to assume LA won't share voter reg info because a) they're a sanctuary county/city and b) the LA county registrar is a state organization so they're not as inclined to share information with USCIS/ICE because they are a federal organization?

Would you happen to have links to other cases of people who have/are in the same boat as my friend and have deregistered without problems?

Anyone else have any opinions on my friend's case?

Well, remember that this is just my opinion, but yes, I highly doubt LA would divulge this information to ICE or any federal agency. I don't have any links, though. But, just because LA probably won't rat on your friend, it doesn't mean this isn't a VERY SERIOUS OFFENCE. Your friend could easily be in a huge vat of hot water if the feds do find out another way (like when applying for naturalisation).

Hi all,

Does anyone know if LA county will report LPRs, who registered to vote AND voted, to the immigration authorities? A friend of mine is in this boat (registered and voted last year) and has submitted a cancellation of voter registration, but is concerned that LA county will notice their registration and fact of voting and report this to immigration authorities. I've read a few cases of LPRs registering to vote AND/OR voting and it seems like no one had trouble cancelling the voter registration itself.

The chances that LA county voluntarily goes to USCIS to report that such and such immigrant voted are Slim and None and last I checked Slim was on his way out of town. The I-751 has a question which goes Have you ever been arrested, detained, ........or committed any crime which you were not arrested.... His answer should be NO ;) because he doesn't know voting is a crime.

However he should remember never to go anywhere near trying to apply for citizenship when the time comes until his whole immigration history and this issue is reviewed by a qualified attorney.

As of today, I am a US Citizen:):D. Thank you all for your help and support and remember that every case is different and the decision is in the hand of your Immigration Officer. I hope my case helped others and made a difference. God Bless The United States of America.

Congratulation for successfully getting through this hardship. Unfortunately, it falls on me now and it is exactly the same case. I have no idea of what should I do first.

unknowingly that vote as a permanent resident is illegal and I just realized that it is against the law. I want to come clean here when I apply for citizenship. Any advise of what to do would be really appreciated. I knew I'm in a big trouble :(

unknowingly that vote as a permanent resident is illegal and I just realized that it is against the law. I want to come clean here when I apply for citizenship. Any advise of what to do would be really appreciated. I knew I'm in a big trouble :(

How long ago did you vote, and for how long have you been a U.S. permanent resident?

Did you also register and claim to be a citizen? Give some detail as to the circumstances of your case.

My wife and I got married in the USA in 1989. She was a permanent resident since 1981. I was born in the USA in 1966 and have lived here my whole life. We have 3 grown children and 2 grand children all born in the USA. Our oldest daughter served in the military and I have always had a strong sense of patriotism and a sense of civic duty. Unfortunately my wife got talked into registering to vote at the DMV when she renewed her license in 1992 and then I talked her into voting after that. In 2002 I learned that she was not eligible to vote as a permanent resident. She has not voted since then. We are now in the process of applying for her to get her citizenship and we got to the question on the N-400 about voting. Like I said, she hasn't voted since 2002 and she is no longer registered to vote. She only voted because I really wanted her to do that as I believed it was her civic duty. She lived in the USA as a permanent resident for 11 years before voting. She's not not voted for almost 15 years. What are her chances of getting her citizenship?

My wife and I got married in the USA in 1989. She was a permanent resident since 1981. I was born in the USA in 1966 and have lived here my whole life. We have 3 grown children and 2 grand children all born in the USA. Our oldest daughter served in the military and I have always had a strong sense of patriotism and a sense of civic duty. Unfortunately my wife got talked into registering to vote at the DMV when she renewed her license in 1992 and then I talked her into voting after that. In 2002 I learned that she was not eligible to vote as a permanent resident. She has not voted since then. We are now in the process of applying for her to get her citizenship and we got to the question on the N-400 about voting. Like I said, she hasn't voted since 2002 and she is no longer registered to vote. She only voted because I really wanted her to do that as I believed it was her civic duty. She lived in the USA as a permanent resident for 11 years before voting. She's not not voted for almost 15 years. What are her chances of getting her citizenship?

Hey man, I don't know anything about your likelihood of her getting her citizenship. But, I will say that it's possible she will be in trouble for voting. For one thing, when she filled in the voter registration form, did she tick a box claiming to be a citizen?

Did you already submit your citizenship application? If you guys got by fine all this time, I would recommend against applying for citizenship.