July 2011 Filers

So we had the interview today...and APPROVED!
I had the e-mail and txt even before I got home! It was far easier than I had envisioned...more details coming soon...
thank you to Rok8man, MrAman, Ananga, and everyone else on this thread who was my support during this process...
All the very best to everyone who is yet to complete the process...and like I've said before I look forward to everyone's company on this thread 1 year 9 months from now :)

That is very very good news. We have our trifecta now. Time to break out the alcoholic beverages for sure. I am very happy that your process was just as smooth and you had no issues with your interview. Now sit back and relax and enjoy the confusing status messages you will receive for the next few days. You will have your green card within less than two weeks. :D

Congratulations!! Where was CHYBA when we needed him to give you some heartache?? Anyway we're waiting for the write up.

So we had the interview today...and APPROVED!
I had the e-mail and txt even before I got home! It was far easier than I had envisioned...more details coming soon...
thank you to Rok8man, MrAman, Ananga, and everyone else on this thread who was my support during this process...
All the very best to everyone who is yet to complete the process...and like I've said before I look forward to everyone's company on this thread 1 year 9 months from now :)

Congratulations!! Where was CHYBA when we needed him to give you some heartache?? Anyway we're waiting for the write up.

Dont use that word here..... he might show up for yours!!!!!!!! Hes the boogeyman that none of us like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview and Approval!

Hello friends,

I had my interview today and my green card got approved!! We got to the USCIS bldg. 10 min before the interview. We waited about 40 mins and then were called in.
The IO was nice and looked very serious. He started the conversation with appreciating the fact that my wife and I both have PhDs. He said we have bright future. After swearing us in, he asked for joint documents. He did not ask the I485 questions. We gave statements from Joint savings account, shared credit card, apartment lease, and family phone plan. He wanted more documents which we did not have....and I started to get nervous. He wanted shared checking accounts and life insurances where we are beneficiaries to each other's policies. I was scared that he will ask me to fax those documents but he did not do that. He asked for 2 pictures from our courthouse wedding. Within 15 mins he said that he trusts us and is going to approve our application!! He explained the rules about removing the conditions and walked us out!!! That's it!!! He said that if we provide with enough documents next time, we might not even have to go for another interview in two years. We are a newly married couple so we do not have many things together yet, but I am sure withing the next two years we will get more documents.

Thanks for all your help guys. Hope you all get approved easily. Best wishes!!!

Congrats dino117! I'm happy for you. This is my first time posting in this thread but have been following it since July ( as an unregistered user )

Congrats to everyone else as well.

Just Realized Something...

Congrats Dino, let's keep the July train going :)

I just realized something, the IO never took my I-94 and while he verbally told me I was now a Permanent Resident and that he had approved my case, and I recieved the txt/e-mail confirming that card production had been ordered even before we got back home, I wasn't sure if still having my I-94 would have any impact?
Also, did you guys get your appointment letter back? I didn't

Congrats Dino, let's keep the July train going :)

I just realized something, the IO never took my I-94 and while he verbally told me I was now a Permanent Resident and that he had approved my case, and I recieved the txt/e-mail confirming that card production had been ordered even before we got back home, I wasn't sure if still having my I-94 would have any impact?
Also, did you guys get your appointment letter back? I didn't

The first thing our IO did was take out the I94. He then asked for the EAD card which we didnt have. One thing he wasnt too happy about was that my passport pic was stapled to my Naturalization Certification. I told him I didnt do it. It was done in Indiana. He immediately took it out and said nothing is to be stapled to that cert. He didnt return our interview letter as well. We made several copies of it and we have those as souvenirs. You still owe us a write up buddy...... same length as adeboi or maybe longer :D

This one is for Dino: We are newlyweds as well and we didnt have as many things to show for joint accounts as she didnt have an SSN card so I couldnt add her to many things. The IO was happy with what we had brought for the interview. Glad it all worked out for you guys.

Io kept my I 94 but not the interview letter.
Mantikos chill for a bit. Give it at least ten days before you worry. By now we know USCIS isn't consistent on protocol
Congrats dino and others for green card approval.

Mantikos chill for a bit. Give it at least ten days before you worry. By now we know USCIS isn't consistent on protocol

Haha thanks MrAman, I was just concerned about what to do with the I94 when I travel, I think my best bet would be to do an InfoPass session at the USCIS office after I recieve my GC and EAD and ask them if they would like to keep my I-94 :p

They kept both of ours.... goes to prove what mraman says about them being inconsistent... I didnt see the reason why they had to keep our interview letter....

They kept both of ours.... goes to prove what mraman says about them being inconsistent... I didnt see the reason why they had to keep our interview letter....

I agree, no reason to keep the IL they should stamp and return as evidence of attendance. Inconsistent indeed, but the I-94 must be returned to USCIS, otherwise I might have issues when I re-enter. I will book an InfoPass after the GC is in hand :)

The first thing our IO did was take out the I94. He then asked for the EAD card which we didnt have. One thing he wasnt too happy about was that my passport pic was stapled to my Naturalization Certification. I told him I didnt do it. It was done in Indiana. He immediately took it out and said nothing is to be stapled to that cert. He didnt return our interview letter as well. We made several copies of it and we have those as souvenirs. You still owe us a write up buddy...... same length as adeboi or maybe longer :D

This one is for Dino: We are newlyweds as well and we didnt have as many things to show for joint accounts as she didnt have an SSN card so I couldnt add her to many things. The IO was happy with what we had brought for the interview. Glad it all worked out for you guys.

ROFLMAO I owe you guys one, don't know if I can top the epic write up that adeboi provided us... :)

Write Up - Our Interview Details

Please ref to adeboi’s document list from Page 22, that is EXACTLY what we followed while assembling our binder.

So anyhow, our appointment was at 1:00 pm so my spouse and I took the day off (cause you really can’t say when you’ll get called in and how long it takes). Being a little excited we managed to get ready and find ourselves at the USCIS office at 12:00 noon, a whole hour before our scheduled appointment (and knowing the USCIS god knows how many hours before we were actually called in).

*begin sarcasm* The very ‘courteous’ guard at the door first greeted us like dignified human beings there on legitimate business and informed us in a cool, calm and collected manner that we would have to return in 30 minutes before he would let us in*end sarcasm*

Considering we had 30 minutes to kill, we drove down to the nearest Starbucks and I got the opportunity to introduce my wife to seasonal specialty Pumpkin Spice Latte. We enjoyed our coffee, read the news, checked Facebook, tweeted, checked e-mail and before we knew it the 30 minute break was up. We wrapped up at Starbucks and headed back to the USCIS office. We walk in and instead of the

*begin sarcasm* the very ‘courteous’ guard we got a less courteous guard who talked down to us and let us in *end sarcasm*

My wife walks in through the metal detector, no problems, I begin walking through and of course ‘BEEP BEEP BEEP’ like my middle name was ‘Ironman’. (Later I joked with my wife that it wasn't a metal detector but an immigrant detector :p )

*begin sarcasm* another very ‘courteous’ guard then requests me to raise my arms and stand straight and begins to sweep me with a hand held detector, the whole while sincerely thanking me for my cooperation and apologizing for the inconvenience *end sarcasm*

Before I could thank the guard she point to the second floor without saying a word so assuming that was where the Promised Land was we faithfully headed up the stairs. Once up there I handed the appointment letter to the lady at the desk and dutifully waited for someone to head out and mispronounce the crap out of our last name (yes, in day and age my wife changed her last name!).
I noticed that the couple who walked in with us at noon was just about walking in toward the interview area around the time we made it up the stairs. Using my extraordinary deductive powers I deduced that we would be called in around 1:15 or so and sure enough a short tanned guy comes out at around 1:17 and butchers what sounds like our last name to death. Having lived through 8 years of people in the US assuming my last name has an accent because it is not a Anglo name and is not pronounced as it is spelled I stood up and we started walking toward the gentleman.

We exchanged hellos and he guided us toward his office, while we were walking he asked me where I was from, and I answer “India” and then he asked my wife where she was from and she replied with “Mexico” and he let out a loud ‘hmmmm’. Since I was confused about the ethnicity of the IO I made sure I slowed down and noted his name from the door before we headed into the office. His name removed any and all doubts about his ethnicity. He asked us how we met and my wife responded, he then asked her who she met from my family, and then asked me the same about her family. Asked where her parents lived and asked if we had a huge Catholic ceremony. We explained our travel plans and the fact that our multiple wedding ceremonies are to follow. He warned me about going to Mexico and said ‘I wouldn’t do it sir, I just wouldn’t’. He never swore us in, never asked us any I485 questions, nothing!

We had small talk and probably spent the next 10 minutes cracking jokes back and forth and having a regular small talk conversation. He then asked my wife to apply for a job there considering she is tri-lingual. He then said ok, I am approving you, I have no doubt this is a legitimate marriage, do you have any more joint bills I can add, I offered him some of the stuff we took with us (he never looked at my beautifully arranged binder or its contents, nor our pics). He then clicked a few buttons, explained the conditions and then thanked us for our time, and walked us out. We had the approval notices via e-mail and text even before we got home (barely 20 minutes away).

Our binder now rests untouched on my dining table, it was only today while going through it and laughing about the fact it took us longer to assemble it than we were in his office I realized he never took my I-94. In order to avoid any issues while travelling with my GC I will book an InfoPass after I have my GC in hand to hand over my I-94 to USCIS. That’s all folks.
Once again thank you to all my friends and fellow applicants on this board, thank you for everything, thank you for your support and thank for your encouragement. After they lost my file I had lost all hope, you guys kept me level. Thank you all very very much. I promise I will linger here till every July filer is done, and then I will search for “July 2011” in 1 year and 9 months to wipe the dust off this thread so all of us can regroup and go through that process again! And then when we apply for our N400s

P.S. My only advice for those to face an interview, and this is based directly on our small talk.
BODY LANGUAGE is everything, hold hands, sit back and relax, cross your legs if you want to, be calm, don’t sweat, look into their eyes, don’t look away while answering. That is how they detect fakes, that’s what he pointed out we did right and I right away noticed I was sitting all the way back, relaxed, legs crossed, we were holding hands, we (my wife and I) were cracking jokes, making fin of each other, just being ourselves. That’s what convinced him, that’s why he said he knew this was real and not fake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stats

I just noticed that we have 3 times as many posts as the May thread and 5000+ more views thank you all for making this an active thread where we made friends and offer advice and worked through this process together. Remember to search for July 2011 when applying to remove conditions :)

Congrats!!

I just noticed that we have 3 times as many posts as the May thread and 5000+ more views thank you all for making this an active thread where we made friends and offer advice and worked through this process together. Remember to search for July 2011 when applying to remove conditions :)

Congratulations!! I enjoyed your interview write-up!! Best wishes to you! :cool:

Please ref to adeboi’s document list from Page 22, that is EXACTLY what we followed while assembling our binder

Great write up. I am glad the interview went well. I was surprised that the guard turned you away for being so early..... Nonetheless we will see you at the same place in two years and again a year later.... if you go for your citizenship.... Did you see the great big hall room after you come down from the escalator... thats where they hold the Citizenship ceremonies. My brother was the first group to be sworn in as citizens. His journey for citizenship took almost two years and I think they have cut the time in half since then.