OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Wife called me to say that my OCI booklet, cancelled Indian PP and US PP with OCI stamp in it, was just delivered via UPS. End of the journey for me. I'll double check everything when I get home. My updated timeline for those who are interested:

7/21/2010 - Mailed SC and OCI applications
7/22/2010 - Received by DC Consulate
8/09/2010 - Acknowledged by DC Consulate
8/10/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
8/10/2010 - Registration Status: Under Process
8/16/2010 - Registration Status: Granted
8/17/2010 - Documents Printed
8/19/2010 - Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office
9/08/2010 - Documents Received at Washington
9/08/2010 - Mailed US PP (and cover letter referencing the file number) via UPS
9/09/2010 - PP received at Embassy (Signed by Pravin)
9/29/2010 - Received cancelled Indian PP, US PP (with OCI visa) and OCI booklet.

Good luck to everyone!

Wife called me to say that my OCI booklet, cancelled Indian PP and US PP with OCI stamp in it, was just delivered via UPS. End of the journey for me. I'll double check everything when I get home. My updated timeline for those who are interested:

7/21/2010 - Mailed SC and OCI applications
7/22/2010 - Received by DC Consulate
8/09/2010 - Acknowledged by DC Consulate
8/10/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
8/10/2010 - Registration Status: Under Process
8/16/2010 - Registration Status: Granted
8/17/2010 - Documents Printed
8/19/2010 - Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office
9/08/2010 - Documents Received at Washington
9/08/2010 - Mailed US PP (and cover letter referencing the file number) via UPS
9/09/2010 - PP received at Embassy (Signed by Pravin)
9/29/2010 - Received cancelled Indian PP, US PP (with OCI visa) and OCI booklet.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations Pau. That is good news. Almost everyone in your batch has completed the "Graduation", I believe.

Looks like they got tired of all our gripes/laments...... UPS delivered my US PP with OCI and the booklet a couple of minutes ago....
For now, taking a break from the embassy communications:):) ....... Knowing well that one cannot sever the connections - permanently:(:(
Here is the timeline.....
7/20/2010 - Mailed OCI applications (UPS)
7/21/2010 - Received by DC Consulate
8/05/2010 - Acknowledged
8/06/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
8/10/2010 - Registration Status: Granted
8/10/2010 - Photo/Signature Rejected
8/23/2010 - Photos Resubmitted in person at DC
8/24/2010 - Photo/Signature Scanned
8/26/2010 - Documents Printed
8/27/2010 - Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office
9/15/2010 - Documents Received at Washington
9/17/2010 - Mailed US PP (FedEx. Loyalties changed at the Embassy by then)
9/20/2010 - PP received at Embassy (Signed by NACHULA)
9/30/2010 - Received US PP (with OCI visa) and OCI booklet (UPS)

Good luck to all in the pipeline and wishing Peace and the very best in all your endeavors.

OCI process is OVER for me!!!

Congratulations Pau. That is good news. Almost everyone in your batch has completed the "Graduation", I believe.

I have "Graduated" as of 15 minutes ago! It took a total of 93 days from submission to receipt, but it feels more like one full year has passed. :eek: Received my OCI and passport in the mail! Everything is accurate as far as I can tell. Freedom is sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to gc4us, linux, lobo, pau, and others ... you guys have helped preserve my sanity!!! :cool:

To everyone that has applied and waiting, try not to get too frustrated :mad: (I know it's difficult). Share your experiences/status on this board and keep it light. You will get through this.

Congrats to the "graduates" and good luck to the rest! That's the end of journey for me. :)

UPS delivered my US PP with OCI and the booklet a couple of minutes ago....

Good luck to all in the pipeline and wishing Peace and the very best in all your endeavors.

Congratulations GC4US, your journey comes to an end, whish you a happy travel in future.

In your signature you wrote photo scanned, granted, rejected, resubmitted......can you describe me a little what happened, as my photos got scanned on 22nd till date nothing happened, I am not sure how long it will take.

Thanks

GS12 & Pau,
Congratulations both of you. Looks like there was lot of acitivity yesterday in the DC office, three of them from this forum received packets. Wish you a happy travel.

Congratulations GC4US, your journey comes to an end, whish you a happy travel in future.

In your signature you wrote photo scanned, granted, rejected, resubmitted......can you describe me a little what happened, as my photos got scanned on 22nd till date nothing happened, I am not sure how long it will take.

Thanks

VM,
Thanks for the wishes.....

Long story short..... My photos got rejected the first time (Those that were submitted with the OCI packet). Based on an email response (Hard to believe..... someone actually responded to my email from the OCI cell in the DC consulate)...... I went in person and submitted another set of photos. The new set got accepted and the process continued on...

For a more detailed narration (when you have free time to kill), you may read the following links....
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212599-OCI-Washington-DC-Tracker&p=2215315#post2215315
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212599-OCI-Washington-DC-Tracker&p=2219610#post2219610

I don't want to jinx the processing speeds..... But, looks like they are processing them now.... (I think the VIP dignitaries from the UN meet have finally left these shores) :):):)

Good luck and Hang in there...

I have "Graduated" as of 15 minutes ago! It took a total of 93 days from submission to receipt, but it feels more like one full year has passed. :eek: Received my OCI and passport in the mail! Everything is accurate as far as I can tell. Freedom is sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!!

Special thanks to gc4us, linux, lobo, pau, and others ... you guys have helped preserve my sanity!!! :cool:

To everyone that has applied and waiting, try not to get too frustrated :mad: (I know it's difficult). Share your experiences/status on this board and keep it light. You will get through this.

Congrats to the "graduates" and good luck to the rest! That's the end of journey for me. :)

Congrats GS..... You are absolutely right.... Feels like Eons when dealing with these folks.... especially when many important documents get stuck in the blak hole...

Best wishes...

You will find many people here with your situation, I recommend you to send them email everyday and if you can spend time on calling them, just try calling them ....

The system is so effed up... its unbelievable ... they charge so much money for these things and have no respect for the documents or the person.

Just to add to this.... There was an even more weird case for one of the applicants.. you can read it here
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212599-OCI-Washington-DC-Tracker&p=2213916#post2213916
http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?212599-OCI-Washington-DC-Tracker&p=2214320#post2214320

I presume you haven't received those in the past, in a separate envelope.....

Here is my take.....
First proof that they processed your SC form for cancelling the Indian PP is the cashier check or MO. Get proof from your bank or institution for realisation of the amount.
Technically, they cannot issue OCI without reviewing the proof of cancellation of Indian citizenship (PP and SC). So they have it in their system. They are on the hook on this.

Gather the following items.
1. US PP with OCI stamp
2. OCI booklet
3. Proof of payment and their realisatoin or encashing the amount.
4. Copy of your Indian PP (You should get this from your OCI file that you submitted originally)
5. Copy of your SC form (You should get this from your OCI file that you submitted originally)

I would send an email to their email id with the subject "Missing Cancelled Indian PP for Stamped OCI - USAWINNNNNNN".
And mention the details from above items.... If you not averse to net security issues, you can submit a scanned copy of the OCI page.

If this does not get any response and If you are far off from DC, submit a letter describing the situation and enclose copies of the above.

If you are within driving distance, I would carry this and a "Duplicate" copy to their office between 12:30 and 1:00 PM on any of their working days to the first floor.... not the basement.

More than the SC, I would worry about the "Cancelled" Indian PP. These weirdos can bring any new rule that requires "Former Indian citizens" to show proof of cancellation of Indian PP at their own convenience.

Good luck and keep us posted...

My new application reached them on 20th Sept

Still there is nothing, almost 2 weeks ending,

the online status says

"Application with this number not yet Acknowledged"

when I enter the USAWI... number in "Online Registration No"

Am I doing wrong? Did something happen to my package?

no movement at all after 2 weeks?

Please help. Should I be seeing something different?

Absolutely NO, 95% of the applications don't get approved within first two weeks, it make take 3 to 4 weeks max. IF they find something wrong or missing from your packet they will return it in the mean time. Keeping checking the status link with your OCI number USAWI ####### and try to stay calm. If you see the delivery status of your packet as "delivered" then there is absolutely nothing you should do at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still there is nothing, almost 2 weeks ending,

the online status says

"Application with this number not yet Acknowledged"

when I enter the USAWI... number in "Online Registration No"

no movement at all after 2 weeks?

Please help. Should I be seeing something different?

This is nothing to worry about. The DC Embassy Site clearly states that it can take up to 8 weeks to acknowledge and application. Mine was acknowledged after 5 weeks.

For whatever reason some are moved along much faster than others. It all depends on your application and everything is on a per case basis. I am assuming that some applications require more scrutiny than others and thus take longer to process.

Ditto, its a joke actually. I think they should have a process of Acknowledging the application immediately after receiving the package. Than have a different status "In Process" if found correct, "Returned back" if something is wrong ... etc .. etc ...

That gives us public a clear picture rather than waiting for 8 weeks and than getting docs back with no real reason ... as I had received back in the past and few more people out here....

PS-Still waiting on Ackn'ed on my wife's docs, almost 2 weeks now.

gc4us, congrats buddy.

Thanks Sam.

Wishing your family good luck with the remaining phases of the paperwork. It will be very productive to focus our energy on other aspects if there is less stress when dealing with the consulate(s).....

If the proceses were streamlined and status updates were automated, it will save everyone a lot of grief..... But, it is not a Private Sector Entity that we are talking about..... 800 pound gorilla...... or the proverbial elephant moving slowly....

Good luck to all.

Ditto, its a joke actually. I think they should have a process of Acknowledging the application immediately after receiving the package. Than have a different status "In Process" if found correct, "Returned back" if something is wrong ... etc .. etc ...

That gives us public a clear picture .

I certainly, I should say more than 100 % I agree with your post. They keep us hanging with no clue about what's happening. This is all because I believe the system was designed based on the requirements uncle and aunties who are/were working in this dept gave these analyst/system designers . At least the analyst or the system designer should have used his brain before coming up with this kind of processing system. when they specifically say everything should be viewed online and no other contacts, they should have tried to simplify the peoples life by giving more information rather than kepping them in this puzzle state. I am not sure if these frustations can ever reach them and change the way they do their work.

My photo/signature got scanned 10 days back and till date no update not sure what is the problem, when they take so many personal/contact details they should at least notify the person if there is a problem, just giving a status "In process" and nothing changing in days and weeks irritates.....damn.