Re-entry permit renewal

jinglebell1974

Hi friends,

My child's re-entry permit is expiring in the month of May 2023 and I am travelling to USA next weekend to re-apply for another re-entry permit. I have few questions. Can someone help?

1) I am on GC and I will be travelling with my re-entry permit. Do I need to carry all the old USCIS documents like I797 approval notices, I-140 approval, I-485 denial notice (it was denied once due to missing H1B status) and I-485 approval notices? Do I need to carry all dependent's passports and GCs?
2) I am working for an IT company in India and getting pay from the Indian company and I have paid taxes in India. I was not working for US employer and hence I don't have any W2. I came to know that all residents who are living abroad should file federal tax irrespective of whether they are working for an US employer or not. Can someone point me on any link or procedure to file my federal tax with IRS?

Regards.

I hope you do realize you cannot submit a re-entry permit application on behalf of your daughter if your daughter herself is not in the US with you? To answer your questions:
1. Just your GC and the re-entry permit.
2. Google IRS tax filing.

I am taking my daughter with me to the US. I know the applicant needs to be in USA when submitting the re-entry permit application and needs to stay in USA until the biometrics are done.

You need to file US Income tax return. Either take foreign income exclusion OR foreign tax credit for income you earned in India.

I am filling up the I-131 document to get a new re-entry permit for my daughter. The application type has 6 options and I am not sure which one to choose. Below are the options. Can someone help?

1.a) I am a permanent resident or conditional resident of the United States, and I am applying for a reentry permit.
1.b) I now hold U.S. refugee or asylee status, and I am applying for a Refugee Travel Document.
1.c) I am a permanent resident as a direct result of refugee or asylee status, and I am applying for a Refugee Travel Document.
1.d) I am applying for advance parole document to allow me to return to the united states after temporary foreign travel.
1.e) I am outside the United States, and I am applying for an Advance Parole Document.
1.f) I am applying for an Advance Parole Document for a person who is outside the United States.

Thanks in advance.

I am filling up the I-131 document to get a new re-entry permit for my daughter. The application type has 6 options and I am not sure which one to choose. Below are the options. Can someone help?

1.a) I am a permanent resident or conditional resident of the United States, and I am applying for a reentry permit.
1.b) I now hold U.S. refugee or asylee status, and I am applying for a Refugee Travel Document.
1.c) I am a permanent resident as a direct result of refugee or asylee status, and I am applying for a Refugee Travel Document.
1.d) I am applying for advance parole document to allow me to return to the united states after temporary foreign travel.
1.e) I am outside the United States, and I am applying for an Advance Parole Document.
1.f) I am applying for an Advance Parole Document for a person who is outside the United States.

Thanks in advance.
1a is the only option related to re-entry permit.

Thanks for your response. Then, what is the difference between re-entry permit and advance parole?
Advance parole is for people who do not have green cards, to be allowed to re-enter to the US without a visa (usually for people with pending I-485, but also for some other situations, like pending asylee, DACA, etc.). Re-entry Permit is only for people who have green cards.

Hi, I am preparing all the documents necessary for submitting the re-entry permit application for my daughter. I see that I need to enclose the copy of the green card with the application. I have the following questions. Can you please help?

1. Does the copy need to be a color-printed copy or a black-white copy of the GC is enough?
2. I am attaching copy of several documents as part of the application. Do they need to be self attested? My daughter is 14 and she doesn't have a signature of her own yet. Can she write her name if the documents need to be self attested? If not, can I sign instead of my daughter?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I am preparing all the documents necessary for submitting the re-entry permit application for my daughter. I see that I need to enclose the copy of the green card with the application. I have the following questions. Can you please help?

1. Does the copy need to be a color-printed copy or a black-white copy of the GC is enough?
2. I am attaching copy of several documents as part of the application. Do they need to be self attested? My daughter is 14 and she doesn't have a signature of her own yet. Can she write her name if the documents need to be self attested? If not, can I sign instead of my daughter?

Thanks in advance.
1. The document just needs to be clear and legible. Doesn’t matter whether it is colored or black and white.
2. No requirement for document attestation that I’m aware of. Parents can sign for children under 14. Children 14 and above are required to sign their forms. It's okay if your daughter has no "signature", she can basically handwrite her own name as her signature. Per USCIS Manual:
"A valid signature does not need to be legible or in English, and may be abbreviated as long as this is consistent with how the person signing normally signs his or her name. A valid signature does not have to be in cursive handwriting. A person may use an “X” or similar mark as his or her signature."

I am traveling today and have few more questions. Can you please help?

1. In the USCIS website, it was mentioned that the filing fee is $575 and the biometric fee is $85, which comes to a total of $660. I guess I can get one cashier check or money order for $660, correct? I don't need to get two cashier checks.
2. The cashier check or money order needs to be drawn in favor of "U.S. Department of Homeland Security". Is it correct?
3. The last para under the filing fee section has this statement "Please do not mail cash, personal checks or traveler’s checks. If you do not include a fee receipt with your filing, we will reject your application.". What does it mean? What if I have to pay by personal check?

Please clarify.

I'm surprised you're second guessing yourself this much considering this is not your first I-131 filing.

1. Yes, you can send a single money order, or personal check, or cashier’s check covering the filing and biometric fee for each form being submitted.
2. Follow the instructions provided by USCIS under the "How To Write Your Check" tab from the below link:

3. The paragraph you're asking about falls under the "If you file at a field office" section, which is not applicable to you.

I am traveling today and have few more questions. Can you please help?
Do you mean you're leaving the US today (after mailing in your application)? If yes, you might want to go through the below link for conversations around Re-Entry Permit - reports of folks whose applications got denied because they left the US as soon as they filed for re-entry permit without waiting for their applications to get delivered to the Lockbox.

Yes, and sorry. Even though this is my second time application, it has been two years and I forgot most of the granular details and just want to be sure before mailing the application. I landed in USA yesterday and I could not mail the documents today as today is an holiday. I am planning to mail all the documents tomorrow and I plan to stay in the United States until the biometrics are done for my daughter.

Hi, I am in USA now and I got the biometric appointment notice for my daughter in the next two weeks. Once the biometrics are over, I can move back to my home country, right? Any odd possibilities that I need to stay for few more days?

One more question. I and my family moved back to our home country in July 2021. My and my wife's re-entry permit are expiring in April 2024. I was thinking of coming back to US in December or January 2023 to re-apply for ours. However, if we do that, then we would have spent more than 2 years outside of USA. Will that be a problem? When I entered at the POE this time with my daughter, the CBP officer asked about the number of months we stayed outside of US.