N-565 tracker

Huracan

Registered Users (C)
Let's see if there is anyone interested about tracking N-565 applications. For those who don't know, but wish to know, what a N-565 do, it is an application to replace a lost, destroyed or incorrect certificate of naturalization or of citizenship. I just sent an application to replace an incorrect certificate for my child about a week ago to Nebraska Service Center. I just received the notice from USCIS that they have the application with them. I have not a very good idea of how long it will take, but I am bracing myself for 6 to 12 months. If you have any experience with the Nebraska and/or Texas service center handling of N-565 please feel free to contribute to this thread.

PS: The USCIS site processing times don't make any reference about N-565 so the official processing time is unknown.

I think it should be a sticky. I have seen many people ask questions or try to follow up with these issues. What does everybody else thinks?
:D:D:D

Hi kennysd,

Is that at Nebraska or Texas center? Are you replacing a lost or destroyed certificate, or just getting a replacement because they made a typo.

n-565

Huracan,
It is for a lost certificate and it is pending at the Nebraska Service Center. It was received March 10, 2008. I have had no updates since.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I have seen a lot of February cases that are also not moving. I am afraid we are in for a long wait :(

processing time

I got some answers from someone who trains USCIS employees. She stated that she is seeing the processing times for the n-565 around 6 months or so. I hope that is the case.

Thanks, that sounds great. About six months is what I was expecting. Honestly, I am not in a big hurry, but I understand that for other people who have lost all forms of identification it is a big deal. I don't see any good reason why this takes more than a month. Anyway, I think there are ways of expediting it for people who are in great need.

We sent in our N-565 form in early July. The Texas Service Center received it on July 17th.

We made an appointment with our local office to try to expedite things. The local office told us to call the customer service office.
We called the customer service office on September 2nd. They said that due to this issue creating an individual's financial loss, they would be able to expedite this. We should hear from the TSC within 45 days. (He lost his job and can't get another because he has no forms of ID...)
On September 5th, we received a letter from the Texas service center stating that they are processing forms received on July 14th. Ours was received on July 17th. Basically, when they get to us, they'll get to us.
On September 12th, we received another letter from the Texas Center stating that our N-565 application had been approved and we would receive the new document via Certified Mail within 21 business days.
I'll update once we receive...(Hopefully before October!)

***Thanks to Huracan for helping us through this.

And here's the info I found on expediting:

USCIS Expedite Criteria

All expedite requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis, and are granted at the discretion of the Director. The criteria are as follows:

Severe financial loss to company or individual
Extreme emergent situation
Humanitarian situation
Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
Department of Defense of National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
USCIS error
Compelling interest of USCIS
If your case is at a local office at the time you need to make your emergency request, please go to the local office in person to make your request. Please be sure to take all supporting documentation with you.

If your case is at one of our Service Centers or the National Benefits Center, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283 to receive further instructions on where and how to send your request.

We sent in our N-565 form in early July. The Texas Service Center received it on July 17th.

We made an appointment with our local office to try to expedite things. The local office told us to call the customer service office.
We called the customer service office on September 2nd. They said that due to this issue creating an individual's financial loss, they would be able to expedite this. We should hear from the TSC within 45 days. (He lost his job and can't get another because he has no forms of ID...)
On September 5th, we received a letter from the Texas service center stating that they are processing forms received on July 14th. Ours was received on July 17th. Basically, when they get to us, they'll get to us.
On September 12th, we received another letter from the Texas Center stating that our N-565 application had been approved and we would receive the new document via Certified Mail within 21 business days.
I'll update once we receive...(Hopefully before October!)

***Thanks to Huracan for helping us through this.

I am so happy to hear this news!! Thanks, and my apologies if I doubted your story at the beginning. I still find unusual to fold the certificate of citizenship, but hey, each person does things differently. I am sure you'll receive the certificate this week or early next week. I understand that your financial situation might not be very good now because of all this trouble, but as I mentioned earlier Jim might consider getting a passport and/or passport card as soon as possible, and keep these and the certificate of citizenship at different safe places. A passport or passport card can be used to get employment, even without showing the social security card. Also a passport can be used to obtain a passport card, and vice versa, so if one of them gets lost you can replace it easily with the other passport document. Basically, no need to go through all this pain of the N-565. These passport documents are good for ten years so in the long run it is not that expensive and it is good insurance against another situation like this.

update

I just went to my local USCIS office after scheduling an appointment. I asked the agent status of my case and she stated that they had no status and that I should contact the 800 number or check onliine. I advised that no info for the n-565 was available through either method. She then contacted the Nebraska Service Center and stated to me that they are currently processing applications from January 2008. So the wait is looking more like 8 months. Ive been waiting 6 and my app was received in March. Hope this helps.

I don't think I could be more upset or angry than I am right now. I checked the website today, after not receiving anything yet and here's what it says:

Current Status: REQUEST FOR INITIAL EVIDENCE SENT, CASE PLACED ON HOLD

On October 6, 2008, we mailed a notice requesting initial evidence in this case. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the evidence requested. Meanwhile, processing of this case is on hold until we either receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once you submit the evidence requested and a decision is made, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your mailing address.

We mailed EVERYTHING we had. This is absolutely ridiculous that they would send us a letter telling us the certificate is on it's way and then tell us that they need more evidence 25 days later.

Hi jenh5,

I am sorry to hear these news. Yes, USCIS is pretty dysfunctional and opaque organization, and many times it shows that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I just hope that when you get the letter it is something not complicated and that they don't further mismanage your application. I think it would take another call to them once you send the information back to make sure they don't put the application in the back burner.

I recently sent a request to get a copy of my A-file and I also thought I had filled out all mandatory fields but they came back to me with a letter asking me for some of the optional information. I called them up for this and to request the file as CD and they told me that the additional information was to make sure they were releasing the information to the right owner or something to that effect.

Perhaps they need something simple, I hope so.

Thanks, Huracan...I'm hoping it's something simple too. Once we send back whatever they want, I'll make sure Jim puts a call in. Thanks again...

For whomever might be interested in this information it seems Nebraska service center is processing mid February 2008 cases.

Huracan,
thanks for the update, do you know someone who sent their application in february? Just wondering where you got the update from. thanks again:)

Hi kennysd,

Yes, it looks like processing is about eight months (eight and a half or so). Thanks for contributing this to the thread. Every little information helps. Unfortunately they still don't post processing times for N-565 so we are pretty much in the dark. You might get your certificate in a couple of months, hopefully less.

Good luck.

RFE was for passport photos...(Even though we already sent them)
Sent additional ones on the 8th....arrived in Texas on the 9th...Haven't heard from them since and the website hasn't been updated to show anything has been received....bla..