OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I did mention a request for SC and ref my Indian Passport #'s, but I also messed up in my hurry, as in I did not include my wife's Acknowledgment # in the cover letter and outside of envelope (just included mine).

Did you tell your wife?

Well everything is a guess game, as long as you included her passport, I believe they will find her. Cover letter is a formality not a requirement

VM1214,
Your reply is contrary to the specification for photograph given in a link to on line oci registration. It says " The background should be plain light colored background" . In some consulates they do not accept white background photos. Since your application is approved did you submit white background photo please confirm.

How to track postal money order

Hi, I sent money orders bought at the Post office for my OCI application and renunciation application. How do i track if the postal money orders have been cashed? Also, whenever I check the Embassy website with my reference #, I get a message that my application has not been acknowledged. So, Im kinda confused on how one knows the status :confused::confused:

Hi, I sent money orders bought at the Post office for my OCI application and renunciation application. How do i track if the postal money orders have been cashed? Also, whenever I check the Embassy website with my reference #, I get a message that my application has not been acknowledged. So, Im kinda confused on how one knows the status :confused::confused:

no need to be confused. Please read Embassy website info on OCI. They say it will take 8weeks to acknowledge and 3 months to get OCI. They are also too slow in cashing pay order/money orders. Incidentally their financial year ends in 31March, where is the hurry.

By the time your turn comes in early Jan the holiday rush would be over and would be a smooth ride. Do not expect any progress till new year. meditate and be in peace. there is nothing in your hand. wah guru

Last edited by a moderator:
VM1214,
Your reply is contrary to the specification for photograph given in a link to on line oci registration. It says " The background should be plain light colored background" . In some consulates they do not accept white background photos. Since your application is approved did you submit white background photo please confirm.

I had sent my photos with the white background, got approved, have OCI in hand.
I have sent my wife and kids photos with the white backgrounds and applications have been accepted ...

VM1214,

Thanks SAM for replying the question. Yes, Madh4, I have submitted two of my family members in white background and two on offwhite and all have been approved.

After 9 weeks of waiting, finally my application has been acknowledged.

This forum has been of immense help to me and I want to thank every one.

Srini

Kakku, VM, Sam, Fedup and others in our group

My passport finally reached the embassy yesterday after a royal screwup by USPS Express Mail. Hoping to get the OCI in 2-3 weeks. Let us see how long this step takes.

I am new in this forum. My oci application was received on 09/10 and ackwnoledged 11/02. I have to go to India on December 20th. I don't think they are going to process my paperwork as expected. Can anyone suggest what can be done to speed up the oci, besides getting visa? My whole family's paperwork is in their hands. Any suggestions? Please let me know...

My OCI application sent on 09/01/2010 was acknowledged on 10/07/2010 and has been in sacnned status since 10/22/2010. Sent the Renunciation / SC application along with OCI enclosing additional $20 money order thinking it will be sent as soon as done. Made my travel arrangements to travel in December. Never received the canceled passport.

What happened at DC on Friday 12/12/2010 : at 12:30 PM went to the Indian Embassy (not the basement office but on the first floor) and explained the situation..first i was told that it will be sent together along with OCI .. i mentioned about the additional $20 MO in the application anyways ...in less than 10 minutes they looked for my application and found my passport which was marked canceled on 10/18/2010 but was never sent.. After i collected the RC and canceled passport drove to TRAVISA which accepts applications from 2:00 - 4:00 and submitted the US passport for 6 months Entry VISA..Hopefully in 2 - 3 days i should get it stamped and done with it for now until OCI is approved..

You may need to follow the same routine to get the VISA and dont wait for them to send you the RC / Canceled Passport..go get it ..

Regards..

My OCI application sent on 09/01/2010 was acknowledged on 10/07/2010 and has been in sacnned status since 10/22/2010. Sent the Renunciation / SC application along with OCI enclosing additional $20 money order thinking it will be sent as soon as done. Made my travel arrangements to travel in December. Never received the canceled passport.

What happened at DC on Friday 12/12/2010 : at 12:30 PM went to the Indian Embassy (not the basement office but on the first floor) and explained the situation..first i was told that it will be sent together along with OCI .. i mentioned about the additional $20 MO in the application anyways ...in less than 10 minutes they looked for my application and found my passport which was marked canceled on 10/18/2010 but was never sent.. After i collected the RC and canceled passport drove to TRAVISA which accepts applications from 2:00 - 4:00 and submitted the US passport for 6 months Entry VISA..Hopefully in 2 - 3 days i should get it stamped and done with it for now until OCI is approved..

You may need to follow the same routine to get the VISA and dont wait for them to send you the RC / Canceled Passport..go get it ..

Regards..

Shabbu 77,
If your OCI is granted on 10/22/10 where is the further hold up. I assume you should definitely get OCI for travel in Dec. Why is the hurry to get Entry Visa. Any personal reasons like out of station etc ??// Did you check about your OCI during your visit ??

Shabbu 77,
If your OCI is granted on 10/22/10 where is the further hold up. I assume you should definitely get OCI for travel in Dec. Why is the hurry to get Entry Visa. Any personal reasons like out of station etc ??// Did you check about your OCI during your visit ??

Its my Old India Passport that has been canceled as of 10/18/2010 but was not sent ..OCI is still under process and the latest status is scanned since 10/22/2010...

Does anyone advice me if I need to notarize the Surrender Application form at Washington DC ?
This is what is written on the Washington DC website. "If application is sent by post the signature should be notarized and an additional fee of USD 20/-"

Does anyone advice me if I need to notarize the Surrender Application form at Washington DC ?
This is what is written on the Washington DC website. "If application is sent by post the signature should be notarized and an additional fee of USD 20/-"

With all the confusion going on around Notary or self attest, I recommend you to notarize all the copies that you send to embassy, it is free if you get it done at your bank or if you have AAA membership they do it for free too. Do NOT take chance with these morons.

Regards..

Thanks, this information helps. My application was acknowledged on 10/29 and the photo was scanned on 11/2. But there is no movement after that. I have to go to India during Dec 3rd week. I think I need to go to VISA route as well.

Do you know how long it takes to get the VISA without paying the urgent fee? My plan was to check OCI progress until first week of December.

Both of my kids apps are scanned today:

10/06/2010: OCI Docs 2 DC
10/07/2010: RECD at DC
11/03/2010: Ack'ed
11/15/2010: Scanned

Hey guys! what does Photo/Signature Scanned means ?
Does that mean that there are no issues with photo and signature?
If so is the next state Registration status granted? How long does that normally take?

Thanks,

OCIFOrum user :
I'm sure there was no activities because of Diwali.

Then they will clear the backlog created during diwali ... ;)

Hey guys! what does Photo/Signature Scanned means ?
Does that mean that there are no issues with photo and signature?
If so is the next state Registration status granted? How long does that normally take?

Thanks,

alren, Yes, thats what I assume if they say Photo and Signatures are scanned means they unfortunately could not find any excuse to send your documents back, which is good for you:)
When my OCI was done I had all the steps done in 17 days, but now things are different in DC and they are just too slow and unpredictable as always.