N-565 tracker

Congratulations! :)

I'm glad to see that N-565 processing is done in a reasonable amount of time.

N-565 Document Information

So, I lost my passport and certificate of citizenship at the same time. I hadn't needed it for a while since I always used social security card and drivers license. Now, that i'm about to be a graduate student, some idiot at the office screwed up my name and labeled me a permanent resident (with no prompting from me). Now, I have to prove I'm a citizen and need the N-565 form. I was going to mail the two little photos and a copy of my driver's license as part of the official paperwork. I was wondering if I should include anything else? Also, I can't seem to remember which USNCIS office issued my certificate. Is that going to be a problem?

Oath?

You don't remember where you took your oath?

Well, I think it was the LA Convention Center. I can't really recall; it's been a long time since I received my papers. It's been about 9 years now; so, not doing so great. But, is there any way to verify citizenship status by having an office call USCIS? I think that would be much faster than waiting on a certificate.

Although in theory they could query USCIS for your citizenship status, in practice I don't think that's possible. The Social Security Administration might know that you are a citizen, but I am not sure how you can go from there to what you need.

Anyway, for the N-565 put as much information as you remember to help them out locate your record. Most of the information they ask is to help them make sure they locate your A-file correctly, and that you are the rightful subject of that A-file.

You might want to schedule an Infopass and see if they give you any ideas on how to solve your problem, but I'm afraid they'll tell you to apply for N-565. I am not aware of any other temporary proof of citizenship.

I wonder if E-Verify tells the person who makes the query about your work eligibility only, or if it also tells the citizenship status. If it tells the citizenship status your university might send an E-Verify query to verify your citizenship. This is all hypothetical. I've never heard of anybody doing this.

Current N-565 timeline

Huracan or others, can you please give me a sense of current timeline for N-565 in San Jose DO? My wife just got her naturalization certificate in Oath and we are debating whether to go thru with her name change now or next year given our upcoming India trip in a couple of months.

Please advise!

TIA

N-565 doesn't depend on the local office. For San Jose you'll need to send the N-565 application to Nebraska. The current time should be around five months or less. It doesn't involve any interviews or anything, they will send the new certificate in the mail. If your trip is not going to be long you could apply now.

Lost Citizenship Certificate

Huracan,

I lost my citizenship certificate and applied for a replacement N-565 (N-565 form received by USCIS Aug 16.). I recently received a job offer but will need to demonstrate citizenship. Is there any way to expedite the N-565 process, or a method of receiving some sort of letter from the USCIS stating that my form is being processed or better yet that I am a citizen? I'm really excited about the job, but would hate to be turned down because I wont receive my Naturalization Certificate in time. Any ideas????

Im going to call HR to explain my situation and see if I can have a couple of months to submit my forms. I do have a scanned copy of the document, but Im afraid that it wont be enough.

Thanks for your time and help.

Flo

Its an engineering position w/ Boeing. They require the I-9 (which you are correct, i could use a my DL and SS), however, they also have an Export Control Compliance Verification Form that requires proof of US Citizenship (Certificate of Naturalization in my case). Like I mentioned in my previous post, I have a color scanned copy of the doc, but not the original ... I've tried to call USCIS to explain my situation, but they dont seem to have a process in order for this kind of scenario (Need to prove citizenship but cant afford to wait the ~6 months). I have also considered informing the Homeland Security Ombudsman of my situation to see if i can get my case expedited since an employment position might be in jeopardy.

Any other suggestions? Thanks again for the feedback/recommendations.

Yes, cases can be expedited. However, I am not too sure of the procedure. I never had to do it myself, but if you look around you might find some posts of people who had a successful expedited request. I forgot of in this thread or other thread. If I find the reference I'll try to post it here.

They should send you a notice of action soon with your case number.

Don't give up, try to expedite your case.

Quick link with some reference to expediting: http://www.mofo.com/about/socalfire2007/immigration.html

Basically, for expediting your request you might need to do an Infopass, or somewhat contact the service center that is processing your request. Take into account that you still don't know your case number as you haven't received the notice of action. This might work to your advantage. When you call on the phone you can get more attention from the operator in the cases you haven't received a notice of action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Huracan,

I went ahead and called USCIS' 800 number and explained my case. Basically that I have an employment offer that is contingent on my proof of citizenship, and If I was unable to prove citizenship, I would be out of a job (essentially financial hardship). I was given a "Expedite Confirmation" number, and told that someone would contact me within 5-10 business days. I was going to schedule an InfoPass appointment, but will probably wait to hear back from them first. Thanx for the help, I'll keep posting updates that will hopefully prove beneficial to others.

Chucko

Good luck chucko. I know that quite a few people have good luck with expediting, and I'm sure you'll get your certificate soon. Thanks for letting us know that calling the 800 number and explaining the financial hardship was enough to get the expedited ball rolling. I just hope that this information doesn't get misused by people who don't have a legitimate reason to expedite.

I am in the same boat as chucko -- trying to obtain a duplicate certificate for employment purposes. Tried contacting the ASCIS 800 number to request expedition, but they didn't offer me anything like an expedite confirmation number. They told me to submit the N-565 with a letter from the potential employer but said they would make no promises regarding expediting the matter. I've seen a couple of different 800 numbers and am wondering if I reached a different office than chucko did. The number I tried was 800-375-5283. Any feedback would be enormously appreciated.

Cert. Of Natlz'n Update

Mariabo,

Thats the correct number. What you need to do is stress to them the fact (if it applies) that not receiving the certificate in an expedited time period will have impacts x,y and z. You need to keep calling and insisting until you find someone who is willing to help.

Also, if you were naturalized after 1998, USCIS is the only place that has records of your naturalization. I tried to call the US Disctrict Court House where i was naturalized, but since it occured after 1998, I was told USCIS was the only place to go.

So if you were naturalized before 1998, try calling the Court House where you were naturalized for a Verification Letter (w/ Seal) that may serve as temporary proof of citizenship.

Update (My Case):

I logged onto USCIS today and saw my application was approved. (4 weeks to the day they received my form). Any ideas on how long it takes for the certificate to arrive once its approved??

What ive done:

[*]Called USCIS until i was able to speak w/ someone who would help me.
[*]After explaining my situation I was given an Expidite Confirmation Number.
[*]Contacted my US Senator's office and informed them of my situation, and
had them submit an expedite request on my behalf.

Now, im just waiting... Its gonna be a time crunch for me, as im set to start working Mid October (assuming i receive my certificate)

Do I need to file N565 asap

Hi Huracan & others
My husband and I became citizens in Sep 2008 (v had the interview just 10 days after my son was born after a complicated pregnancy) . we applied for passport Nov 08 and received them Dec first week but never got the naturalization documents back; Icontacted Passport services and they opened an inquiry. No updates yet. Some one has to get to it. I am tired of waiting and and not hearing anything form them. Can I go ahead and file N 565. It will be TSC for me. I never took a copy of the Naturalization doc since it says 'it is unlawful to make copies of it';

If I send N565 with copies of these docs (I have approved N400, passport book, drivers license and SSN card that was provided whan I came on H1B) and passport pictures without a copy of the naturalization doc is that sufficient?

Also I have a job background check and they need birth cert or naturalisation papers. If I show my signed us passport is that enough ?

What are the implications of not having the naturalization doc with you ?

Please advise.
Thanks

Hey Guys... so I just Received my naturalization certificate.

Timeline:

Aug 13th: Submitted Application.
August 17th: Received Confirmation of Receipt of Form and Funds.
September 16th: Approval Notice Sent.
September 19th: Certificate of Naturalization Received.

Action Taken:

Called USCIS about 3-4 times explaining my situation each time and requesting to speak with an immigration officer each time until i received an Expedite Confirmation Number.

Called the local office of my US Senator and had them submit and inquiry for expedite on my behalf after I explained to them my situation and the financial hardships as a result of not receiving the certificate in time for my job offer (which required proof of US Citizenship)

Continued to call USCIS and requested to speak with an Immigration officer (not the initial screeners who take your call.) and explained my situation until I was given some more details on my case and a more detailed description of what was happening with my case.

Is naturalization certificate number same as A # ?

Need help filling out the N 565 form... SinceI did not take a copy of the certificate, I do not have it.

Hey Guys... so I just Received my naturalization certificate.

Timeline:

Aug 13th: Submitted Application.
August 17th: Received Confirmation of Receipt of Form and Funds.
September 16th: Approval Notice Sent.
September 19th: Certificate of Naturalization Received.

Action Taken:

Called USCIS about 3-4 times explaining my situation each time and requesting to speak with an immigration officer each time until i received an Expedite Confirmation Number.

Called the local office of my US Senator and had them submit and inquiry for expedite on my behalf after I explained to them my situation and the financial hardships as a result of not receiving the certificate in time for my job offer (which required proof of US Citizenship)

Continued to call USCIS and requested to speak with an Immigration officer (not the initial screeners who take your call.) and explained my situation until I was given some more details on my case and a more detailed description of what was happening with my case.

Congratulations! :) Thanks for all the information you have provided. I'm sure it is going to be useful to many people.