• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Registration Form questions

Hi All,

What a great forum! I am from the Netherlands and my boyfriend and I will be applying for the DV lottery 2017. I have a few questions concerning the registration:

1. My boyfriend and I are currently not married. We understood that if we do get married before the registration period (October this year) and we both register for the lottery, that if one of us gets selected to proceed in May, we both get recognized for this and can proceed the process of applying for a greencard together. Is that correct?
    I noted from a youtube video done by the DV lottery that it is possible to marry subsequent to the registration period. And so if one of the partner wins, the other can also still come along with the applicatin of the greencard, but that 'they' would scrutinize this and ask a lot of questions as they will be wondering why you only got married once one partner got selected.
    Does anyone have any experience with this and/or can anyone give any advice on what the most sensible this is to do (my boyfriend and I would definitely not mind getting married before October the registration period if really necessary, but would prefer to take our time and wait).

2. In the registration form, my boyfriend and I are still a little confused on what to put in question 5 & 6. My boyfriend was born in Caracas, Venuzuela. He currently lives in the Netherlands (has lived here for over 15 years), is a citizen here and owns a Dutch passport. He does not have a Venezuelan passport, he was only born there. Is he then suppose to fill out question 5 with "Venezuela" and question six check "Yes" and select "the Netherlands" as eligibility country (will he have more chance with selecting the Netherlands?). Or should he still select question 6 as "Venezuela" since Venezuela is eligible to apply vor the dv lottery? Sometimes I almost have a feeling that this is a trick question :p
For anyone who knows anything or can give any type of advice, we would be forever greatful :)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
1. If you and your boyfriend get married pre eDV registration, you basically double your chance of being selected and if one of you gets selected, the other automatically becomes a derivative.

Of course that is not to say you both can't still enter even if you're still single by October, it just means you can't list each other as a derivative, but should one of you get selected, then you get married after the selection and add the other as your derivative. Then you will need to be able to convince the CO at the time of your interview that your marriage is a genuine one.

2. Your boyfriend doesn't need to hold a Venezuelan passport. Eligibility is based on country of birth regardless of which other country's passport one holds in addition. So charging to Venezuela is the only option your boyfriend has.

Thanks so much for such a speedy reply!!

That's true about doubling our chances... I think that is really the way to go :) If we do decide to get married before the registration period and we put our names on each other's registration form, will we still have to prepare for a very extensive interview concerning our relationship? Just want to know (what were up for WHEN (staying positive) the time comes!!!! This is the first time we're applying, but I got a good feeling for some reasons.

Okay so for question 5 he will just put Venezuela and question 6 as Yes and select no country. Would you be able to explain what question 6 actually impies? My boyfriend and I were a little confused about that.

My boyfriend's parents live in Boca in Florida and we completely fell in love. We already knew it was our place to be, but I just came back from being there on vacation and I cant stop thinking about Florida. As a little kid I always dreamt of moving there ;) Grew up outside my home country and went to many american schools so I totally know the vibe and the people... feels like home! Fingers crossed!

The way you going on about questions 5 & 6 without actually posting the questions here isn't helping. Post precisely what questions 5 & 6 says for further guidance. It's too much of a hassle for me to start digging up the form and reading what it says.

Apologies... I assumed that the form was well known :).

Here is part of the form:
maxresdefault.jpg

This is unfortunately the only copy I could find of the form, unfortunately it is cut off but I hope you get an idea :)

****At the bottom it says "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?" If you check NO then you need to select a country underneath. So we thought in my boyfriend's case, since he was born in venezuela but has a citizen ship and passport in holland he should check NO and select the Netherlands as the country.

maxresdefault.jpg

This is unfortunately the only copy I could find of the form, unfortunately it is cut off but I hope you get an idea :)

****At the bottom it says "Are you claiming eligibility based on the country where you were born?" If you check NO then you need to select a country underneath. So we thought in my boyfriend's case, since he was born in venezuela but has a citizen ship and passport in holland he should check NO and select the Netherlands as the country.

Might i suggest that you read the entry instructions before the form. They make it clear that the answer to 6 is almost always the same as birth except for a couple of circumstances (choosing spouses country or in rare and specific circumstances parent birth country if birth country is not eligible).

All you are doing is confusing yourself by going on about passports and citizenship, it is all completely irrelevant to eligibility. Please look up a copy of the instructions and read them, chargeability is the most important aspect and therefore the very first instructions deal with those.

It is also says quite clearly below question 6 that it's not related to where you live so I really don't understand your confusion...

maxresdefault.jpg

Your county of eligibility is not related to where you live. If you were born in a country that is not eligible for DV program, than there are options. Venezuela will be eligible.

I'm very dissapointed to read the type of answers I am receiving back. What may be 100% clear to someone, may completely make no sense to others. This can be due to language barrier, being inexperienced, different pov, etc. But I see now that there are some people that are incapable of keeping this in mind and instead immediately decide those who are asking a polite and curious question a 'pedantic loser'.

I'm very sorry to have my first impression which was very positive) of this forum destroyed within minutes. I will look else where to get my questions answered.

I'm very dissapointed to read the type of answers I am receiving back. What may be 100% clear to someone, may completely make no sense to others. This can be due to language barrier, being inexperienced, different pov, etc. But I see now that there are some people that are incapable of keeping this in mind and instead immediately decide those who are asking a polite and curious question a 'pedantic loser'.

I'm very sorry to have my first impression which was very positive) of this forum destroyed within minutes. I will look else where to get my questions answered.

The instructions are available in a number of languages, not only English.However your English seems good enough to me to be able to understand what is written under the question??!?

Anyway PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Every year so many people get disqualified because they don't do that. You will not get all the answers you need by just looking at the entry from and then checking random questions on the net.

maxresdefault.jpg

Like I said before, eligibility has nothing to do with which passport one holds. It's based on country of birth.

The instructions are available in a number of languages, not only English.However your English seems good enough to me to be able to understand what is written under the question??!?

Anyway PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. Every year so many people get disqualified because they don't do that. You will not get all the answers you need by just looking at the entry from and then checking random questions on the net.

Who is saying that I am depending all my answers on the Entry Form and "the net"? I had a question REGARDING the entry form. And so what if someone has a question about something you think is so overwhelmingly obvious, what gives you the right to insult such a person with such a detrimental and downgrading tone? Shame on you. Isn't clarification what this forum is suppose to provide?

Anways, I appreciate SM1smom for helping me out. Thank you.

Who is saying that I am depending all my answers on the Entry Form and "the net"? I had a question REGARDING the entry form. And so what if someone has a question about something you think is so overwhelmingly obvious, what gives you the right to insult such a person with such a detrimental and downgrading tone? Shame on you. Isn't clarification what this forum is suppose to provide?

Anways, I appreciate SM1smom for helping me out. Thank you.

I'm sorry,I didn't realise that asking you to read the instructions was "detrimental and downgrading". Must be the language barrier.

Just a quick reality check. This is a lottery. The chances of winning are over 100 to 1. Everyone feels like they will be chose - but actually, millions apply (all of whom felt like they would win) and only a few succeed.

Now - if you re-read what responses you got you were told about eligibility being based on country of birth - and Susie quite correctly pointed out that is easily determined from reading the instructions or indeed clearly written on the screenshot you posted. So - by all means feel free to be offended, but you really have no reason to take offence....

So my input is:-
1. Read the instructions
2. Read the responses from people who are trying to help you (free of charge)
3. Don't get upset when people on the internet don't behave well in your opinion (especially when that opinion is derived from your own mistakes)
4. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
5. Don't book your tickets to activate your Green Card quite yet as you (most likely) won't win.

Just a quick reality check. This is a lottery. The chances of winning are over 100 to 1. Everyone feels like they will be chose - but actually, millions apply (all of whom felt like they would win) and only a few succeed.

Now - if you re-read what responses you got you were told about eligibility being based on country of birth - and Susie quite correctly pointed out that is easily determined from reading the instructions or indeed clearly written on the screenshot you posted. So - by all means feel free to be offended, but you really have no reason to take offence....

So my input is:-
1. Read the instructions
2. Read the responses from people who are trying to help you (free of charge)
3. Don't get upset when people on the internet don't behave well in your opinion (especially when that opinion is derived from your own mistakes)
4. READ THE INSTRUCTIONS
5. Don't book your tickets to activate your Green Card quite yet as you (most likely) won't win.

Thank you for your informative response. That you may feel the need to say that I have no reason to be offended by certain persons writing in a demeaning way or some insinuating that "instructions are for pedantic losers" is not your right to say. I have been offended, and I see plenty of reason to be offended by these remarks. It is not about their content (except for the "pedantic loser" comment), it is about their manner that offended me. I see you feel the need to take it up for your fellow mods, which is fine. I have just never felt so unwelcome on a forum as on this one. Shame. I'm ready for this topic to be removed.

Thank you for your informative response. That you may feel the need to say that I have no reason to be offended by certain persons writing in a demeaning way or some insinuating that "instructions are for pedantic losers" is not your right to say. I have been offended, and I see plenty of reason to be offended by these remarks. It is not about their content (except for the "pedantic loser" comment), it is about their manner that offended me. I see you feel the need to take it up for your fellow mods, which is fine. I have just never felt so unwelcome on a forum as on this one. Shame. I'm ready for this topic to be removed.

Good grief. Please re-read number 3. And re-read the other posts since if you HAD read them properly (like the instructions YOU didn't read) you would have realized the pedantic loser comment wasn't directed at you and all the other comments were fair enough.

Good luck with the entry. This topic will be waiting for you when you are selected next May.