San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

Received Oath Letter

Hi everyone

I have too received my oath letter, scheduled for 3PM.

thanks to everyone

IL received --- FINALLY!

Hi everyone,

I FINALLY received my IL!

What I heard from my two INFOPASS appointments(Jan 9 and Mar 9) was that the reason why my IL came so late was the length of my PR(I have been a PR for 30+ years). A person in charge of my case needed to review my Alien file of 30+ years.

Anyway, I feel like I cleared one big hurdle. I know my case may be rare, but if there is anyone who has a similar situation, don't worry. Your time will come.:)

PD -- May 8, 2007
FD -- July 25, 2007
IL -- Mar 27, 2008
ID -- May 12, 2008

I finally sent my e-mail to congresswoman Lofgren. This is the content of the e-mail, a bit rambling (I didn't spend the time to go back and check for grammar and style) but I hope it helps:

Dear Congresswoman Lofgren,

I am contacting you again to express my concern about the general slowness of the USCIS local office in San Jose (Monterey Road). I understand that due to the bad planning ahead of the enormous fee increase of last summer they are under a heavier load. However, the issue with San Jose office has a history of years. This means it is a structural lack of speed, besides the increase of applications due to the fee increase of some months ago. I would encourage you to exert pressure on USCIS to remedy this long standing inequity that the USCIS customers in San Jose have been suffering for years. Please do whatever is necessary for the San Jose local office to improve its performance. This could mean new facilities, load balancing some work with nearby offices, hiring more personnel, conducting interviews in other facilities. Whatever it takes. The Department of State were able to tackle the passport backlog rather quickly. It seems USCIS never does that. Whenever they are catching up with an old backlog, there is a new one coming. Backlogs are created both by fee increases, threat of new legislation (negative to immigrants), or by additional and sometimes gratuitous and time consuming background checks. I am myself "stuck" waiting for an interview for my child's N-600 application. It is a shame that what should take three months it seems is going to take almost a year. More than a shame it should be an embarrassment for USCIS.

I don't concur with the excuses provided by exiting USCIS director Emilio Gonzalez that USCIS employees are performing heroic efforts to deal with the backlog. It is not about heroics, it is about his and his bosses bad planning (it was completely expected and preventable) about the application surge. It is not a matter of heroics, it is a matter of hiring, and reassigning people. The problem is widespread, but the San Jose office is even slower than most other offices in the nation. I would suggest DHS to transfer some personal from ICE to USCIS temporarily to deal with the backlog.

Please allow me to include some anonymous comments about the San Jose office from an immigration forum to give you an idea of the extent of the frustration and agony caused by the excessive slowness of that office:

"t looks like many of you who got interviewed and have been recommended for approval back in Jan and Feb still have no luck with Oath letter. Any idea what the hold up is? I feel the process would have been faster and reduce backlog if SJ conducts SAME DAY OATH since SJC is a very busy place for citizenship applications. Same Day Oath will force the IOs and supervisors to make the decision the same day. After all, if one waited for so long for USCIS to conduct investigation on background and national security and get to the interview process, it should mean one is cleared the security and is not a thread to the country."

another comment:

"siliconhybrid, the fact no one got the April Oath doesn't make me feel better it sickens me even more. I can't even plan my trip outside the country, I want to spend about couple of months back in my home country and I can't do that now. These kind of delays are ONLY from San Jose and it makes me so annoyed.

ALL OVER the country it takes less than 6 months. My Friend(s) who live in Ohio and NJ both applied around Nov 2007 are citizens now. I applied in April 2007 and still worrying when the Oath letter will come and even SFO and Oakland is way faster. In my opinion San Jose is the most worst and un-organized service center in the whole country and this is TOTAL crap.

Can we do something like lodge a complaint? I am not sure what to do.

I am frustrated for sure. "

another one:

"Bkarth

I shared the same feeling.
Because of this long process in SJ DO, my wife and I had to delay our Euro trip indefinitely. In addition, my wife has been out of work for 4 months now because of her expired H1B. Our family needs a second income."

and another:

"
I completely agree with you. Especially for a ceremonial activity like taking oath, it's ridiculous that we have to wait >2 months after the interview. At the interview, they do administer the oath to tell the truth. Can't they just follow it up at the end of the interview and just administer the citizenship oath at that point? Just mail the certificate to the permanent address just like the passport is."

I just hope someone has the time to read my message and have some mercy on the poor citizens and immigrants who are affected by the slowness of the San Jose USCIS office. We pay a lot to receive little in terms of timely service. This is definitely an injustice.

Best regards,

Extremely Slow

Anybody with ND July 27 07 got their IL's. Info pass effects the criteria of processing?

Any body ....

Anyone knows a good place in the bay area or online that sells certificate holders for the naturalization certificate. They will be selling those outside the oath ceremony site for $10, which are quite ok, but just wondering if any other options available meanwhile.

Thanks in advance.

==

very good letter

Huracan - Great letter, Thanks a lot for sending it.:)
Let me know if you want me to do something.

OL received

Hi everyone,

I just received my Oath Letter and want to share my time line with everyone. (I read this forum quite a lot while going through the process). Good luck.

Coincoin
------------------
PD: 05/21/07
ND: 06/04/07
FP notice: 07/10/07
FP Appt & done: 08/03/07
IL: 12/15/07
ID: 02/12/08
OL: 03/27/08
Oath scheduled for: 04/24/08

N400 SJ Case Status

Hello,

I am one of the people waiting in the Q for the IL. Here are my details:

PD: Aug 8 2007
FP: Dec 13 2007

I am with the SJ processing office. If I change my address to a san francisco one now, will they send my case under the SF office and therefore get speeded up???

And waiting for the IL...

Anyone else out there with PD in Aug 2007

Anyone out there who had their PD in the end of July or Aug 2007, who got their IL???

please post if you did. that will help the rest of us figure out the speed of processing.

btw, in case they are going to reject your citizenship application, would they have done it already before taking the FP or can that happen now? I imagine they are studying the file after the FP is done.

On what grounds can they reject it? If all the other requirements are met? Like physical presence, continuous presence, 5 years etc etc....???

I am little worried 'cz i have several trips abroad planned in April, May until June 10th. And I just dont want the interview to be scheduled until Jun 10th minimum.....

Hi AlwaysDelayed,

I am preety much in same boat and didnt receive the IL. Not sure when I will get. Let me know if you get your IL.

Huracan - Great letter, Thanks a lot for sending it.:)
Let me know if you want me to do something.

Thanks :) I wish I knew what the next step would be. I would have written the citizenship ombudsman, but he's on his way out, or gone already. I am not sure about the effectiveness of online petitions. I remember reading a good argument about why they don't work as well as directly addressing a congressman or senator.

Received my passport on Sat 3/29. I had applied Normal processing so the speed at which it was issued was really fast! Still haven't received the Nat. Cert. though. Planning to go to SS office this week to change my status to citizen.

What is needed at the SS office to change status once you have your naturalization certificate ?

Also, is this just a formality for their records, or does it have some other implications ? Just wondering if we need to do this right away or it can wait.

Thanks.

==

Thank you all

I've been a long time silent observer of this thread. Just wanted to share my 2 cents what we might want to do about delays in San Jose DO.

First of all thanks Huracan for writing the letter to congresswoman, if we can come up with a standard letter describing the exceptionally long time it takes to complete the process in San Jose and comparing it with the time it takes in SF/Oakland/Sacramento, that might bring some attention to this issue. Just the time it takes between interview and Oath is ridiculous.

JMHO, I think as we are becoming citizens we shouldn't think that our hardships are over, but what we should think about how our right to vote can help folks behind us.

Just my 0.02.

Hello SimonSays and others,

I am not trying to defend the SJ office or anything as I am equally frustrated. I could have easily given an address which falls in fremont or SF and gotten it done quickly had I researched before that SJ office is taking so long (in one way, the fact that it is taking long is working in my favour, but I do want to get over now in June max.....so many other plans are on hold).

I imagine the main reason that the SJ office is so delayed is that they just have a huge number of cases. I mean surely there are more hispanics and mexicans and indians who live in south bay and therefore would fall in the jurisdiction of the SJ office.
So I don't blame the poor SJ office employees on one hand.
On the other hand, knowing that this situation is true, they ought to increase the staff in the SJ office to deal with this extra work.

All this etc will not change anything much for people who are already in the Q. But like Simonsays says, that part of becoming a citizen is also to be able to excercise our rights to make things better for other behind us. I am not a citizen yet, but once I do become, I would be happy to sign any letter etc suggesting some changes.

What is keeping my hopes high is that they will try to clear up maximum backlog before the Nov. elections, to get in more votes (they did similar things during the prior elections).