• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Marital status

Hi All

I have recently won the green card lottery. When I originally entered the e-dv, the instructions were very clear about stating you are unmarried when in fact you are married. Since I sponsored my fiancé under the common law spouse relationship in Canada (I am a Canadian permanent resident), I decided to err on the side of caution and I stated my marital status as married and listed my partner's details. Now that I have won, I am reading more about the process and I am scared I will be disqualified for misrepresentation.

To be sure, I am going to marry my fiancé legally ASAP (we will be married before our interview), but what can I do to increase my probably of not getting refused? At the time I entered the lottery, I had already sponsored my fiancé as a common law spouse and I have plenty of proof.

Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

There are conflicting opinions here.
Some are that incorrect marital status is automatic disqualification.
Others (including me) believe that leaving off a dependent is automatic disqualification, but adding in someone - especially if it is the someone you end up presenting for a visa - isn't.
So... Is the visa fee worth you taking the chance to find out? (If so please report back!!)
I think that if you have "official" evidence of her being a common law spouse that will definitely help your case.

Hi SusieQQQ

The visa fee is definitely worth the chance. The money is not the issue (although I am not rich by any means).

I have a job from a fortune 500 company in the USA that will be more than happy for me to work at their headquarters should I get a green card. Everything else works out perfectly (regarding the requirements, my education and ability to support myself cannot be faulted).

Just this one thing that I mis-interpreted.

I'd go for it then in your shoes...
And please come back and tell us how it went so we have real evidence to quote next time :)

Just updating for "Baz" - I hope :)

He checked this with Wolfsdorf today. A lawyer makes money from taking safe or even marginal cases. If they think something is hopeless they will often not bother with the case. Wolfsdorf responded with a one liner that this case will "most likely" be rejected.

Based on the glint of possibility that "most likely" presents Baz is leaning toward trying his luck and will update us as things go along. I think that is a worthwhile gamble because unlike the other case being ENDLESSLY bought up recently, this is the only mistake on an otherwise genuine sounding case.

Hi Simon and Others

I promise to regularly update this thread about this topic. For anyone who is reading this, all my other credentials are absolutely faultless, its just this one chink the armour (see initial explanation)

Hi SusieQQQ and Simon (and others)

Chatting to my fiance last night, we wanted to ask your guys opinion about contacting the KCC and/or the Montreal Consular Office and ask them this question directly? Unfortunately, you cannot ask an anonymous question, but what do you guys think?

Also, on the off chance you guys are going to be in beautiful Vancouver this Sat, I am about to get married - so come to our civil ceremony. The big wedding was supposed to be in Spain (and it is breaking my fiance's heart that we are doing it away from her relatives), but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Chatting to my fiance last night, we wanted to ask your guys opinion about contacting the KCC and/or the Montreal Consular Office and ask them this question directly? Unfortunately, you cannot ask an anonymous question, but what do you guys think?

Also, on the off chance you guys are going to be in beautiful Vancouver this Sat, I am about to get married - so come to our civil ceremony. The big wedding was supposed to be in Spain (and it is breaking my fiance's heart that we are doing it away from her relatives), but sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do :)

Neither KCC nor the embassy will answer that question. Part of your strategy relies on the human factor on the day. Don't make it a bigger deal by communicating with KCC. All they do is attach a note to the case of what you have told them which makes it harder for a nice person to overlook this one small blemish...

Totally understand where you are at with the Spaniards wedding. I went through the same thing with my Spanish wife because we ran off to marry without a bunch of family who couldn't be civil to each other for a few hours. The wedding was awesome. My suegro has never forgiven me. That suits me just fine.

Neither KCC nor the embassy will answer that question. Part of your strategy relies on the human factor on the day. Don't make it a bigger deal by communicating with KCC. All they do is attach a note to the case of what you have told them which makes it harder for a nice person to overlook this one small blemish...

Agree with this.

Enjoy the wedding!

Ha ha Simon - I think my in laws (suegros) will forgive me.

Susie, do you still visit South Africa? I have not been back in years, but I get really homesick at times.

Just like others have said, no sense in providing them with more ammunition that could be used against something that might have gone unnoticed. You have evidence of your common-law relationship, which formed your decision to state your marital status as "married", even though the U.S. immigration system technically does not consider common law relationships as marriage. You should be fine.

Aww! Wedding in my beautiful hometown of Vancouver, (getting nostalgic here :confused:). Wishing you a lovely ceremony.

@Sm1smom if you are from Vancouver, then let me tell you where we are going to get married: At the teahouse in Stanley park. I can't ask for a more beautiful setting. All we need now is good weather...

Oh, I have one more question: Will my wife and myself be interviewed at the same time. She is actually the principal applicant, and while she is perfectly fluent at English, my English is better (specially in any tense situation).

So I guess my questions are these:
  1. Will we be interviewed together?
  2. Will I be able to do the majority of the speaking or should she do it or should we both do equal amounts of speaking?
Thanks guys

Oh, I have one more question: Will my wife and myself be interviewed at the same time. She is actually the principal applicant, and while she is perfectly fluent at English, my English is better (specially in any tense situation).

So I guess my questions are these:
  1. Will we be interviewed together?
  2. Will I be able to do the majority of the speaking or should she do it or should we both do equal amounts of speaking?
Thanks guys
They will first question only her and then maybe ask you some questions. The Principal applicant is asked most questions.
Let me ask you what is this biltong South Africans keep talking about here. Looks like rotten meat to me and people pay thousands for it?

@usamommy2015 Biltong is kinda like beef jerky, except it tastes SOOOO much nicer. Any true South African loves Biltong, its basically dried meat that has been treated and cured in spices and vinegar.

@Sm1smom if you are from Vancouver, then let me tell you where we are going to get married: At the teahouse in Stanley park. I can't ask for a more beautiful setting. All we need now is good weather...

The Tea House at Stanley park? :eek::eek: OMG! Lovely, lovely setting - wish I could be there. Fingers crossed for you guys for an equally lovely weather, and no famous (or is it infamous?) Vancouver drizzles!!