Montreal Interview Tracker -- Part DeuX [Ara2000, AttaBoy, CDN_CPER, Dongky, Enduring, GC Indian, Ja

EB-3 Waiting and PD

Is any one else waiting for EB-3 status change to current?
P-3 sent last week and waiting to see what happens next.
P-3 Review and case completed Date......
Visa number from state dept...
P-4 ....
Interview.....
there are lots of if clauses

Thanks

Police Records

I spoke with the immigration officer at the montreal consulate regarding the needed police record checks for the interview. As posted by others the name based or the fingerprint check is acceptable. I asked if the name based check had to come from the RCMP. He said that any Canadian police force was fine as long as the record check was Canada wide. The reason i asked was that some of the city police forces will do a name based check with a mail-in application. In particular the City of Winnipeg Police Force.

Interview Scheduling--when does it happen

I'm EB3 so I'm waiting for visa #s to be current. The general assumption is that EB3 will be current on October 1.

I'm hoping that I may land an October interview in Montreal as a result. When does the NVC know if an interview has been scheduled. Should I wait for a few days (or until the 15th or so) to call, or is anyone aware if they would have October interview information available already?

Thanks in advance!

blondhenge said:
I'm EB3 so I'm waiting for visa #s to be current. The general assumption is that EB3 will be current on October 1.

I'm hoping that I may land an October interview in Montreal as a result. When does the NVC know if an interview has been scheduled. Should I wait for a few days (or until the 15th or so) to call, or is anyone aware if they would have October interview information available already?

Thanks in advance!

I am a little confused about what are you trying to ask

If helps just wanted to share the info NVC & Montreal consulate gave me, when my case was processed.

1) Montreal CP cases, your file does not go to the consulate till the interview is set. NVC sets your interview.
2) The interview is set in the beginning (first 2 weeks) of the month for the following month.

Other advice I will give you guys is feel free to call NVC. Do not feel afraid.

Hope it helps
Good luck

My understanding is that they won't schedule an interview if a visa number is not assigned to your case and probably there will be no visa number available for EB3 before Oct 1. I guess your interview should be scheduled for November.

blondhenge said:

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Al-Rav: Where did you do your medical?

Is there anyone in the list who has done medicals in Windsor? Would it cost the same as Toronto or Montreal? Is it possible to get the results in 1 day? I'm trying to see whether I should go to Montreal few days before the interview or can drive to Windsor or Toronto this month for medical and then fly to Montreal the night before my interview.
Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

[140 --> Attorney Certified CP] vs [140/485 concurrent] vs [140/485 separate] for EB2

[140 --> Attorney Certified CP] vs [140/485 concurrent] vs [140/485 separate] for EB2 from NSC (Nebraska) or CP at Chennai

Gurus, please comment on the following assumptions / hypothesis. Your comments will help those of us obtaining labor certifications and getting ready to file 140. Thanks in advance.

After labor certification, EB2 cases under Nebraska Service Center:

1. 140 --> Attorney Certified CP at Chennai:
Best Case : 1 month for 140 and 2 months for AC CP, Total 3 months.
Average Case : 3 months for 140 and 3 months for AC CP, Total 6 months.
Worst Case : 1 year for 140 and 3 months for AC CP, 15 months.

Risks: Before filing of CP retrogression could occur. Visas could become unavaible.
Advantages: Faster GC. Delays are more deterministic. Even if retrogression occurs for EB 2, new approvals from Dallas BEC are from late 2002 or early 2003. Unlikely retrogression will go back untill then.

2. 140/485 Concurrent or 140/485 Separate:
Best Case : 6 months for GC
Average Case : 18 months for GC
Worst Case : 36 months for GC.

Risks: Could take 3 years
Advantages: If filed concurrent, could avoid the bad effects of retrogression. If NSC really iplements 180 day approval, it will be great. Looks like for new filings this seems to be a possibility.

Hi,
I have an visa interview at Ottowa.
I am an Indian with Canadian permenant resident.
I heard that 30% of approvals have chances of rejection.
I am wondering how the interview process will go?
I appreciate for the details of your experience.
Thanks

Successful CP Interview

Interview Date: 09/13/2005
Consulate: Montreal
Location: Corner of Renee Levesque Blvd and Rue St. Alexandre
Interview Experience:
Spouse and I arrived at Consulate at about 7:30am. There was no line, we were let in by security to a waiting room in the basement. There were 2 applicants ahead of us, one of them had a permanent residency interview. At about 8am, security called us to board the elevator to the 19th floor. We were told that our counter was # 14. As you know, the elevator's back door opens at the 19th floor, so stay right at the back of the elevator when you go in. At about 8:30am , the counter opened and we were told to show our appointment letter. The lady at the counter gave us 2 tokens with the same number. She did not collect the $45 fee from us (it seems that my company must have taken care of it). The others were asked for the fee.

At 9am, our number (matched by the token) came up on the screen with the counter to go to. At the counter, the officer was polite but curt and asked us for the passports, appointment letter, employment letter, 1 token and medical report (no xray needed). He asked me where I worked and what my job was. He also asked us about my wife's canadian police certificate. I told him that since she resided in Canada for <12 months, she did not need one (this is clearly mentioned on the state dept. website). I told him about the website too but he did not buy it. He then said that it's their call if she needed one or not. He then asked us to go back and wait till our number was called again. The whole process took about 5-10 mins.

After 30-45 mins we were called again to another counter in a room (closed door). The officer was extremely polite and a real gentleman. We were asked to take the oath (stating that our statements were true) He queried me on my spouse's Police Cert. I gave him the same story and asked him to take a look at the website. He did just that and returned saying that I was correct. He did say that the website info conflicted with what was written in the foreign affairs manual. He showed me the printouts too and then said that he was going to drop that requirement since the website did show incorrect information. He also asked me about my employer and what I was going to do. In the process, he returned our original birth cert, marriage cert. Not many questions or any grilling. We were then told to take our fingerprints (L and R index fingers). He then congratulated us and gave us a note to come back the next day at 2:30pm. I think we were out by 10:30 or 11am.

Next day: We arrived at the consulate at 2pm and were asked to go to the 19th floor after security clearance. The counter opened at 2:30pm and the lady called us one by one. We were given our passports back (with the I-551 visa) and a yellow envelope (1 for each applicant).The yellow envelope was to be given to the officer at the POE (do not open it).

At about 5pm , we reached Champlain, NY which was our POE. The officer at the border took our passports and asked us to go to immigration. At the counter, the lady opened the yellow envelopes and went through it. Mostly routine stuff. She asked us for our address to mail the card to. She did not know when we would get our cards. We were asked to take our fingerprints (R index only) and sign on an blank form. Our passports were then stamped and sent us on our way to freedom :) She said that we could travel in/out of the US 1 year from the date on the stamp, which was 09/14/05 (the visa has a validity of only 6 months).

I also asked the lady about the documents needed to move our personal stuff from Canada to US. She asked us to just write on a sheet of paper what was in the truck, no. of boxes etc. This is only if you are moving it on your own.

On the 17th, we drove a u-haul with our personal stuff to the Washington border post. Presented our visas to the officer and there were no problems at all. He did not want to see the list of items (I offered to show it to him). I also mentioned I had bank drafts with a value of >10k, he said that I don't need to declare it if I did not sign it (I hadn't signed it). So, moving to WA was a breeze.

Lodging at Montreal: Sept/Oct is peak season at MTL. The hotels are horribly expensive. We stayed at Travelodge downtown for 2 nights. The cost was CAD 130/night, taxes incl., for a really small room (the entire bathroom was the size of a standard tub). It's 2 blocks from the consulate. Really close.
I would suggest trying Priceline first for any MTL downtown hotels of the 2*/3* variety. I tried it but was unsuccessful. For priceline hotel bids, try www.betterbidding.com as a guide. Any hotel in downtown MTL is within walking distance to the US consulate.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask or email tarantula@excite.com

Good luck to all !!!

Documents for Interview

Is there any other document beside appointment letter, passport, medicals, photos, $45 fee, and most recent year tax return are required for the interview?

kourosm said:
Is there any other document beside appointment letter, passport, medicals, photos, $45 fee, and most recent year tax return are required for the interview?
Hello all,

I was born in India, and I hold Canadian immigrant, can I schedule my CP interview at Montreal,CA, or I have to go india for interview. And please let me know where to trackt the visa priority dates for consular processing.
I appreciate your reply.
Thanks

question on changing citizenship after gc

Does anyone know if one can change citizenship after getting GC? the reason i am asking is because I lived in Canada for 3 years as a PR and immigrated to US through my spouse who is a Canadian citizen

I currently have Indian citizenship and was wanting to apply for Canadian citizenship. I was told that the process takes around a year with current backlogs and was wondering if anyone on this forum has faced a similar situation and how they went about it.

thanks

Call Your Senator for and Free Sony DSC T7 Camera for Immigrants (No Scam)

Please don't forget to call you senator for Spencer/Keneddy Bill which will progress Visa Dates. They are meeting tomorrow.

Also, This info is posted in another forum but wanted to share this to you folks. First I thought it is spams but I got my free
stuff in mail today.. Also Please Note That SIGNING UP for EFAX is the FASTEST way you can get credit BELOW and you can cancel it in 2 days without paying a penny. Dont' sign up for credit card offers as it is slow to get credit.

Listen to BBC News Clipping @
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/video/40101000/rm/_40101790_ipods_carver22_vi.ram

Please Read Yahoo Financial News
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050822/cgm012.html?.v=18

Now Click Here for Your Free Sony DSC T7 Camera

PS: This is not a scam…and I'm not trying to send you spam. I just thought you might like to know how I got it. If you're not interested, I'm sorry for bothering you.

EB1 confusion

My husband qualified for the EB1 Visa category A (Arts) and we are heading to Montreal for our interview in three weeks time.

I have read that an Affadavit of Support is sometimes needed at the interview. However it is my understanding that this only applies to the Family category and the EB1 is an Employment category - so we don't need that form. Is this correct?

I have also read about the Employment letter being needed at the interview. However EB1 applicants are not required to have a job waiting for them in the States, so my husband does not have to show such a letter. Is this correct?

I see that some people take in Tax forms, that are obviously American tax forms from their strange form numbers. We have never worked in the US, and have only been in Canada for the last 12 years. Are we exempt from showing tax returns?

What about pay stubs - we have already mailed in proof of earnings for the year prior to submitting our original application - so is this needed again?

Last question...our daughter who is immigrating with us, will come to the interview, cross the border to get her passport stamped, and then she will return to Canada to continue her studies at a university there for another 20 months. Is she allowed to do this on her green card?

Anyone knowing all or part of these questions..please help!

Thanks ~

Sundancer

Green card experience at Montreal Consulate with medical probs (Jan/06)

Hi - I thought that since this forum helped us to know what to expect a the consulate, I would add in our experience. We were called to go to the Montreal consulate for our green card appointment in Jan. I was surprised to see that we had to spend about 9 days there. Our planned experience: day 1 - arrive, day 2 - medical appointment, day 3 - wait, day 4 - pick up medical results, day 5 - consulate appointment, day 6 - pick up passports and packages, day 7 - fly out of Montreal. Since there will always be a weekend included in there, add two days, and you have nine days for the appointment and paperwork.

We stayed at Le Square Phillips Hotel and Suites. They were fabulous, right downtown and one block from the consulate and three blocks from Medisis, so we didn't require a car. They are also suites, big enough for a family which is great if you are hanging out in the hotel with two kids!

Our medicals (two adults and two kids) took 2.5 hours. The kids were easy, the adults got two immunizations - we had not records - and a chest X-ray each. Two days later we picked up sealed medical envelopes and took them to the consulate. We got there about 1/2 an hour before our appointment and there was a small line-up outside. Have your passports and appointment letter ready for security. Do not give them anything else. Empty pockets are preferable, as you have to empty them anyhow for security, and you have to give up your cellphones and IPAQ's etc. You will get them back when you leave.

I have nothing to add to the other records of experience in the consulate - it is exactly as described by the other people in this post. You get a number, wait 1/2 an hour, hand in forms/pictures etc., wait again, answer a very few questions (for work related immigration) such as how long working, verify address, etc. It was really simple.

In our case, we had a glitch. Medisys gave one of us a "failing grade" on our medicals as they saw something indicative on lung damage on an x-ray. This is in a family member who is the picture of health and does not travel to third-world countries, and has never had tuberculosis. Needless to say, it was quite a surprise. In our case, the officer continued with each of our forms and completed all the paperwork which would allow us to go. The officer then retained our passports and gave us another sheet of paper that would allow us to come back when we had more medical information (in place of our original appointment letter). The officer said that this happens quite often and did not appear at all surprised by it.

Medisys forwarded us to a chest clinic in a Montreal hospital for additional tests. The clinic would not take same day appointments, so we made one for the next day. However, since we had nothing to do, we went down to the clinic anyhow just to see if we could get in. They were very nice and fit us in that day. More chest X-rays showed the same problem and our family member was given an injection which, if they had TB, would show a reaction in three days. As such, we had to change all our arrangements (flights/hotel) and wait an additional three days for a reaction. In our case, no reaction ensued. The next appointment with the chest clinic showed no evidence of TB, but still some lung damage, and a letter was given to my husband to take to Medisys with that information. Medisys then had the doctor write a note recommending U.S. follow-up of this condition - whatever it might be. The doctors were only concerned that nothing my family member had would "pose a health risk to US citizens" (which is a bit funny because we've lived in the US for quite a few years now on visas). Any other problems would be OK, with a recommendation for follow-up in the US. We got the the final appointment for the chest clinic, literally ran to Medisys and got the doctor's note and then ran to the consulate to deliver it, all before 11 am which was the consulate's deadline if you want to get your passports the next day (we were now in quite a rush to leave).

My advice if you get into this type of situation is to take your own files from place to place (the doctors will courier them but that is slower) and set up appointments in advance with Medisys so they are prepared to write that doctor's note quickly. Also, don't assume that everyone's health is A-OK even if it seems to be. You need to be able to be flexible to change flights, etc. All in all, the doctors at the clinic and at Medisys were great.

Had it not been for the medical problem, the consulate processing would have taken about 2.5 hours, as did the medical for a family of 4. The processing at the border (Montreal airport) took about 1/2 an hour including wait time (about 10 minutes of actual fingerprinting, etc.). The hardest part was actually security at the consulate!

Good luck everyone!

Getting Ready for Interview in April in Montreal, is it?

Hi,

I am enclosing below details of my case and subsequently some quick questions. Correct guidance will be appreciated.

Currently on L1 status
Filed for GC through lawyer for consular processing in November 2004
Received approval of I-140 in February 2005
My case becomes current as per April newsletter (EB1, India born)

Now here are my questions:

1. How much time will it take for my lawyer to receive the packet and interview date?

2. How much time do I have to work for after receiving my GC with my current employer?

3. Once I receive my GC, do I have to file for adjustment of status, I-485. My lawyer says :no."

4. Can I take leave of absence from my current employer and join another company?

Thanks guys. Not a problem if you can't answer all questions, but any experiences / answers would help.

- AJ

Case completed - what does it mean?

Hello -

I don't know much, so your feedback will be greatly appreciated.

The NVC says that my case is completed, as of March 7. However I have not got any packet 4. I have applied for consular processing in Montreal.

What does case completed mean? Is my application approved?
By when can I expect the interview?

Thanks

O_C