• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New Senate Bill- DV to be cancelled. This Bill to be voted on next Monday, May 21.

It looks that it at least will still proceed DV 2008 interviews.. I just wish that we all could have the chance to have the interview and get the GC. ( although my case # is quite high for Asian Region, I do hope that I can get the GC next year )

It seems that it is highly possible that there won't be DV 2009.........

Good luck everyone!

so DV 2008 is cancelled?

DV 2008 is not cancelled at all. What they are proposing is changing who Green Card immigrants can vouch to bring into the country, from just about anybody you can prove is family to only spouses and minor children i.e children under 18 years old. If it goes thru it wont be possible to easily bring in parents or brothers and sisters in the future.

Also, the bill is to get a way for illegal immigrants in the US to legalise their stay there if they can contribute to the economy in a positive way, but will be given 2 year visas, then will have to leave the US for their home countries for a year with the assurance that they can return to the US on another 2 year work visa

And the bill also proposes to introduce a points-based system for highly skilled immigrants, like Canada and Australia have, and that would replace the limit that the H1B visa puts for bringing in skilled -immigrants. This would mean that the quota -system would be removed, allowing US companies to bring in as many skilled-immigrants needed, as long as they qualify on points, instead of waiting another year, if the current year's quota is used up.

Havent read anything relating to Green Card lottery being cancelled, and even if it is, I would think that everyone that has or will receive the NL for DV-2008 will still be processed, and they would cancel the DV-2009, IF they are to cancel the program

Mia - interested in your thoughts on this seeing as you have followed this issue continuously.

My thoughts. :) Until two days ago, we have not seen a real draft for the CIR. Now, they have included a time provision for the DV visas to be Oct 2008. To be honest, I am thrilled. That is absolutely great news for all DV 2008 winner. It is a reason to celebrate.

Let us hope if there are any amendments to the CIR this week, that they do not change this time provision.

Overall, I think that this CIR bill is wrong on so many levels and I hope it does not become a law. :mad:

Good luck to all.:)

I remember when people were saying the same thing about DV2006. I can tell you right now, that DV2008 won't be cancelled. This is just a ridiculous thread.

DV 2008 is not cancelled at all. What they are proposing is changing who Green Card immigrants can vouch to bring into the country, from just about anybody you can prove is family to only spouses and minor children i.e children under 18 years old. If it goes thru it wont be possible to easily bring in parents or brothers and sisters in the future.

Also, the bill is to get a way for illegal immigrants in the US to legalise their stay there if they can contribute to the economy in a positive way, but will be given 2 year visas, then will have to leave the US for their home countries for a year with the assurance that they can return to the US on another 2 year work visa

And the bill also proposes to introduce a points-based system for highly skilled immigrants, like Canada and Australia have, and that would replace the limit that the H1B visa puts for bringing in skilled -immigrants. This would mean that the quota -system would be removed, allowing US companies to bring in as many skilled-immigrants needed, as long as they qualify on points, instead of waiting another year, if the current year's quota is used up.

Havent read anything relating to Green Card lottery being cancelled, and even if it is, I would think that everyone that has or will receive the NL for DV-2008 will still be processed, and they would cancel the DV-2009, IF they are to cancel the program

18 years old? So is the Child Status Protection Act going to be nullified?

Semantically, if Diversity Lottery is ended, it should mean ONLY the end of the process of finding winners (the Lottery), but should not affect the winners of the lottery (which has passed the lottery process), unless the winners will be loteried again. :)

Semantically, if Diversity Lottery is ended, it should mean ONLY the end of the process of finding winners (the Lottery), but should not affect the winners of the lottery (which has passed the lottery process), unless the winners will be loteried again. :)

I read the new bill about DV cancellation and it says that nobody will be issued a visa under the dv lottery after October 2008 which means that DV 2008 lottery guys are good to go.

There's a high chance that this Imigration bill will pass this time after the 2 wks deliberations and amendments.

I read the new bill about DV cancellation and it says that nobody will be issued a visa under the dv lottery after October 2008 which means that DV 2008 lottery guys are good to go.

There's a high chance that this Imigration bill will pass this time after the 2 wks deliberations and amendments.

I have done a good bit of research on this, and I have also looked at the bill, I have to say I never though I would finding my self reading a US senate bill, but as a DV-2008 winner I was anxious to be informed. When they say this bill is a big reform they are not wrong, what they are trying to do is radically change an immigration system in a country of 300 million people, that has been in place for decades, it has already been floating about for a long time since around 2005ish??. I have to say I would be very surprised if this bill was passed and signed into law in two weeks.

I am not being unrealistic, the reforms are coming, but there is still much disagreement from what I have read, I think that there is an optimistic feeling the bill may be signed in before the end of the year, I can’t remember where I saw that, I know I should quote where I am getting my info, but this is just an informal opinion and based solely on internet research.

Some politicians are worried about the debate running into the US election cycle, which will run into the early part of 2008 and beyond. I don’t think any one knows what way this is going to play out, but something so radical will have to be refined and refined and refined till everyone is happy with it, as it has been for the last few years. I was in favour of some kind of reforms my self, but after some research I don’t know if the bill in its current state is the best of ideas. But I have much more reading to do before I can debate with some confidence on it.

After I had a bad flight once, I use to be nervous flying. I told one of my friends about it and he told me “well once your on a plane and in the air there is nothing you can do to stop any kind of an incident, you have left all the decisions up to the pilot, so whats the use in Worrying?" I thought he had a point, and now I don’t care when I am on a plane. The point I am trying to make is we can all say what we like about this bill here but the reality is that there is nothing we can personally do about it, its out of our hands. What ever is going to happen will, in its own time happen. In the mean time until KCC publish information pertaining to the cancellation of the DV-2008 It is going to proceed. I think that is the only thing of any authority and accuracy that people can say at the moment.

I would very much like a chance at a green card but if it is not to be then it is not to be and I will move in some other direction in life. With this bill and a high case number hanging over me, all it is at the moment is a waiting game. But I have already beaten the odds and received One of 25000 (number so far anyway) NL letters sent out to over 1.2 million people in Europe so I have to say I am very optimistic about all this…. Luck was on my side for the NL and hopefully it will remain on the side of all the DV-08 winners! :)

I have done a good bit of research on this, and I have also looked at the bill, I have to say I never though I would finding my self reading a US senate bill, but as a DV-2008 winner I was anxious to be informed. When they say this bill is a big reform they are not wrong, what they are trying to do is radically change an immigration system in a country of 300 million people, that has been in place for decades, it has already been floating about for a long time since around 2005ish??. I have to say I would be very surprised if this bill was passed and signed into law in two weeks.

I am not being unrealistic, the reforms are coming, but there is still much disagreement from what I have read, I think that there is an optimistic feeling the bill may be signed in before the end of the year, I can’t remember where I saw that, I know I should quote where I am getting my info, but this is just an informal opinion and based solely on internet research.

Some politicians are worried about the debate running into the US election cycle, which will run into the early part of 2008 and beyond. I don’t think any one knows what way this is going to play out, but something so radical will have to be refined and refined and refined till everyone is happy with it, as it has been for the last few years. I was in favour of some kind of reforms my self, but after some research I don’t know if the bill in its current state is the best of ideas. But I have much more reading to do before I can debate with some confidence on it.

After I had a bad flight once, I use to be nervous flying. I told one of my friends about it and he told me “well once your on a plane and in the air there is nothing you can do to stop any kind of an incident, you have left all the decisions up to the pilot, so whats the use in Worrying?" I thought he had a point, and now I don’t care when I am on a plane. The point I am trying to make is we can all say what we like about this bill here but the reality is that there is nothing we can personally do about it, its out of our hands. What ever is going to happen will, in its own time happen. In the mean time until KCC publish information pertaining to the cancellation of the DV-2008 It is going to proceed. I think that is the only thing of any authority and accuracy that people can say at the moment.

I would very much like a chance at a green card but if it is not to be then it is not to be and I will move in some other direction in life. With this bill and a high case number hanging over me, all it is at the moment is a waiting game. But I have already beaten the odds and received One of 25000 (number so far anyway) NL letters sent out to over 1.2 million people in Europe so I have to say I am very optimistic about all this…. Luck was on my side for the NL and hopefully it will remain on the side of all the DV-08 winners! :)

What do think do it be pass in senate and representative, and no DV-2009?
Because I know that it was passed in house of representative
at 2005 with the bill H.R.4437 including eliminate DV

In the S.1348 amendent, it should insert eliminate DV, if senate agreed to
eliminate it and passed the bill, but the representative reject the bill,
but they agree to eliminate DV, can it delete the DV only but don't
implement Z visa, nonimmigration worker and so on? Or it should implement
the bill with whole agreement?

a very good news

yesterday i met an americain friend who has just come yesterday from NY
and she told me that DV2008 for sur isn't going to be cnceled ans maybe the new law is going to finish a DV that a mean no DV2009 next year
so be relax evry body

What do think do it be pass in senate and representative, and no DV-2009?
Because I know that it was passed in house of representative
at 2005 with the bill H.R.4437 including eliminate DV

In the S.1348 amendent, it should insert eliminate DV, if senate agreed to
eliminate it and passed the bill, but the representative reject the bill,
but they agree to eliminate DV, can it delete the DV only but don't
implement Z visa, nonimmigration worker and so on? Or it should implement
the bill with whole agreement?

Who Knows what they will do? I can say one thing for certain it looks like the DV program’s days are numbered.

While the DV-2008 winners may be lucky enough to get GC’s next year, I think its important to remember the 12 million undocumented workers in the US, I cant imagine what there lives must be like, living day to day in constant worry of being deported, I am sure most of them have families and so on, its no existence. Although they may have broken US law to go there and stay, but that’s another debate, and one I am not about to get into. Any kind of bill that will help to sort out there problems must be a good thing?

Its unfortunate that the DV programme will have to suffer in order to achieve this. People have to be realistic, the US cant just open its borders to all who want to go there, the population would quadruple in no time, 6 or 7 million people applied for the DV-2008, that is just the tip of the ice burg. So you can understand that they want to reallocate the GC’s from the DV as immigration numbers have to be controlled.

Ireland was one of three countries (uk and sweeden too) to allow the 10 new EU country’s members to come and work here as soon as they joined the EU. Hundreds of thousands of Polish and Latvian people have migrated to Ireland, which personally I think is a great thing, Ireland is becoming a much more multi cultural place now, and I would welcome any one here, I tend to be very much on the liberal side of governmental immigration policy’s, but there is no denying that it has had some knock on effects both here and in the 10 new eu states, for example there are now whole towns in Poland with no young people as they are all here to try and earn some money, one in four people in the irish construction industry have come directly from the EU accession states!

Anyway I think our government have begun to look at ways to better manage immigration in general, to try and encourage it but make it fair for natives and immigrants.

My Point is that like it or not countries like the US have to be strict on immigration, other wise there could be serious economic and social consequences down the road. As I have said before I can see both sides of the argument and I am personally trying to be objective about it all. I cant see a solution where everybody will win, but then that’s what life can sometimes be about compromise and sacrifice.

Who Knows what they will do? I can say one thing for certain it looks like the DV program’s days are numbered.

Goodness I am beginning to sound like a politician myself! I hope I don’t offend anyone with my views! I am just trying to expand the arguments for and against this bill. You can all tell me to shut up if you want! :)

Dont worry..! we just ignore it :)

Goodness I am beginning to sound like a politician myself! I hope I don’t offend anyone with my views! I am just trying to expand the arguments for and against this bill. You can all tell me to shut up if you want! :)