OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Thanks, this information helps. My application was acknowledged on 10/29 and the photo was scanned on 11/2. But there is no movement after that. I have to go to India during Dec 3rd week. I think I need to go to VISA route as well.

Do you know how long it takes to get the VISA without paying the urgent fee? My plan was to check OCI progress until first week of December.

Their Definition of Urgent Visa is to ask for VISA either as same day processing or out of their window service hours.. I applied for 6 months Entry VISA and paid USD 134 (100 for VIsa + 13 processing fee + 21 mailing changes) .. Hopefully will be receiving in a day or two as i applied on Friday and their normal processing time is 5 - 6 business days...may get it earlier

Their Definition of Urgent Visa is to ask for VISA either as same day processing or out of their window service hours.. I applied for 6 months Entry VISA and paid USD 134 (100 for VIsa + 13 processing fee + 21 mailing changes) .. Hopefully will be receiving in a day or two as i applied on Friday and their normal processing time is 5 - 6 business days...may get it earlier

Shabbu 77, Your OCI is in advanced stage of processing. Why did you apply for Entry visa ?/ Are you not confident that you will get your OCI before December????

Shabbu 77, Your OCI is in advanced stage of processing. Why did you apply for Entry visa ?/ Are you not confident that you will get your OCI before December????

I confirmed my travel arrangements back in October thinking i would get my OCI by
December ..I may get the approval by early December but i dont think i would have enough time to send the passport for stamping and have it back in time for my travel..

looking at the timing and the processing delays i did not want to take any chances...

Regards,

Hey guys! what does Photo/Signature Scanned means ?
Does that mean that there are no issues with photo and signature?
If so is the next state Registration status granted? How long does that normally take?

Thanks,

alren, Yes, thats what I assume if they say Photo and Signatures are scanned means they unfortunately could not find any excuse to send your documents back, which is good for you:)
When my OCI was done I had all the steps done in 17 days, but now things are different in DC and they are just too slow and unpredictable as always.

In addition to Sam's feedback, there are times when the going gets a little boring, they tend to introduce some "Unexpected Twists and Turns to the Plot":(
There should be some impact from our Bolly/Kolly/Tolly-Wood scripts, right...?

Mine was scanned for a few days :):) and then to provide the "Cinematic Twist":mad::confused:..... it got upgraded to "Rejected" :(:(

A glimpse of my adventure is here...
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212599-OCI-Washington-DC-Tracker&p=2215315#post2215315

Based on many other user's experience, it (Rejection) appears to be an exception than the norm....

Don't worry.... It should be a smooth sail.... and best wishes..

Cheers!!!

sam, Thankx! I guess your kids and ours are running together.

gc4us, I had read about your exp., so was concerned about the same.

Does anyone know what is the avg. time frame from to the next stage?

Thankx

I have few questions and hopefully this is right thread to ask (in DC Context)

I have all my papers ready and just about to mail it in. But getting cold feet since I really do want to travel to India in Feb (no matter what), so considering the processing times and since I have the old indian pp in hand is it a good idea to get a 6 month visa for travel to India in hand first and apply for OCI. What do you think?

Other questions
1. Is there a checklist for DC embassy? (if not I will make one :) )
2. Exactly how many photos are required? I believe it is 2" x 2"
3. If I go about getting the India visa first, will my indian passport be cancelled during the process and do I end up with SC in hand?
4. How long does it take to get a entry visa? I live in DC burbs, dont mind a hike 2 downtown.

Appreciate your replies!

Last edited by a moderator:
Check in blue:

I have few questions and hopefully this is right thread to ask (in DC Context)

I have all my papers ready and just about to mail it in. But getting cold feet since I really do want to travel to India in Feb (no matter what), so considering the processing times and since I have the old indian pp in hand is it a good idea to get a 6 month visa for travel to India in hand first and apply for OCI. What do you think? -->> I think it depends on how much risk you want to take, currently its not advisable to rely on OCI process to complete in 3 months, so if you do want to go in FEB than recommendation is to get the VISA and apply for OCI side by side.

Other questions
1. Is there a checklist for DC embassy? (if not I will make one :) ) ->> Search this thread you will find it.
2. Exactly how many photos are required? I believe it is 2" x 2" -->> Send 5, US Passport Size photos with WHITE backgrounds are accepted.
3. If I go about getting the India visa first, will my indian passport be cancelled during the process and do I end up with SC in hand? -->> That is possible I believe.
4. How long does it take to get a entry visa? I live in DC burbs, dont mind a hike 2 downtown. -->> Going personally should be definitely be faster, if not same day, within 2-3 day you should get it.

Appreciate your replies!

Any Updates?

Kakku, Fedup, VM and others in our group

Did u get you US passports back with OCI stamps?

Guys,

I applied for my OCI and SC together in sept 17/2010 and
Date Of Acknowledgment
10-NOV-2010
Application Status
Registration Status
UnderProcess
but today i received my SC and Indian PP through UPSis this normal? and my wife's status is like this Date Of Acknowledgment
22-OCT-2010
Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On
11-NOV-2010
Registration Status
UnderProcess

We 3 (2 adult and 1 minor kid) plan to file file for OCI and SC at Washinghton DC:

Can some one please confirm:

OCI filing fee :
$275 * 3 + $20*1 in 1 check or 2 checks( 1 for fee 1 for mail)
or
$275 * 3 + $20*3 ? 1 check or 2 checks( 1 for fee 1 for mail)

SC fee :
$175 * 3 + $20 *1 ?
or
$175 * 3 + $20 *3?

also , should I get both the copy of SC application notorized? I am applying at Washinghton DC.

One more question:
Online application: Passport Issue Place*: USA? or Dept of State.

The more I am reading the instructions, more I am getting confused.

Do we have checklist thread for Washinghton DC OCI?

Please give me some directions.
thanks

Quick Update : As of Today

OCI application Received on 09/01/10
Acknowledged 10/07/10
Scanned 10/22/10
Granted 11/18/10...

Acknowledged 10/07/10
Scanned 10/22/10
Granted 11/18/10...
Congrats, You are almost done. I hope that whole process will be done in 3 months for you.

thanks for sharing.

sam, Thankx! I guess your kids and ours are running together.

gc4us, I had read about your exp., so was concerned about the same.

Does anyone know what is the avg. time frame from to the next stage?

Thankx
Granted 11/20.

gc4us, hope there is no twist after "Granted" LOL :rolleyes:

Acknowledged 10/07/10
Scanned 10/22/10
Granted 11/18/10...

My status also changed to Granted today. I think our applications are moving together.
Acknowledged 10/29/10
Scanned 11/02/10
Granted 11/19/10

shabbu, OCIForum,

Seems our got "granted" in the same time frame. Now to wait for printing and sending to DC. Hope they are not celebrating Thanksgiving in Delhi! LOL