• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New Senate Bill- DV to be cancelled. This Bill to be voted on next Monday, May 21.

Needless to argue US immigration system . This is a country where everyone wants to leave and its citizens have a duty need to protect it. No questions about it. Their current system is inadequate and does not work. However, even the current mess they have is better than the proposed immigration reform. There are way too many things that would just case bigger problems in the future. The bill is such joke that one wonders if they are just using it as a political game. So they can letter say that they tried to improve the situation.

1. all illegals are reward. WHY reward people who have done everything against the law for the last 20 years or less.
2. all legal immigrant in employment category are dropped after paying taxes for years and on average $ 10,000 for legal fees. This people now would lose all. Yes, punish the people who followed the law.
3. Family immigration destroyed. So all citizens and green card holders can forget ever having their family here.
4. Merit point system limits legal immigration severally. The system is too flawed. I cannot even comment of this provision. Who ever suggested this should have his head examined.

The above are just a few points. This whole bill is developed to completely restrict immigration to US. I hope it does not pass.

Ok, I need help from all of your there because I am confused. Wasn’t the S. 1348 immigration reform replaced the with the comprehensive bill on Monday? Why are they working to amend the S.1348 now.

The S.1348 is bad news for DV, exert below:

(e) Worldwide Level of Immigrants With Advanced Degrees- Section 201 (8 U.S.C. 1151) is amended--
(1) in subsection (a)(3), by inserting `and immigrants with advanced degrees' after `diversity immigrants'; and
(2) by amending subsection (e) to read as follows:
`(e) Worldwide Level of Diversity Immigrants and Immigrants With Advanced Degrees-
`(1) DIVERSITY IMMIGRANTS- The worldwide level of diversity immigrants described in section 203(c)(1) is equal to 18,333 for each fiscal year.
g) Effective Date- The amendments made by subsections (e) and (f) shall take effect on October 1, 2007.

The new comprehensive immigration reform cancelled the DV lottery for the future by effective date was Oct 2008.

I am confused. Anyone who is following this please advise. Why are they voting on amendments to the S 1348? Is this only a game while they are waiting for a complete comprehensive compromise bill?

I guess DV 2008 is still not safe?

I am confused. Anyone who is following this please advise. Why are they voting on amendments to the S 1348? Is this only a game while they are waiting for a complete comprehensive compromise bill?
In my understanding, they have been discussing a substitute plan. Since substitute plan draft became available Saturday morning around 2:00am on May 21, some senators voted for opposition. I think it's not still available in official bill form. Senators said it would be more than 900 pages.

legislative notice no.16: http://rpc.senate.gov/_files/L16AdminProposedSubS1348SBEOIRAct052207LB.pdf
bill draft: http://www.c-span.org/pdf/Immigration Draft 05-18-07.pdf

According to the substitute plan, DV-2008 will be safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new comprehensive immigration reform cancelled the DV lottery for the future by effective date was Oct 2008.
How can it be not safe if the cancellation effective date is Oct 2008? The immigrant visas for DV-2008 will be given until the end of September 2008.

How can it be not safe if the cancellation effective date is Oct 2008? The immigrant visas for DV-2008 will be given until the end of September 2008.

Anahit, it is not safe since we do not know which bill is going forward.

The S. 1348 Comprehensive Immigration Reform Act of 2007 does not cancel the DV but puts the numbers down to 18,000. If this becomes a law, only 18,000 green cards available in 2008 for DV winners. If passed, the effective date is Oct 2007. They are amending this bill now. I am not sure why? That is my question. Why amend something you know you want to replace with the comprehensive reform bill.

The comprehensive reform bill is a complete mess. This bill eliminates the DV lottery but the effective date is Oct 2008. If this becomes a law, no more DV in the future but DV 2008 is safe.

I swear, we are all going to become experts in US immigration and legislative system/law.  What can you do, we have to know what we are dealing with. But right now, I am very confused.

Anahit, it is not safe since we do not know which bill is going forward.
mia22, are you in US? I'm watching their discussion right now. And, I'm quite sure that they are discussing the substitute plan, not the original S.1348.
Anahit, I think mia22 is reading the original S.1348. If you go to US Senate floor schedule page, and click S.1348. Then, if you click "Text of Legislation," what you will see is the original plan. I guess that's why mia22 is confused because s/he knows about the other one.

I think Mia is either trying to confuse the people's mind here or trying to find the loopholes, because he/she thinks DV 2008 winners are still not in safe .

I think Mia is either trying to confuse the people's mind here or trying to find the loopholes, because he/she thinks DV 2008 winners are still not in safe .

Toomackie, thanks for your comment. I also thought that they are voting on the new one but for some reason got confused after I read a post on one of the immigration law firm websites. This is such a crazy time and I think I just confused myself after reading so much about this whole process. That is why I asked for help. :)

I was very clear in saying that I am confused about what they are doing now. That is why I asked for clarification from other members. Why in the world would I try to confuse others. Dragoman get of my back with such inconsiderate comments. You are rude. :eek:

mia22, I am somewhat confused, too. When I check "All Congressional Actions with Amendments" about S.1348, I see "S.AMDT.1150 (substitute plan) is considered" It doesn't mention about vote. But, when listening to senate discussion, it's clear that they are talking about substitute plan... What they meant by "compromised plan" they were excited about was the substitute plan. On May 21 before voting, Senator of Alabama pointed out so many problematic parts of the bill, and it was about substitute bill, not the original S.1348. So, the former must be the one.

mia22, I am somewhat confused, too. When I check "All Congressional Actions with Amendments" about S.1348, I see "S.AMDT.1150 (substitute plan) is considered"
It is not voted yet. But, when listening to senate discussion, it's clear that they are talking about substitute plan... What they meant by "compromised plan" they were excited about was the substitute plan. On May 21 before voting, Senator of Alabama pointed out so many problematic parts of the bill, and it was about substitute bill, not the original S.1348. So, the former must be the one.

Yes, they have made this very confusing. There is a lot of contradictory info out there. Let us see what happens in the next two weeks.

Good luck and stay on top. :)

Now, I'm sure it's about the substitute plan. If you check "All Congressional Actions with Amendments" about S.1348, you will see all record about discussing amendment proposed by different senators; you will see "Amendment XXXX proposed by (name of senator) to Amendment SA1150." Amendment SA1150 is the substitute plan.:)

It is just fun :) .. because I have noticed that you have been intensively following the developments on the issue. What was your CN ..?

Toomackie, thanks for your comment. I also thought that they are voting on the new one but for some reason got confused after I read a post on one of the immigration law firm websites. This is such a crazy time and I think I just confused myself after reading so much about this whole process. That is why I asked for help. :)

I was very clear in saying that I am confused about what they are doing now. That is why I asked for clarification from other members. Why in the world would I try to confuse others. Dragoman get of my back with such inconsiderate comments. You are rude. :eek:

It is just fun :) .. because I have noticed that you have been intensively following the developments on the issue. What was your CN ..?
Are you talking about me?:rolleyes: If so, I'm DV2004 winner, so I'm not worried about me but about my close friend who won DV2008 and my boyfriend who is H1B holder. Since he is about to apply for employment-based GC, this legislation will greatly affect his decision/process if merit-based is introduced. That's why I've been following the developments. To me, it's not fun at all.:(

No no ..! I am talking about Mia..I appreciate you and Mia as well althought she scares us :) ..

Are you talking about me?:rolleyes: If so, I'm DV2004 winner, so I'm not worried about me but about my close friend who won DV2008 and my boyfriend who is H1B holder. Since he is about to apply for employment-based GC, this legislation will greatly affect his decision/process if merit-based is introduced. That's why I've been following the developments. To me, it's not fun at all.:(

Wow, if they only give 18,000 DV-2008, then my AS8xxx is out. Mia, where did you read the reduction to 18,000? Thanks in advance.

Wow, if they only give 18,000 DV-2008, then my AS8xxx is out. Mia, where did you read the reduction to 18,000? Thanks in advance.
Original S.1348 was replaced by the other plan, which doesn't mention anything about the reduction of the number; they just state removal of DV program, which will be effective in October 2008. So, so far, DV2008 winners are safe. :)

See sec.505 Elimination of diversity program
http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22422

Hopefully you're right Toomackie. Thanks for giving me hope. Wonder where did Mia got the 18,000 from..

Hopefully you're right Toomackie. Thanks for giving me hope. Wonder where did Mia got the 18,000 from..
It was mentioned in the original S.1348 plan. S/he was worried because original plan said effective date for the number reduction would be October 1, 2007. Since the original plan was already replaced by the other one, you can forget about this number reduction. :)
DV2008 winners should be safe unless senators submit amendments about it.