OCI - Washington DC Tracker

gc4us, Thanks buddy.

vm1214, system is not built to help people (customers), its made to give us pain/grief everyday until we are out of the process.

Thanks Sam.

Wishing your family good luck with the remaining phases of the paperwork. It will be very productive to focus our energy on other aspects if there is less stress when dealing with the consulate(s).....

If the proceses were streamlined and status updates were automated, it will save everyone a lot of grief..... But, it is not a Private Sector Entity that we are talking about..... 800 pound gorilla...... or the proverbial elephant moving slowly....

Good luck to all.

One of the reps from Travisa told me that there are talks of OCI getting outsourced to them. I hope it works out soon so that nobody in this world would have to go through the trouble that we have been through :)

My app was acknowledged on Sept 23. My photo/signature hasn't been scanned yet.(its been 10 days). Can someone elaborate on this step. I don't see a seperate field for "photo/Signature scanned" step of the process that some of you have mentioned in your dateline. Any help will be appreciated greatly!

My app was acknowledged on Sept 23. My photo/signature hasn't been scanned yet.(its been 10 days). Can someone elaborate on this step.

In the Application status section below the "Date of Acknowledgement" You see the "Registration Status" as of today in your case, but when your "photo/signature" gets scanned there will be anothe row in between the "Aplication status" and "Registration status" called "Photo/Signature" and it will show as scanned.

The handling of the case is so inconsitent, that every one has something to grudge about. Lets keep hope and patience it will work out like others. Dont' get nervous.

Sent it in 2 separate packets

That's what I thought, you may have to follow up with the renunciation dept for the cancelled passport, even though they are in the same office space they may not be talking to each other, let us know your actions.

In the Application status section below the "Date of Acknowledgement" You see the "Registration Status" as of today in your case, but when your "photo/signature" gets scanned there will be anothe row in between the "Aplication status" and "Registration status" called "Photo/Signature" and it will show as scanned.

The handling of the case is so inconsitent, that every one has something to grudge about. Lets keep hope and patience it will work out like others. Dont' get nervous.

Thank you vm1214!

Ok gentleman, I decided to apply OCI for my both kids (holds PIO currently) separately, I know you would say I should have done it with my wife's application but its too late now.

This is what I think I would need, please review and let me know if something is missing. Have 2 kids so I guess I have to apply for them separately, if you think otherwise please let me know.

4 Photos for each kid
$145+$20 Drafts for each kid
Part A and B
Copy of Birth Certificate of kids
Copy of PIO Card of kids (Copy or Original with the application? 1 place they wrote original, another they wrote copy, so confusing)
Copy of their US Passports
Copy of My OCI Card
Copy of My & Wife US Passport
Copy of My & Wife Indian Passport (canceled) - Does this need to be notarized?
Copy of My & Wife Driving License (for address proof)

I've decided to send everything Notarized, yes it will be more than 30 pages per kid, but I don't want to take any risk.

Any thing missing?

The only doubt is, do I have to send original PIO with the application or just copy and I can send original PIO later when I send their passports?

Last edited by a moderator:
DC Office is slow in processing OCIs

Just thought of dropping a quick status update (or rather lack thereof) as I am entering 7th week of OCI process.

Things have not moved out of 'Acknowledgement' state for last 2 weeks. Elsewhere in US, applications are moving to photo scanned, registration granted within 1-3 days after acknowledgement. I know it can take up to 12 weeks to get OCI, and it looks like I am going to be in for the entire ride. I know I cannot do anything about this other than keeping my humor up.

I think watching paint dry would be more fun than this :)

Good luck to you Forum_User_99 -->> how long did it take for your applications to get acknowledged? I am still waiting for acknowledgment for my wife's app sent 2 weeks ago.

BTW, I sent out my kids applications today morning, as an individual applicants, just not trusting them at all on any point. Sent more than what they could need. Did NOT send original PIO card, since there were only 1 place on the website asks to send original PIO and more than 1 places on the same page ask Not to send orignial PIO card, majority wins --- I know I will loose anyways.

Hope my ride will be over before this year gets over.

Sam

Good luck to you also. It took about 4 weeks to get acknowledgement.

It is frustrating to see different consulates in US have different processing times. Since I am not planning to travel anytime soon, I am taking it easy.

Based on posts in NY and Chicago threads and the respective consulate sites, they are not accepting any new OCI Online applications due to "Technical difficulties":(:(

Atleast they now have a documented reason:p;);) for any delays/lost paperwork/et al..

More funky things happening with the OCI processing phases..
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212132-OCI-New-York-Tracker&p=2232246#post2232246
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212132-OCI-New-York-Tracker&p=2232323#post2232323

Is the "BOLD, 20pt" instruction bullet list in http://www.indianembassy.org/oci.php (Under Title "IMPORTANT NOTE") published/updated recently? I think they updated the Font/Size of those to make it blaring:):) :(:(

Forum User 99, i am in the same boat as you. My app was acknowledged on sept 23 (After 5 weeks) and no updates since. May be their scanner is broken???:D

I personally think DC was much faster previously. For some reason they have slowed down lately. I looked at some other's dateline and their photo scanned/ granted updates were within a week or so from the date of ack'd.

Here is my theory:
Hypethetically, there are 3 BABUS that work on OCI's.
BABU 1 is hardworking and does what he is supposed to in timely manner
BABU 2 is your average worker that tries to keep up most of the time
BABU 3 is a scum bag who takes advantage of his govt job and is very unproductive. (Get stuck with this one and you will be waiting for ever)

Think Babu 3 has mine. 2 freakin weeks and he hasn't got around to scan it????

Typical Indian Inefficient Bureaucracy

Based on posts in NY and Chicago threads and the respective consulate sites, they are not accepting any new OCI Online applications due to "Technical difficulties":(:(

Atleast they now have a documented reason:p;);) for any delays/lost paperwork/et al..
]IMPORTANT NOTE published/updated recently? I think they updated the Font/Size of those to make it blaring:):) :(:(

If you add up all the timelines mentioned in that paragraph, it may take upto 4 months to see OCI. That is the happy path. If god forbid something is wrong with Photo/Application, there is no telling on how long it will take. Only Indian Sarkari Bapus can come with most inefficient process for routine tasks of government machinery. If there was an award given to inefficiencies, Govt Of India bureaucrats will bring home the grand prize every year. Are we not supposed to have world class IT brains. Hmmm....

Forum User 99, i am in the same boat as you. My app was acknowledged on sept 23 (After 5 weeks) and no updates since. May be their scanner is broken???:D

I personally think DC was much faster previously. For some reason they have slowed down lately. I looked at some other's dateline and their photo scanned/ granted updates were within a week or so from the date of ack'd.

Here is my theory:
Hypethetically, there are 3 BABUS that work on OCI's.
BABU 1 is hardworking and does what he is supposed to in timely manner
BABU 2 is your average worker that tries to keep up most of the time
BABU 3 is a scum bag who takes advantage of his govt job and is very unproductive. (Get stuck with this one and you will be waiting for ever)

Think Babu 3 has mine. 2 freakin weeks and he hasn't got around to scan it????

I bet these people expect an excellent customer service when they go to shops, talk to CSR agents on phone, interact with their bank and what not. Unbelievable...

Don't forgot the 4th one with the mighty green pen who works only one day every other week. :)

Hope this is not the scenario at DC consulate but looks like it may be :-(

One conspiracy angle to this "Technical Glitch"......

The systems that were deployed for the CWG event hardware had some issues and to address those issues immediately someone "Borrowed some servers/hardware components - without permission;);)" from the NIC data center....

One conspiracy angle to this "Technical Glitch"......

The systems that were deployed for the CWG event hardware had some issues and to address those issues immediately someone "Borrowed some servers/hardware components - without permission;);)" from the NIC data center....

LMAO
I love this angle.

Babus at "NO" work zone

Two consulates posting the same problem on their website at the same time and other consulates who are intimated to acquaint us with the happenings shows a mere sign of awareness that constitutes a rule that any big events happening in India would directly affect the bureaucratic system which can result in an indefinite processes that cannot be solved by mere cry-thon from individuals like us but to bend ourselves to the mercy and keep ignorant of any detestable happenings. This is my thought that we cannot see any progress or change in any of the consulate work till the end of next week.

I am informed that a NGO recently conducted a camp in a temple in Chicago suburbs and collected about more than 1000 applications for OCI. May be Chicago consulate put a temporary halt to new applications to process these applications. Hope i am correct and not a serious Glitch in the system