• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marriage after been selected Q/A

Yeah, well Simon said stuff I thought but didn't want to say. But seeing as you took it positively in the spirit in which it was meant, I will also add one thing: if you are going to marry someone' it should be someone who will fight for you, not be too scared to. Best of luck with what happens.

Yeah, well Simon said stuff I thought but didn't want to say. But seeing as you took it positively in the spirit in which it was meant, I will also add one thing: if you are going to marry someone' it should be someone who will fight for you, not be too scared to. Best of luck with what happens.

A "father figure" can sometimes get away with saying things.... :cool:

Thank you very much for everything that you said Susie and Simon :) I guess everything will work out as it is supposed to, in the end. Thank you for your support, it means a lot, really! :)

Hi all,

It seems that on this forum there is a common axiom that you must get married before submitting a DS-260, or that if you get married before the interview after submitting DS-260, the DS-260 must be unlocked and updated with information about the marriage. From what I read about follow-to-join, that might not be necessary. I don't know whether I've misunderstood follow-to-join wrong, or perhaps it's just that including a spouse on the DS-260 is less hassle than using follow-to-join?

I read on immihelp.com that:

"If you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits....In this case you may simply notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for an immigrant visa....
Your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if your relationship still exists and...you immigrated on diversity lottery" (apologies - I am unable to post a link because I'm a new forum user, but if you google the quote, you'll find the page)

Keeping in mind that you won't actually become a lawful permanent resident until you use the visa to enter the US, or in the case of an AOS application, actually adjust the status (which I assume does not happen until the day of the interview at the earliest).

So - if I am single and filled out a DS-260, and then get married even as late as a few days before my interview, and then become a lawful permanent resident when I receive my visa following the interview, then it seems my spouse could come to the US on a follow-to-join benefit. It's also true I told the complete truth on DS-260 because at the time of filling it out I was single. Of course I would tell them about the recent marriage in the interview as well so that I am completely transparent about the whole process.

Is this accurate?

Thank you for your help.

Hi all,

It seems that on this forum there is a common axiom that you must get married before submitting a DS-260, or that if you get married before the interview after submitting DS-260, the DS-260 must be unlocked and updated with information about the marriage. From what I read about follow-to-join, that might not be necessary. I don't know whether I've misunderstood follow-to-join wrong, or perhaps it's just that including a spouse on the DS-260 is less hassle than using follow-to-join?

I read on immihelp.com that:

"If you were married before you became a lawful permanent resident and your spouse did not physically accompany you to the U.S., your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits....In this case you may simply notify a U.S. Consulate that you are a lawful permanent resident so that your spouse can apply for an immigrant visa....
Your spouse may be eligible for following-to-join benefits if your relationship still exists and...you immigrated on diversity lottery" (apologies - I am unable to post a link because I'm a new forum user, but if you google the quote, you'll find the page)

Keeping in mind that you won't actually become a lawful permanent resident until you use the visa to enter the US, or in the case of an AOS application, actually adjust the status (which I assume does not happen until the day of the interview at the earliest).

So - if I am single and filled out a DS-260, and then get married even as late as a few days before my interview, and then become a lawful permanent resident when I receive my visa following the interview, then it seems my spouse could come to the US on a follow-to-join benefit. It's also true I told the complete truth on DS-260 because at the time of filling it out I was single. Of course I would tell them about the recent marriage in the interview as well so that I am completely transparent about the whole process.

Is this accurate?

Thank you for your help.

Yes we know about the follow to join option, however it is much more of a hassle and it's often not applicable DV selectees processing CP. What we suggest in this forum is what we consider to be the easiest way to add a spouse if one gets married after being selected.

For DV based cases, FTJ is applicable if the main selectee is already based in the US, in this case the main selectee processes AOS and the derivative(s) use FTJ through CP. Also because DV is time limited, FTJ benefit is no longer available once the applicable fiscal year is over.

Thanks mom - that's really helpful! What do you mean by "it's often not applicable DV selectees processing CP"? Do you mean if the Charge Point is outside the US instead of AOS?

Thanks mom - that's really helpful! What do you mean by "it's often not applicable DV selectees processing CP"? Do you mean if the Charge Point is outside the US instead of AOS?

CP = Consular Processing = the route for someone who is not currently based in the US. For DV cases, the FTJ option is intended for selectees processing AOS like I explained in my previous response.