New naturalization test sample sentences - let's collect!

How strict do they judge our writing? If we write down "we pay the taxes",
"we paid taxes", "we pay tax", we pay taxs", "we payed the tax", or "we pays tax", can we still pass?

They do not look for perfection but it has to be reasonably to close to what the officer has just said. They will use common sense to evaluate.

How strict do they judge our writing? If we write down "we pay the taxes",
"we paid taxes", "we pay tax", we pay taxs", "we payed the tax", or "we pays tax", can we still pass?

from USCIS Scoring Guidelines file Scoring Guidelines for the English Portion of the Naturalization Test (40KB PDF)
WRITING: To sufficiently demonstrate the ability to write in English, the applicant must write one sentence, out of three sentences, in
a manner that would be understandable as written to the USCIS Officer
. An applicant shall not be failed because of spelling,
capitalization, or punctuation errors unless the errors would prevent understanding the meaning of the sentence. A general description of
how the writing portion is scored follows:
Pass:
• Has the same general meaning as the dictated sentence
• May contain some grammatical, spelling, punctuation, or capitalization errors that do not interfere with meaning
• May omit short words that do not interfere with meaning
• Numbers may be spelled out or written as digits
Fail:
• Writes nothing or only one or two isolated words
• Is completely illegible
• Writes a different sentence or words
• Written sentence does not communicate the meaning of the dictated sentence
So it is up to IO. See also a post #831 from robin2006 in the thread: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=288287&page=28.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per a member's request, here are the sentences I had to read and write:

What do we pay to the government?

We pay taxes

Hope that helps...

I was never asked to read a question. The IO just asked me to write "Citizens can vote"

I don't think anyone who posts in this thread should be worried about the test. Obviously, if you can read this thread and participate by answering the different posts, you should be fine. Just my opinion.

I don't think anyone who posts in this thread should be worried about the test. Obviously, if you can read this thread and participate by answering the different posts, you should be fine. Just my opinion.

I agree. The OP has been writing English flawlessly but still collecting the sentences. It makes me to doubt the intentions of the OP for starting this thread. It might be possible that OP is in a business that serves people with no English skills to prepare for the citizenship interview and collect fee. In that case, the OP is using this forum for personal business rather than helping each other here. I may be wrong in that assumption but I don't see any other valid reason for the OP to collect sentences when the OP itself is writing English excellently.

We don't have to worry for ourselves but many of us can worry about that for our spouses whose English or knowledge may not be good enough. So this thread of discussion is very good. It is not a problem for us but we can pass what we hear and read here to our spouses etc.

I could never make sense of this thread either. It is not like we will be asked to come up with our own answers, IO gives both question & answer.

I could never make sense of this thread either. It is not like we will be asked to come up with our own answers, IO gives both question & answer.

That is exactly the point of this thread: The thread call for thsoe who have
gone thru the interview to share with us questions/answers given by the IOs

Yes, it is exact website I use for my preparation. Unfortunately, their sentences are for the Old naturalization test. The only way to find out any New test sentences is asking people who already passed the test.

Actually the new release of http://passcitizenshipexam.com has these new sentences posted, and you can listen to them as well :D, they are under the civics diction section. You can also select to see the sentences for the old test using the drop down menu on the civics dictation page.

At last I got my sentence and it is distinct - "The American Indians lived here."!

So I am U.S. Citizen ;):D:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am wondering what is the benefit in collecting test sentences and answers?

If an applicant can actively participate in this forum, s/he will be able to write the sentences without any problems. I think it's just a psychological thing.

At last I got my sentence and it is distinct - "The American Indians lived here."!

So I am U.S. Citizen ;):D:)

Congratulations, but I believe this is the first instance of this sentance so you managed just fine on your own :D

If an applicant can actively participate in this forum, s/he will be able to write the sentences without any problems. I think it's just a psychological thing.

Some participants may need infor for their parents etc whose English
level is low. So this thread is useful. And there is always benefit to
know in advance what questions can be asked no matter how good one's English is

Some participants may need infor for their parents etc whose English
level is low. So this thread is useful. And there is always benefit to
know in advance what questions can be asked no matter how good one's English is

If it's for someone with poor language skills, then it's understandable. However, no member of this forum (even those with less than adequate English - they still have no problem getting their point across) would benefit from knowing that s/he may be asked to write "I drive a blue car." The passing standards for the writing test are rather lax. In fact, I've never heard of anyone failing the writing test. I know a 75 year old man who hardly speaks any English, and he passed without any problems.