Oct 2009 filers, post here.

I had my interview today, approved. But I had to wait for consolidation, because I filed my I485 twice (it was withdrawn the first time because filed too early). The interview lady said they are short on staff so the consolidation could take a while, but other than that I am approved. My lawyer told me just wait for the welcome letter. She said it because of consolidation process it could still take 2 to 6 weeks before my GC arrives, but she sounded cheerful. Anyway, I am seeing lights at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck for all my brothers and sisters who are still going through the interview process. I will update once my GC arrives.

I see you went through Baltimore. My DO is Baltimore, so I hope my case is as fast as yours.

I had my interview today, approved. But I had to wait for consolidation, because I filed my I485 twice (it was withdrawn the first time because filed too early). The interview lady said they are short on staff so the consolidation could take a while, but other than that I am approved. My lawyer told me just wait for the welcome letter. She said it because of consolidation process it could still take 2 to 6 weeks before my GC arrives, but she sounded cheerful. Anyway, I am seeing lights at the end of the tunnel. Best of luck for all my brothers and sisters who are still going through the interview process. I will update once my GC arrives.

Congrats.
I filed based on FB1 as you did.
What kind of questions did the interviewer ask you?
I cannot find the information anywhere.
Thank you in advance for your help.

The questions are very simple, she just went through name, address, latest arrival date in US, then the questions listed on I485 (do you belong to any terrorist organization, have you committed genecide, have you been arrested, etc.. ). She asked for my I-130 application, which was new for me. During my first interview (I interviewed twice, the first time I submitted my I485 application early, so I had to withdraw my case during the interview), she also asked my I-20s and took all my I94s. I think that's about all.

Good luck to you all.

The questions are very simple, she just went through name, address, latest arrival date in US, then the questions listed on I485 (do you belong to any terrorist organization, have you committed genecide, have you been arrested, etc.. ). She asked for my I-130 application, which was new for me. During my first interview (I interviewed twice, the first time I submitted my I485 application early, so I had to withdraw my case during the interview), she also asked my I-20s and took all my I94s. I think that's about all.

Good luck to you all.

I appreciate your info.
Did you get the EAD before the interview? It seems that some people get the EAD approval within two weeks after the FP, but some do not get it at all before the interview.
Did you bring all the original document? You only submitted the I-20s and I-94s?
Did you get the stamp on your passport?

Thanks.

Thanks DreamCatcher74 & monsoonbreeze79

csiq congratulations!!

dongseokji my husband also was F1 we took the originals I-20's but the IO never ask for them, of corse she ask for the I-94 and keep it.
She did ask him about school, general questions like, what did he studied (major), and if he was attending school still.

Documents for the interview and final preparations

Congrats to monsoonbreeze79 , csiq , tonylt for getting approved .:D:D:D . And goodluck to other folks who have interviews coming up .

Guys , my interview is next week , Jan 20 . We are just keeping our fingers crossed and collecting last minute documents . Any possible documents which they might ask in the interview including school transcripts and offer letter of admission from school .

For those of you who have gone through the final interview , please tell which documents in the interview they ask and make copies . I was thinking of making copies beforehand and bringing it to interview .

Documents which lawyer asked us to bring in Interview

1. Interview Notice
2. Forms of Identification:
a. Passports- USC and Beneficiary (with I-94 Entry Document)
b. Wisconsin ID’s ( USC and Benef'ciary)
3. Work Authorization/EAD (with copy of front/back)
a. EAD issued with OPT
4. Travel Authorization (with copy)
5. F-1 materials/I-20s
a. Proof of completion/Admission to all schools
b. Diploma from University
6. Original Birth Certificates- USC and B
7. Photo album- from prior to wedding through the holidays 2009
8. Updated- Bring originals and one copy of each…
a. Evidence of joint finances
i. Bank account statements
- updated statements for October, November, December, January
-
b. Utility statements
i. Electric bill - Issued to Beneficiary at shared address: Oct-January
c. Other: cell phone bills, Cable bill- issued to Beneficiary at shared address; cell phone bill- issued to Petitioner at shared address: Oct- January
9. Employment status
a. Letter from work for USC, 3 current pay-stubs
b. Letter from work for Beneficiary , current pay-stubs
10. Affidavits from Parents and sister of USC
11. Wedding Scrapbook which my wife started it :)

Our case moved pretty fast , hopefully its a good sign that application was all good . We initially submitted lot of documents while filing application even like cake receipts , tuxedo rental receipts :rolleyes:

Good luck. You have more than enough evidence! Just keep things organized (with originals and copies) so that you dont get lost in the mountain of evidence :)

GC Interview

I had a very weird interview experience. We went for our interview on time and were called in on time. The IO asked us questions from the application and basic documents like marriage cert, photos, lease, mortagage papers, etc.

We answered everything that he asked. In the end the officer said that we will hear from them in 6-8 weeks.......... What does that mean He did not say whether it was approved or not and did not put any info on the cmputer.... I have no idea what has happened....

navsam7 , Sorry to hear your story . Hopefully you will get a email from USCIS about yur I-485 approval . Which DO office did you go to . Some offices dont approve on the spot i heard .

tonylt and cisq
Congratulations!!!

Navsam7,
Im sorry to hear what happened. I know someone who had a similar response but it worked out well in the end. And they were from Baltimore, too. It seems they like to take their time with making their decisions. Hang in there.

dongseokji
I was on F1, too. I took my I-20 as well as I-94. They only took out the I-94 from the passport. IO asked only if I was in school and said no, and it ended there.
Regarding EAD's I cant really comment as I still dont understand why are there huge differences between applicants. Guess it is USCIS dependent.
As for the stamping most IO's dont like doing it unless if you request it during the IV and have proof that you are travelling soon. Another option, If you do need to travel after your IV approval and havent received your GC you can ask for an INFOPASS and they can give you a stamp or a temp. document which allows you to reenter the country and you get it immediately.

midwestalien
You are good to go. You are more prepared than we were and I didnt have to give any other supporting document. My advice, keep your cool and enjoy the experience. Dont make any photocopies as you dont know what they will ask for. Best of luck.

I have received 2 emails so far regarding the production of the GC. Hope it will sooner than the EAD.
Wish you all a great weekend and all the best to our members with upcoming IV's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Received GC atlast

I received my Green Card in the mail today. USCIS are getting more efficient!!! I hope they will continue to do so in future , too.

---------------------------
10/13/2009-day 1- Package sent to Chicago (I-130, I-485, I-864, I-765) by Express USPS.
10/14/2009-day 2- Documents received.
10/22/2009-day 10- Cheques cashed.
10/24/2009-day 12-Receipt Notice for I-130, I-485 and I-765 dated 10/14
10/31/2009-day 19-Biometrics notice rcv,(11/18/09)
11/03/2009-day 22-Walk in FP done.
12/04/2009-day 53-EAD updates via email.(Also 9th,12th)
12/16/2009-day 65- Received EAD
01/07/2010-day 85- Interview Verbal GC Approved
01/07/2010-IV-GC approved and card production email - day 86
01/08/2010-Welcome letter
01/12/2010- 2nd Green card production email
01/15/2010- 3rd email since GC AP- I485 NOA AP... GC finally on the way?
01/16/2010- Received GC.- day 95

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats, Monsoonbreeze79!
Thank you very much for your kind reply on an earlier inquiry regarding the interview.
I received the initial interview letter this weekend and can't wait until this process is over.
As per your response, I would not need to get the stamp on the passport because I do not have any plan to travel outside of the U.S. soon.

Hi Guys,
Just got back from the Interview. It went very smoothly. The IO did not ask too many questions, except for some evidence to put in the file.

I took the following stack of evidence. It might help somebody who is preparing for the interview.

1. Interview Letter, Passports, SSN cards, EAD, AP and Wife's Naturalization Cert.
2. Marriage Cert.
3. Birth Certificates and Affidavits ( My birth was registered recently, so I sent 3 affidavits from my family along with the application)
4. All my H1B related I-797 and I-20's from my masters
5. W2 (mine and wife), Tax Transcripts
6. I also took 1040 from the time I filed (I took these just in case, since the transcripts I got from IRS through the fax weren't legible)
7. Employment Verification Letter (Mine and Wife's) and 6 months of the Paystubs for both of us
8. Lease
9. Utility Bills and Verizon Cell phone bills
10. Joint Bank Statements (6 months)
11. Joint Car title that we bought after the marriage, Life Insurance letter from Employer, Health Insurance, Dental and Vision Insurance cards and Letters from the Providers
12. My 401K statement showing wife as beneficiary and Wife's 403B statement showing me as Beneficiary
13. 50 pics randomly picked from Before marriage, During marriage and Reception and our recent honeymoon trips
14. Joint Credit card statements and Actual credit cards
15. Bank Checkbooks
16. Randomly picked emails showing communication between and me and wife's since 2004
17. Boarding Passes of trips we took (Marriage trip to India and Recent honeymoon to Hawaii)
18.Birth day Greeting cards my wife sent me over the years
19. Wedding cards ( From my family and Wife's family)
20. Receipt of Diamond I bought for wife
21. Complete Wedding and Reception albums (These are huge albums and heavy)

Also the important thing is take the copies of every original document you wish to bring back

I know the above documentation is overkill, but I want to err on the side of caution, rather than be surprised by the IO.

Our interview was at 9.30, we got there around 8.45AM. We checked inside and sent to 2nd floor. We got called in around 9.40AM. The IO is Asian descent in the middle age. He was cordial and didn't look too stern. He asked for our Identification, so we gave him Passports and Drivers licenses. He just confirmed the address and asked me If I was living in Virginia before and if I had changed the job. I said No and explained to him that I telework from here for 2 weeks in a month and go to Washington DC every other Monday morning and come back on Friday. He was like, why is that, then we mentioned to him that Wife is a resident doctor in Duke univ and she got the job in July and since then I was doing. He was satisfied with that and didnt grill on us anymore.

Then he asked me for if we have any evidence showing joint life, so I started giving him above evidence one by one. After I gave him few documents, he was like its enough and complimented me saying, I am very well prepared :). Then he explained about applying to remove conditions after 2 years.

Then he asked, if I brought the EAD and I gave it to him. He was like since you are H1B you dont need this at all. Then I asked him, if I can give me the Stamp on the passport, he said I dont think you would need and you will get the physical card in several weeks. Then I asked him again, saying that since you are also taking EAD and I have no proof if I get a job offer before I get the physical card. He said, if you get into that situation come here to the office and make an Infopass and they will give the stamp on the passport. I said thank you and kept quiet.

Then before leaving, he mentioned, since you are asking for this, I will give you a letter of approval, so you can show it to someone incase you need it. Well, he did give me a print out from the computer, welcoming me to United states and saying I will receive my card in 90 days. I am guessing its the same one as the Welcome letter we get from USCIS

I just got an update on my 485, saying card production ordered

Well guys, that's my story and good luck on yours

Congrats!
Like I mentioned before, you had more than enough evidence and anything extra was not going to strengthen your case any more. I guess you learn that only after your interview :) These days USCIS is fairly quick with the card processing. You should get it within 10-12 days.

Thanks Tom. I almost all the time over prepare for any of the Immigration interviews. Same thing with my H1B visa stamping recently. IO at that did not ask me even one single question. But I guess you never know how it turns out to be, so its better to take as much as proof as we can.

AOS Interview went good but no decision given

Hi folks ,

We had our AOS interview today. I will post a detailed experience later . Our lawyer had already told us that Milwaukee , DO office doesn't approve the application on the spot . They generally send a mail later about the decision .Our interview was at 10am and we reached there by 9.30am . We waited till 10.30 to be called in for the interview and we were out by 10.45ainm. There were not many ppl there waiting , like maybe 4-5 couples

So i guess , knowing this fact we didn't expect the decision right away . Apart from that it was pretty good . The officer asked us lot of questions like

How did you guys meet
Where do we work and how long have we been working
Pictures of the moments together we have spent , wedding scrap book
If i have completed my school ( i came on student visa )

Yes /NO questions like drugs /terrorist activity .
How many ppl attended our reception
If our parents approved of the wedding
She asked for evidences and our lawyer gave her Bank statements ( joint ) ones , utility bills , greeting cards , wedding invitations
She also asked if we still had the assets for affidavit of support which we indicated at the time of submitting the application . At that point the lawyer showed her the proof for that
We were also asked for our cellphone numbers , i was kinda surprised by that though
We felt like the officer was looking at our file for the 1st time . But neways after going through the evidences and talking to us she looked satisfied . My wife even made her laugh /giggle when they saw the Halloween pics . The officer seemed very genuine and she was looking for facts /evidences .

The officer in the end said that she has all everything which she needs from us and we can expect to hear from them within 8 weeks . That was it . When we were leaving , our lawyer said that that the interview went well and we just have to wait to hear from them .

So in the end we are waiting for the results . I hope everything works out . I am happy that finally its over it . I was not able to sleep well last night , kept waking up

GC production ordered ( email from USCIS )

Just received a email from USCIS mentioning card production ordered . I guess i am approved now :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Current Status: Card production ordered.

Good-luck to all you guys who have Interviews coming up and thank you to all the forum members and especially October filers :eek:

Wow...lots of good result postings.
My parents also passed the interview today.
It was very smooth and the IO was very nice.
I just see the online status says that the card production was ordered.
I got so much help from this forum.

Good luck to everybody who's still waiting.

Guys,

Does anyone of you know if I need to have a Passport with atleast 6 months of expiry for my Green Card interview. Unfortunately mine expires this June and my int is in Feb? Any thoughts would be helpful.