• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marriage after been selected Q/A

Ulong

Hello to everybody! I was single when i enterd the dv15 and was selected, my cn number is eu00014XXX. I've got married 2 months ago and my wedding was religious wedding so my wife and i did not officially registered it at that time. We recently applied for marriage certificate but in our country u have to wait for it around 30 days to get it in your hands. I am planning to submit the DS260 as soon as i get the certificate. So my questions are: 1. How far can it delay our interview with my cn?
2. If we get an interview, as fairly new family, what kind of proof of marriage the consulate would expect from us?
3. will it be required for us to bring translator? because my wife is not fluent in english and other official language of my country.( she only speaks in our native language)
Thank you guys in advance!

Hello to everybody! I was single when i enterd the dv15 and was selected, my cn number is eu00014XXX. I've got married 2 months ago and my wedding was religious wedding so my wife and i did not officially registered it at that time. We recently applied for marriage certificate but in our country u have to wait for it around 30 days to get it in your hands. I am planning to submit the DS260 as soon as i get the certificate. So my questions are: 1. How far can it delay our interview with my cn?
2. If we get an interview, as fairly new family, what kind of proof of marriage the consulate would expect from us?
3. will it be required for us to bring translator? because my wife is not fluent in english and other official language of my country.( she only speaks in our native language)
Thank you guys in advance!

1. You can expect to be interviewed around 3-5 months after you submit your forms - so that is still quite ok with timeline.
2. They will ask for proof of the marriage ceremony itself, photos of the service with guests and so on. They may also ask for proof that your relationship existed already when you entered the lottery (or at least when you won), so things such as records of trips you may have taken together, emails between you, shared bills and so on.
3. THat should not be necessary, you can interpret for her. It would help if she could learn a few basics of English - she will need that in the USA anyway.

Biju, you can send a mail to KCC to unlock your DS 260 form and then re-enter your spouse details......in your interview you must have supporting document for marriage and the date of marriage should be after you have applied the DV and the DS 260 form

Considering that my CN is EU34,4**, and that Im expecting my interview in June or July, when could be the last possible time for me to unlock my application, so that my interview date doesnt change? Im asking this because I have a boyfriend of 3+ years and would like him to come with me, but he has not decided on it yet. I do not want my interview to be delayed because of his inability to decide, because my CN is quite high and I do not want to miss my chance.

Considering that my CN is EU34,4**, and that Im expecting my interview in June or July, when could be the last possible time for me to unlock my application, so that my interview date doesnt change? Im asking this because I have a boyfriend of 3+ years and would like him to come with me, but he has not decided on it yet. I do not want my interview to be delayed because of his inability to decide, because my CN is quite high and I do not want to miss my chance.

You cannot add a boyfriend as a derivative regardless of how long you've both been together.

I am perfectly aware of that, and since the name of the thread is Marriage after being selected I did not think that it was necessary to write that if he decides to go, we will get married. I would appreciate if you would answer my question.

I am perfectly aware of that, and since the name of the thread is Marriage after being selected I did not think that it was necessary to write that if he decides to go, we will get married. I would appreciate if you would answer my question.

Yes the name of the thread is 'Marriage after being selected', however if you simply state 'I have a boyfriend of 3+ years and would like him to come with me' without saying anything about getting married, don't assume people know you plan on doing that!

I am sorry if I sounded rude in my previous post. This must be a cultural difference thing, since where I come from, people would know what I meant, so I just assumed everyone else would.
If anyone has any helpful answers to my question, I would be very grateful :)

I am sorry if I sounded rude in my previous post. This must be a cultural difference thing, since where I come from, people would know what I meant, so I just assumed everyone else would.
If anyone has any helpful answers to my question, I would be very grateful :)

It isn't a cultural thing, it's a "let's be precise thing". We are dealing with people from all around the world, with many different understandings of the word marriage. So it is best to be precise. And yes, you did sound a little rude in the previous post so well done for apologising.

Now, as for the question... It is hard to be precise about the last possible time to submit your new dS260 for your husband ( and make changes to yours) there is a certain amount of processing required for background checks etc - and dat the moment they have been taking around 3 months for that processing. However, I expect that 3 months to improve. So if you want to gamble on my assumption that processing speed will improve you could assume that you could unlock and submit the forms 3 or 4 months before your anticipated interview month (you need around 6 weeks between the 2NL and the beginning of the interview month).

So, if you think you will be current in June (2NL in mid April) then you should submit no later than mid/late February. Mid January would be safer.

Thank you very much for your answer, and I apologize once more for sounding rude. For me it would not be a problem to get married as soon as possible, but due to family issues my boyfriend is still unable to decide (his parents are strictly against him going to the USA, and he is not very good at confrontation). So I guess I just wanted to know how much time he has to decide, since I am still hoping that he will have the guts to confront his family.

I just went to check on my DS260 form, and under "IV application" it says "completed". Does that mean that my application has not been processed yet? Also, I can still click on the "add applicant" button - is my application not locked, meaning that I can add a member to it without having to consult KCC?

Thank you very much for your answer, and I apologize once more for sounding rude. For me it would not be a problem to get married as soon as possible, but due to family issues my boyfriend is still unable to decide (his parents are strictly against him going to the USA, and he is not very good at confrontation). So I guess I just wanted to know how much time he has to decide, since I am still hoping that he will have the guts to confront his family.

I don't want to be too tactless here, but perceived rudeness and when to unlock the DS260 seem to me to be absolutely the least of your problems. Immigration is a highly stressful experience at the best of times, and this sounds like far from the ideal circumstance.

I don't want to be too tactless here, but perceived rudeness and when to unlock the DS260 seem to me to be absolutely the least of your problems. Immigration is a highly stressful experience at the best of times, and this sounds like far from the ideal circumstance.

Yeah, they are, but since the situation is the way it is, all I can do is prepare for all the scenarios. I accepted the fact that I will probably go to the USA alone, but as one can't just stop hoping, I wanted to have all the information if and when he decides. :(

I just went to check on my DS260 form, and under "IV application" it says "completed". Does that mean that my application has not been processed yet? Also, I can still click on the "add applicant" button - is my application not locked, meaning that I can add a member to it without having to consult KCC?

Completed means you submitted it - it doesn't refer to whether they processed it or not. If you were to get married (January is probably the deadline for the marriage), you would use the add an applicant feature, but you would still need to unlock since your own details will have changed.

Completed means you submitted it - it doesn't refer to whether they processed it or not. If you were to get married (January is probably the deadline for the marriage), you would use the add an applicant feature, but you would still need to unlock since your own details will have changed.

Thank you for your answer Simon, and also thank you for your blog, it is extremely helpful :)

OK - time for some fatherly and well meant observations...

I have to agree with Susie. Not everyone has it within them what it takes to leave your home country and start a new life. It takes guts. Honestly someone who struggles to handle a disagreement with their parents is going to struggle with the enormity of everything else needed in moving to the USA. I don't mean that as a criticism of your boyfriend - people are just different. Now - if you have the guts and fight in you to make it (and you clearly do as demonstrated by your "attitude" earlier :p), do you have enough to carry a reluctant partner along for the ride too???

Lastly, if you have "accepted the fact that I will probably go to the USA alone" that means in some part of your brain you are already thinking you can move on without him. That does not bode well for your marriage - marriage is tough, but I couldn't imagine making it if I was prepared to let it go so easily right at the very beginning.

Thank you for the advice, it really means a lot to me. Everything you said is true, and I think that in my heart I know it - it's just so hard to decide to let go. My boyfriend and I are great together, I am certain that we would have a good marriage, if it wasn't for this huge difference between us - ambition. I am too ambitious to stay in Bosnia, where I most likely wouldn't have a job, and be a housewife. As for him, he is satisfied with his life here, and doesn't feel that he needs to move anywhere... Out of two choices that I have, both are wrong. On one side, I might end up losing my love, and on the other, I risk being unhappy if I miss this amazing opportunity that was given to me. So, no winning situation :)