San Jose, CA - N-400 Timeline

After Oath???

Folks,

My wife got oath latter for 20 March, What are steps we should do after oath?

Should we fill N 600 form...

After oath : what is the next step?

thanks

Anyone has filed N-600 for their kid(s) after getting the citizenship ? Do they send any ack. or anything ? I know the docs have reached since i sent it by certified mail, but nothing after that.

Finally do they call you over and hand the certificate, or send it by mail etc. ?

I know that processing times are slow according to the web site below. Ours was sent in Dec '07.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=70

=====

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone has filed N-600 for their kid(s) after getting the citizenship ? Do they send any ack. or anything ? I know the docs have reached since i sent it by certified mail, but nothing after that.

Finally do they call you over and hand the certificate, or send it by mail etc. ?

I know that processing times are slow according to the web site below. Ours was sent in Dec '07.

https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/jsps/officeProcesstimes.jsp?selectedOffice=70

=====

I am glad someone else from San Jose is in the same N-600 boat as I am. On the other hand I am sad to hear you are in the San Jose boat, as it is a slow "expletive deleted" of a boat. San Jose N-600 is a black hole. If my experience is any indication you will never receive any ack, any receipt or anything from them and will just have to wait month after month to hear anything :( I have been waiting since August '07 :( I did some inquiries and I heard that the case is pending interview scheduling.

Whether they call you or send a certificate might depend on your particular case. If they have all the documents and no doubt of the child existence, and what not, they might waive the interview. I think older kids are called to do some sort of "oath" ceremony. I don't know if this applies to San Jose, I have seen this in other offices. San Jose office hasn't had many posters for N-600 so we have limited information about what goes on with this. Many don't bother applying for N-600 for their kids, although I think it might have good value in case a kid gets in trouble and USCIS/ICE is contacted by police to verify immigration status.

By the way, I opened this San Jose N-600 thread in the life after citizenship forum:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=263899

Good luck, but my guess is that it will take from 9 months to a year to get the certificate.

Document photocopies required during interview?

During your interview, did the IO ever asked for a photocopy of a particular document? Did you carry photocopies of all the required documents with you?

july 27 PD

Anybody with July 27 07 PD didnt get IL and waiting. I can see July 24 PD folks getting IL.

Please input if someone in same boat.

Experts Please Help

My wife completed her oath today @Campbell (Finally). During her N400 process we changed her last name to my last name. The naturalization cerificate has everything in order, but she did not get a name change order indicating the change.

We asked an IO outside about the deal, she said the marriage certificate is a good enough proof of her last name.

Is it correct? I am bit worried because we have to do a hell lot of work now (SS, DMV, BANKS, CREDIT CARDS etc.)

This would be my quick advice. Get a passport for her using the naturalization certificate first. Then use the passport to do all the other changes. That should be the easiest. Other than that a marriage certificate might be helpful, but if it is a foreign marriage certificate this can get you into more bureaucratic delays.

Women in Anglo Saxon countries don't have any issue taking the husband name, and the only proof needed is the marriage certificate. This is my understanding.

My 2 cents.

This would be my quick advice. Get a passport for her using the naturalization certificate first. Then use the passport to do all the other changes. That should be the easiest. Other than that a marriage certificate might be helpful, but if it is a foreign marriage certificate this can get you into more bureaucratic delays.

Women in Anglo Saxon countries don't have any issue taking the husband name, and the only proof needed is the marriage certificate. This is my understanding.

My 2 cents.

Thanks Huracan, tomorrow we are going to visit SSA and apply for passport,
I will wait till we get the passport and new social security cards, then proceed further.

Finished oath today. Big relief and a great feeling. I reached 10 mins before the scheduled time of 3:00pm. There was a HUGE line in front of the theater. I parked in the parking lot next to the jogging track. It took maybe 15-20 mins to get inside. First one officer took the letter and green card and asked me to sit down next to the previous guy.

Then there were voter registration information in 5 languages (incl English). I think it was little bit boring. After that there was a video on how to fill out the voter registration form. Then came the IO (same IO who took my interview). He started the naturalization proceedings. First everyone stood when their country names were announced. There were people from 58 countries. Most people were from India,Mexico, Vietnam, PRC and Philippines. One lady sang the "Star Spangled Banner" and then we took the oath and then the pledge.

They distributed the Naturalization Certificates in order. There were some glitches in the order, but in general they were ordered correctly. Then I went outside and the parking lot was a mess! I could not stand the mad rush towards the exist so I sat in the car for 15-20 mins. I was out after 30 mins from the time I came out. That parking lot is BAD.

Still not over though, waiting for my wife's oath letter. Then passport etc. It goes on...

For both me and spouse -- Interview on May 16th 2008
Received interview letter 3/17/2008
FP done 1/15/08 -- for both
RD 12/10/07
ND 12/10/07
mailed application 11/30/07

Congratulations TableSpoon22, in my case I expected the mad rush after the ceremony, so I took the chance to relax, take some pictures, get some ice cream for my kid. By the time we were done, there was no traffic to get out ;)

Congratulations tt_tt, I guess your post was to give an update for interview. I haven't followed interview scheduling lately. If they are doing May interview for November application in San Jose, that should be pretty good news. That would be actually awesome, as I applied around end of November 2006, and didn't get my interview until mid July 2007. Am I missing anything? This would make it faster, despite the frontlog glut. I am still scratching my head ;)

Update on Interview today

Hello:

Please follow my signature for my dates.

Interview went as a breeze and my husband and I arrived 10 minutes before the scheduled time at 8:30am, went through the security and security officer made a commend that we brighten his day because my husband and I were joking about he always beeps when going through any kind of security. We all had a good laugh. The security line was great and apparently the info pass wasn't open today because none of the booth was open. The only place that's open today are for appointments to interviews on second floor. We went up stair and placed interview letter on Window 1. Appointment was at 8:40 and got called 5 minutes before 9am. Officer Dean was polite and sworn me in to tell the truth. She went through the application with just a few questions not the entire application and before the process I pointed out that i made mistakes on two places and she made corrections and asked me to sign for corrections with FULL signature in cursive. Then, she asked if i am willing to support US constitution and asked me to sign the oath of allegiance in cursive and handed me two photos that i had submitted to sign too. She also asked me to write down " TODAY IS A SUNNY DAY" and started on the Civic questions. The whole process was probably less than 10 minutes and she mentioned about a book she just read that interested me and we started having a conversation about it. My husband timed me and I was out in 15 minutes. The unusual thing is that she asked for something in our joint name since this is a marriage based application and we do not have children of our own. She even asked about where was my husband today and she was pleased to know that he was there with me. She even asked what our plan was for the day and my job as a nanny. My husband thinks she wasn't just chatting with me because she was interested but because this is part of the interview to gather information about me.

The questions that i was asked are listed below and she stopped at 5 when i answered them all right. It was given verbally.
1. Who is the commender in chief of the US military today? The President
2. How many Supreme Court justices are in the supreme court? 9
3. How many branches are in US government? 3
4. Who elects Congress? citizens of US
5. The most important right granted by us citizenship? the right to vote

She handed me a piece of paper checked off i passed the test and that the application is recommended for approval.
She also mentioned that the Oath notice could take anywhere from 1-4 months.

Does anyone know if the selective service letter is needed -- I was on H1B all the time during the ages of 23 - 28 after which I got the green card -- so ideally I dont need it -- should I get the letter of status from SSS just in case anyway ?

They distributed the Naturalization Certificates in order. There were some glitches in the order, but in general they were ordered correctly.

Congrats TblSpoon22! When you say that they distributed the Nat. Cert. in order, do they call out your name and then you walk to a podium to receive it or do they hand it to you at your seat?

For both me and spouse -- Interview on May 16th 2008
Received interview letter 3/17/2008
FP done 1/15/08 -- for both
RD 12/10/07
ND 12/10/07
mailed application 11/30/07

I believe tt_tt is from Oakland/SF DO. SJ is scheduling interviews for late July applicants. SF DO was taking 5 months to complete the entire process last year, now it looks more like 6months.

Does anyone know if the selective service letter is needed -- I was on H1B all the time during the ages of 23 - 28 after which I got the green card -- so ideally I dont need it -- should I get the letter of status from SSS just in case anyway ?

I would suggest you take the letter. Based on several responses from this forum, I applied one for my husband. All you need to send is proof of your H1B and a cover letter

Congrats TblSpoon22! When you say that they distributed the Nat. Cert. in order, do they call out your name and then you walk to a podium to receive it or do they hand it to you at your seat?

I am not TblSpoon22, not even Teaspoon00 ;) but I think I am qualified to answer this question. At the end of the ceremony people start standing up and leaving row by row, while you walk out of your row they give you the certificate which are in order according to seating. They have previously ordered things when they took the Green Card before seating. So, unfortunately, not like a graduation ceremony where you walk to the podium to receive your diploma.

I hope this answers your question.

I believe tt_tt is from Oakland/SF DO. SJ is scheduling interviews for late July applicants. SF DO was taking 5 months to complete the entire process last year, now it looks more like 6months.

Gracias Amigo :)

Yes, I did a quick search yesterday and found out tt_tt belongs to the San Francisco office. Somewhat it didn't make any sense it was San Jose, that shows that San Francisco is indeed quicker than San Jose.

I am not TblSpoon22, not even Teaspoon00 ;) but I think I am qualified to answer this question. At the end of the ceremony people start standing up and leaving row by row, while you walk out of your row they give you the certificate which are in order according to seating. They have previously ordered things when they took the Green Card before seating. So, unfortunately, not like a graduation ceremony where you walk to the podium to receive your diploma.

I hope this answers your question.

Thanks for this info, Huracan. So, looks like it is not only important to sit in the specified seat/row but to also leave it in the right order.