• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

New Senate Bill- DV to be cancelled. This Bill to be voted on next Monday, May 21.

Folks,

Based on Mia's findings on S.1348:

`(1) DIVERSITY IMMIGRANTS- The worldwide level of diversity immigrants described in section 203(c)(1) is equal to 18,333 for each fiscal year.
g) Effective Date- The amendments made by subsections (e) and (f) shall take effect on October 1, 2007.'

In my opinion, it should mean that they did not initially plan to cancel the DV altogether, but reduce it to 18,333 for each (consequitive?) fiscal year, effective 1, 2007.

But then they came up with the substitution plan, which eliminates DV altogether starting 2009.

Any idea?

I dont think that all this will have any effect to DV-2008. Maybe it will be effctive Oct 1, 2007 but for me that means it only has influence for 2009 immigrants.

Strange. Now it says 1350, not 1348 anymore:

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s110-1350

S. 1350: A bill to amend title II of the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform the diversity visa...
S 1350 IS

110th CONGRESS

1st Session

S. 1350
To amend title II of the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform the diversity visa program and create a program that awards visas to aliens with an advanced degree.

IN THE SENATE OF THE UNITED STATES

May 10, 2007

Mr. GREGG introduced the following bill; which was read twice and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL
To amend title II of the Immigration and Nationality Act to reform the diversity visa program and create a program that awards visas to aliens with an advanced degree.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. IMMIGRANTS WITH ADVANCED DEGREES.

(a) Worldwide Level- Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151) is amended--

(1) in subsection (a)(3), by inserting `and immigrants with advanced degrees' after `diversity immigrants'; and

(2) by amending subsection (e) to read as follows:

`(e) Worldwide Level of Diversity Immigrants and Immigrants With Advanced Degrees-

`(1) DIVERSITY IMMIGRANTS- The worldwide level of diversity immigrants described in section 203(c)(1) is equal to 18,333 for each fiscal year.

`(2) IMMIGRANTS WITH ADVANCED DEGREES- The worldwide level of immigrants with advanced degrees described in section 203(c)(2) is equal to 36,667 for each fiscal year.'.

(b) Allocation of Immigrant Visas- Section 203 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153(c)) is amended--

(1) in subsection (c)--

(A) in paragraph (1), by striking `paragraph (2), aliens subject to the worldwide level specified in section 201(e)' and inserting `paragraphs (2) and (3), aliens subject to the worldwide level specified in section 201(e)(1)';

(B) by redesignating paragraphs (2) and (3) as paragraphs (3) and (4), respectively;

(C) by inserting after paragraph (1) the following:

`(2) ALIENS WHO HOLD AN ADVANCED DEGREE IN SCIENCE, MATHEMATICS, TECHNOLOGY, OR ENGINEERING-

`(A) IN GENERAL- Qualified immigrants who hold a master's or doctorate degree in the life sciences, the physical sciences, mathematics, technology, or engineering shall be allotted visas each fiscal year in a number not to exceed the worldwide level specified in section 201(e)(2).

`(B) ECONOMIC CONSIDERATIONS- Beginning on the date which is 1 year after the date of the enactment of this paragraph, the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Commerce and the Secretary of Labor, and after notice and public hearing, shall determine which of the degrees described in subparagraph (A) will provide immigrants with the knowledge and skills that are most needed to meet anticipated workforce needs and protect the economic security of the United States.';

(D) in paragraph (3), as redesignated, by striking `this subsection' each place it appears and inserting `paragraph (1)'; and

(E) by amending paragraph (4), as redesignated, to read as follows:

`(4) MAINTENANCE OF INFORMATION-

`(A) DIVERSITY IMMIGRANTS- The Secretary of State shall maintain information on the age, occupation, education level, and other relevant characteristics of immigrants issued visas under paragraph (1).

`(B) IMMIGRANTS WITH ADVANCED DEGREES- The Secretary of State shall maintain information on the age, degree (including field of study), occupation, work experience, and other relevant characteristics of immigrants issued visas under paragraph (2).'; and

if based on 1350, means that there is still going to be Lottery, but the lottery is subdivided into two parts: 18,333 for high school graduates, and 36,667 for Advanced Degrees

Is it safe to say, that 1348 has been replaced by 1350, which in turn has also been replaced by the Comprehensive Bill?

Is it safe to say, that 1348 has been replaced by 1350, which in turn has also been replaced by the Comprehensive Bill?

No I'm afraid. They're totally different bills still. s.1350 & s.1351 only talks about subsets (and those subsets indeed translate to our headaches:eek:) of immigration issues in the US while s.1348 covers the lot. Would be nice if they adopt these into s.1348 (I have a Master's degree:p). After the referral to the Committee on the Judiciary no one knows what's happening to those.

DV 2008 won't be cancelled

Hi Everyone

I have seen so many recent post regarding Dv 2008 cancellation due to recent Immigration reform Act 2007.
Most of people are trying to prejudge the scenarion without considering USA's legal flatform.
USA legal system is very fragile and hard to understand. As per my experience and knowledge, I am quite confidence that DV 2008 won't be cancelled and can't be cancelled. In the proposed S 1348(I guess), there is a proposal to reduce DV visa to 18XXX and even they succeed in passing the act with this provison, it will only be effective on DV 2009. US government has already sent DV 2008 notifivation letters saying tthat they will issue 50,000 visaa and they can't reverse their promise to the winners.
so don't panic. I am confident that DV 2008 applican't will get the visa if they meet the criteria.

your comments will be appreciated

:)

in that bill, does being a "full time student" at high school/college count as being employed? And so could a full time student who doesn't have a job be eligible for the Z-1 visa?
Thank you, it is confusing me.

No. S.1348 has NOT been replaced by S.1350. What senate has been discussing is about S.1348. TommyEdo, did you read my postings? The original S.1348 has been replaced by the substitute plan. But, they still call the bill as S.1348 since the complete substitute plan is amendment to S.1348. Since the substitute plan is not available in bill form, you cannot see it in THOMAS (The Library of Congress). If you click "Text of Legislation" for S.1348 in THOMAS, what you will see right now is the original S.1348 not the substitute plan. But, the draft is available.

Tell you the truth, I didn't know the existence of S.1350. However, the contents of S.1350 is exactly same as SEC. 508 in original S.1348. Since the original S.1348 was replaced by amendment SA1150, we can forget about this DV number reduction. Instead, SA1150 mentions DV program elimination (SEC 505). Since they set effective date for DV program elimination as October 1 2008, DV2008 winners are safe unless some senators submit amendment to SA1150 about DV program later.

If you doubt, check S.1348 in THOMAS. Click "Bill Summary & Status file." Go to "All Congretional Actions with Amendments," you will see "Amendment XXXX proposed by (name of senator) to Amendment SA1150." Amendment SA1150 is the substitute plan.

THOMAS: http://thomas.loc.gov/
Subsitute plan draft (SA1150): http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22422
Legislative Notice No. 16 regarding the substitute: http://rpc.senate.gov/_files/L16AdminProposedSubS1348SBEOIRAct052207LB.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
in that bill, does being a "full time student" at high school/college count as being employed? And so could a full time student who doesn't have a job be eligible for the Z-1 visa?
Thank you, it is confusing me.
hi
there is a provision under the proposed bill, for those who who stay legally in USA but violated the law. therefore if u can provide evidence that you have worked( such as bank records, affidavit from someone who is a us citizen) you may eligible subjected to the approval og new immigration act.
stay smile

thanks for the reply.
which section are you talking about? I overstayed a tourist visa so I am out of status and I am a full time student. I have never worked, I am just graduating from high school.

Thanks Toomackie and 8yrusa. Your inputs allow me to feel 'rational exuberance' (still that possibility of irrational amendment) that DV-2008 will reach its intended end wholely.

I think u may have a fair chance to proceed for Z visa if the bill approved. Contact a good lawyer. I didn't read the whole bill which is about 1200 pages. Be careful when choosing your lawyer as some lawyers don't know exatly how to go through loop holes. Thereareso many attorneys who don't charge you for initial consultation.Some lawyers are not experienced enough.
If the bill approved, we can find which provision would be applicable to you.
stay in touch.

good luck

You are okay

Goodness I am beginning to sound like a politician myself! I hope I don’t offend anyone with my views! I am just trying to expand the arguments for and against this bill. You can all tell me to shut up if you want! :)
You are a good man; you are just being realistic. Imagine what would happen if all 6.8 million DV applicants for dv-08 flooded the US:eek:
You are more of a pragmatist rather than a politician.

Hi guys.
What about last situation? Would anyone summarize recent news.
Do you see any hope for DV2009?
Thanks for reply.
Bye.

Hi guys.
What about last situation? Would anyone summarize recent news.
Do you see any hope for DV2009?
Thanks for reply.
Bye.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/R?r110:FLD001:S06674

TEXT OF AMENDMENT SUBMITTED MONDAY, MAY 21, 2007 -- (Senate - May 24, 2007)

choose Page: S6674

SEC. 505. ELIMINATION OF DIVERSITY VISA PROGRAM

(a) Section 201 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151) is amended--

(1) in subsection (a)--

(A) by inserting ``and'' at the end of paragraph (1);

(B) by striking ``; and'' at the end of paragraph (2) and inserting a period; and

(C) by striking paragraph (3); and

(2) by striking subsection (e).

(b) Section 203 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153) is amended--

(1) by striking subsection (c);

(2) in subsection (d), by striking ``(a), (b), or (c),'' and inserting ``(a) or (b),'';

(3) in subsection (e), by striking paragraph (2) and redesignating paragraph (3) as paragraph (2);

(4) in subsection (f), by striking ``(a), (b), or (c)'' and inserting ``(a) or (b)'' ; and

(5) in subsection (g), by striking ``(a), (b), and (c)'' and inserting ``(a) and (b)''.

(c) Section 204 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1154) is amended--

(1) by striking subsection (a)(1)(I);

(2) by redesignating subparagraphs (J), (K), and (L) of subsection (a)(l) as subparagraphs (I), (J), and (K), respectively; and

(3) in subsection (e), by striking ``(a), (b), or (c)'' and inserting ``(a) or (b)''.

(d) REPEAL OF TEMPORARY REDUCTION IN VISAS FOR OTHER WORKERS.--Section 203(e) of the Nicaraguan Adjustment and Central American Relief Act, as amended (Public Law 105-100; U.S.C. 1153 note), is repealed.

(e) EFFECTIVE DATE.--

(1) The amendments made by this section shall take effect on October 1, 2008;

(2) No alien may receive lawful permanent resident status based an the diversity visa program on or after the effective date of this section.

(f) CONFORMING AMENDMENTS.--Section 203 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1153 (a)) is amended by redesignating paragraphs (d), (e), (f), (g), and (h) as paragraphs (c), (d), (e), (f), and (g), respectively.

SA 1199. Mr. DODD (for himself and Mr. MENENDEZ) proposed an amendment SA 1150 proposed by Mr. REID (for himself and Mr. SPECTER) to the bill S. 1348, to provide for comprehensive immigration reform and for other purposes;

+++++

But I still not understand, if the bill had been passed in Senate,
but not pass in House of Rep, but House of Rep agreed to eliminate DV,
can it let President Bush to sign up the eliminate DV law,
but whole S.1348 bill to be re-amendment by Congress?
Or President should sign up the bill wholely?

No one answe me!

Immgrat,

Since it is called a Comprehensive Plan, logically all sections of the bills should be agreed by all parties concerned before being aproved by Congress. No one party will agree that his 'favorite' section does not get approval while others pass. That is my opinion.