• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marital status

Oh, I have one more question: Will my wife and myself be interviewed at the same time. She is actually the principal applicant, and while she is perfectly fluent at English, my English is better (specially in any tense situation).

So I guess my questions are these:
  1. Will we be interviewed together?
  2. Will I be able to do the majority of the speaking or should she do it or should we both do equal amounts of speaking?
Thanks guys

@usamommy2015 Just a quick question regarding your reply - do I understand that they will question her alone without me at first?

You and your wife will face the CO together, most of the questions will be directed at her. You will just be standing beside her like an observer :p

LOLOLOL @Sm1smom !!! Yes biltong is seriously ADDICTIVE. It's different to jerky in that jerky is smoked and ours is cured first (same as Palma ham and salami!) and then dried, usually with either heat light bulbs or fans or both. If you eat cold cuts like salami then you have no reason to be squeamish of biltong. :D

Give it a try. It's divine. :)

Oh, I have one more question: Will my wife and myself be interviewed at the same time. She is actually the principal applicant, and while she is perfectly fluent at English, my English is better (specially in any tense situation).

So I guess my questions are these:
  1. Will we be interviewed together?
  2. Will I be able to do the majority of the speaking or should she do it or should we both do equal amounts of speaking?
Thanks guys

Principal applicant is the main interviewee but (assuming your wife is Canadian and/or French is her other language) interviews are (almost) always offered in the official language of the country you are interviewing in as well as English.

They will first question only her and then maybe ask you some questions. The Principal applicant is asked most questions.
Let me ask you what is this biltong South Africans keep talking about here. Looks like rotten meat to me and people pay thousands for it?
"Thousands"? Lol, hardly. If you're talking zim$, maybe! Cheaper than jerky. And no it's not rotten, the point of it is that it's preserved :rolleyes: And I'm no great biltong fan (sacrilege! I don't watch rugby either!) but it's still 1000x better than jerky.

My mom did it too a few times!! Disgusting what the old folk did back then...

Still reeling from the fact you're not a billies fan!! I'd give my right arm for a 1 kg sack of moist sliced Bolton right now! :D

I received around 2kg Bilton two months ago,from my in-laws, it was baie lekker :D

@sussieQQQ @Britsimon I GOT a question, my wife is going to visit her parents in September, she is going though Heathrow, does she need a visa if maybe she wants to visit London, cause her connecting flight will take 8h?

I received around 2kg Bilton two months ago,from my in-laws, it was baie lekker :D

@sussieQQQ @Britsimon I GOT a question, my wife is going to visit her parents in September, she is going though Heathrow, does she need a visa if maybe she wants to visit London, cause her connecting flight will take 8h?

Well, I'm neither Susie nor Simon, but I think I know the answer to your question :p

The need for a visa to visit the UK completely depends on your wife's citizenship/the passport she's traveling on. The GC has no bearing on the determination for the need for a UK visa or not. If your wife needed a visa to enter the UK prior to getting her U.S. GC, then she still needs the visa now. The GC only allows for passing through without the need to for a transit visa.

Well, I'm neither Susie nor Simon, but I think I know the answer to your question :p

The need for a visa to visit the UK completely depends on your wife's citizenship/the passport she's traveling on. The GC has no bearing on the determination for the need for a UK visa or not. If your wife needed a visa to enter the UK prior to getting her U.S. GC, then she still needs the visa now. The GC only allows for passing through without the need to for a transit visa.
thanks mom :)

To be honest - 8 hours isn't very long.

Heathrow is a big airport - and getting through the airport to get to the trains after picking up bags etc would take about 1 to 2 hours if you don't know where you are going. Then you get on a train. There is an express, but I can see the journey in to London taking an hour. So then she pops up in London - has 2 to 3 hours max and must rush back to the airport for the connecting flight. This is after a red eye flight. Yuk.

Better yet to arrange access to the arrivals lounge, take a shower and a quick nap....

If she's SA, she doesn't need a visa for transit if she has her green card, but she will need one if she wants to pass through border control.

To be honest - 8 hours isn't very long.

Heathrow is a big airport - and getting through the airport to get to the trains after picking up bags etc would take about 1 to 2 hours if you don't know where you are going. Then you get on a train. There is an express, but I can see the journey in to London taking an hour. So then she pops up in London - has 2 to 3 hours max and must rush back to the airport for the connecting flight. This is after a red eye flight. Yuk.

Better yet to arrange access to the arrivals lounge, take a shower and a quick nap....

Ha! Have done a London day in transit a couple of times - you don't need to collect luggage as it will be checked through. So the main issue is the queue at immigration, once through that the heathrow express is pricey but quick...