N-565 tracker

Sometimes they seem to lose the photos when they open the application envelope, or perhaps they get damaged, or don't meet specifications. I think it is getting time to bug them again to see if they have everything now and to get the certificate ASAP.

Good luck.

Nebraska seems to be processing cases with PD around March 14. That gives about close to eight months processing time.

Could someone who has received a certificate of citizenship from the Texas service center confirm that their final case status is "Document mailed to applicant."? I am doing some research on the Texas service center and I don't see "Approval notice sent." status (as I do for Nebraska service center), but I see a lot of "Document mailed to applicant." both from newer cases and cases from more than a year ago. It is not completely clear to me if that "Document mailed to applicant." always means that the certificate was sent. Could it be that they send some other document?
I've seen some denials and some cases still pending since February 2007, which strikes me as odd (it could be that they never updated the online status for these cases".
Anyway, if the "Document mailed to applicant." means that they have approved and sent the certificate, then the Texas center is way faster than the Nebraska center, as it would look like they are processing July 2008 cases, while Nebraska is stuck in the first two weeks of March 2008.

n-565

just received email from uscis regarding my app

On November 13, 2008, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N565 APPLICATION FOR A NEW NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, call 1-800-375-5283 to update your address.
:mad:

Sorry to hear that :( They might have misplaced your photos. If it is something that can be shared, please do share with us when you receive the letter. I know it is very frustrating, you could be receiving the certificate but instead you are going to get a letter and a potential delay of more than a month.

If there is any silver lining is that they seem to be moving at a steady pace. Believe me, I do feel bad for your predicament. It seems that one or two out of ten applications get a request for evidence.

I'd like to think that I had something to do with this, perhaps I really had. A couple of months ago, or three I got in touch with the citizenship ombudsman and I let him know that Nebraska and Texas were not reporting the N-565 processing times. Lo and behold, this last processing times from Nebraska and Texas include the N-565 processing times :) Yeeeeeha! As I expected Texas is much faster than Nebraska, my luck again :( I go from slowpoke to slowpoke. It's good that I haven't been in a hurry all along. The six months of Texas means that they are doing it in less than six months. I think they might be actually doing it in four months or so, probably less.

Here are the processing times. Consider that these are really a few weeks old news. I think Nebraska is actually processing early to mid-March 2008 cases.

As of September 30, 2008:

Nebraska service center: February 07, 2008

Texas service center: 6 Months

Last edited by a moderator:
I was doing some more research for Nebraska cases and I did a subconscious analysis on the data and I got the impression that the way Nebraska currently processes the N-565 cases could be that there is a person or group who looks ahead in the cases, perhaps one month forward. If they find that the case needs some further documents they send the request. I would guess that the hope is that this would give people enough time to response, so in the end all the cases get approved around the same time, the ones that don't require additional evidence and the ones who do. Otherwise, if they wait until they are processing cases for a particular date to issue the request for evidence that would penalize those cases with one or two months of extra processing. If they are indeed doing this I think it is a reasonable way of processing applications. I am basing this in my observation of some April 14 cases that have been issued request for evidence around November 25, when the current processing time is still around the first two weeks of March.

Update

Hurucan,
Since I last posted, I received a request for evidence. The request was for identification. I promptly responded with a photo copy of my drivers license and am happy to say I have my certificate of naturalization in my hands. Once the evidence was received they emailed me that the approval notice was sent which was the actual certificate. Thanks for your help. It kept me sane while in the application process.
Kenny :)

Hi Kenny,

I am so glad for you. I was actually thinking on asking if you had heard anything, as I had noticed that some cases around your dates had gone from evidence received to approved, so I was hoping that your case was one of them. Congratulations! :)

Now I am just hoping to hear some good news from jenh5.

Along the way I have found more information about the cases and how to interpret the receipt number. Here is an interesting link:

http://www.immihelp.com/immigration/decipher-uscis-case-receipt-number.html

All in all I am glad to see that USCIS seems to be working on these cases, and that it is mostly a matter of being patient. As I said in a previous post, it would seem like USCIS is being a bit proactive and requesting evidence ahead of the time the application is going to be adjudicated, perhaps missing or not good photos and things like that.

Sadly, no update for me... When we call the customer service number, we are told to wait 90 days...and that cases received around our timeline have a completion date of mid-January.

Our case status online still says RFE sent. It hasn't been updated with RFE received. Will keep posted...

Hi jenh5,

Sorry to hear that. I hope you get some positive news soon. They are giving you the standard answer, that N-565 is supposed to take six months. However, Texas seems to be processing faster than others. I hope that they approve the application soon.

From Seattle

Looks like my story with USCIS is not going to end soon....

I live in Seattle....

I have applied for the passport and got it within 2 weeks. But my naturalization certificate did not came in. It's been almost 3 weeks since I got my passport.

I called the passport office and they said we have sent it (also sent a letter stating that and I received that letter). They said I might have to apply for a new naturalization certificate.

Any idea how much time it would take to get a new naturalization certificate with N-565?

Is there anything I can do to get the $380 from passport office since it is their mistake (to send it via ordinary mail)?

Please let me know my options.

Thanks
Homer

HomerSimp,

I have read in some of your other posts that the certificate has been found, so I don't think you need me to answer, but I'll answer the easy questions anyway.
1. Processing time for N-565 is 8 months in Nebraska, and less than six months in Texas.
2. I wondered myself if I could recover some of the expenses from the passport agency. I never really dug into it. I remember reading the case of someone who had his naturalization certificate shredded by mistake by a department of motor vehicles (DMV) office. In that case the DMV offered to pay full costs. I still haven't seen a case of lost certificate from passport office so I don't know if anybody has been successful getting some monetary compensation from the passport or post office.

For whatever is worth, it seems that Nebraska is currently processing cases around April 8, so still consistent with a 8 months processing time.

No need to create another entry, Nebraska on December 11 seems to be processing cases around April 17, 2008.

Again, just updating my last entry. On January 21st I see some activity up to around August 22nd, 2008. However, the bulk of the activity is much earlier, probably around mid June or so. The activity around August seems to be mostly requests for evidence. It seems they scan some cases ahead to send the requests for evidence and give a chance to the applicants to respond and get approved within the processing time frames. I don't want to keep my hopes too high, but it would seem like Nebraska is picking up some steam and processing a bit quicker. For now I will still hold to the 7 to 8 months expectation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huracan,
I have read this entire thread and I am very glad that you have provided this information. I became a citizen in May of 07, and lost my Naturalization Certificate sometime in August of the same year. I sent in N-565 to the Texas office on Jan. 13th, 2009, check was cashed on Jan. 23rd, 09. I have not received any letter from them saying they have received my application. Can you provide me with the link online where I can check my case status please, if such a link exists? Thank you very much for this thread, this is the only place online I have been able to find with this information.

Ok I received the action notice on January 28th. I'm going to make an appointment with the immigration office to see if I can have my case expedited.

Hi Sandfarnia,

I'm glad you got your notice of action which should have your case number. You should be able to check the status of your case at: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/caseStatusSearchDisplay.do

Yes, I created this thread out of lack of information anywhere else about N-565 processing, and I am glad that it seems to come fairly up in search engines, which is good (or bad, because I'd wish there was more information out there).

My personal observation is that Texas is processing cases faster, but Nebraska gives more up to date and seemingly more detailed status for cases. It seems that Texas and Nebraska don't agree with the status change. It seems for Texas, when the application is approved they change the status to "Document mailed to applicant." while Nebraska seems to use "Approval notice sent." There are other apparent differences around request for evidence handling. Nebraska seems to quickly acknowledge receipt of a response to a request for evidence and then eventually moves the case to either denied or approved. Texas doesn't seem to be that proactive about this. All in all I wish you luck expediting the case. If you are not in a big hurry it might be better to leave it in peace and they should act on your case in around six months.

By the way, I take the opportunity to mention that Nebraska seems to (currently) be processing cases up to the third week of August 2008.

Good luck.

Hi Huracan,

July 29, 2008, Texas updated online status "Approval notice sent"
I called Customer Service several times. she sent the request of
"Undelivery Certificate" to Texas Center.
As of Today, Feb 3, 2009, I still do not receive replacement certificate.
How long it takes from "Approval notice sent" to "sent replacement certificate" ?
I have been waiting for more than 7 months.

That doesn't sound good. I don't know as much about Texas, but in Nebraska, from only one data point I think it is just days after the message changes. By the way, does your case start with LIN or SRC? I'm asking because the case status you mention is not a typical case status message from Texas. Could you go back and check your case status online and see what it says?

Usually if a document has been returned to them because it was undeliverable they show that on the case status. At least in Nebraska service center. I don't know why both centers do things so differently.

Good luck,

case start with SRC
I do not know if Texas had sent me the Certificate Or had never sent me the Certificate
Because the status is "Approval notice sent" since July 2008
"undeliverable" had never shown on the case status.
Current Status is "Approval notice sent"