July 2011 Filers

Congratulations Adeboi and rok8man!! And thank you so much for such thorough interview description. It's definitely going to help me as a guide to get all our documents gathered. My interview is on Oct. 14th and this week I definitely need to get my folders ready.
To those waiting on feedback or interview, you will hear from them soom and I wish you all the best!

My interview experience

My interview experience: Atlanta GA, September 26, 2011

My USC wife and I reached the USCIS office in Atlanta at 8:20. Out appointment was for 8:45 AM. Interestingly I used to live in that area. I lived 3 minutes away from USICS office for 4.5 years. Phew, it was kinda interesting. I never thought I will go into the building one day. Anyways, it took us about 10 minutes to go through the security, check in, and get our calling number. We were sent to third floor. Just before we were called, a lady IO who looked unfriendly and strict called someone else. We were hoping that she better not be our IO. We waited for about 10 minutes before our number was called. The IO called our number. He was extremely friendly and chilled out. We had a huge bag full of folders and two huge 11x19 collages of pictures from before and after marriage. We also had our wedding album. He was highly impressed and asked us how much we spent on getting that done and how we did it. We told him, we made it at COSTCO. He made us stand up and take the oath to tell the truth. He went through those pictures and then our wedding album. He commented on our civil ceremony pictures and said, its a great view behind the glass. Our ceremony was in Seattle, on 20th floor of the building. He then asked where our wedding was. Did our parents approve it? And was it important for us that our marriage was approved by our parents. We told him, it was very important and was a big deal whether our parents approved it. We told him, our parents were in fact very happy about us getting married. He then asked how we met and how long did we know each other before we got married. Did we live together before we got married. Every 2-3 minutes, he kept telling us that this interview will be done soon. He had not gone through our file at all. He was going through our file as he was talking to us. I noticed that the documents he had with him were all what I had sent originally. They were not photocopies but the actual documents that were filed. I had also sent two collages of pictures too, which he had in the file. He asked me and my wife what we do for a living. He then started with my wife, going through her I-130 and asked the basic questions that were there like what is your date of birth, social security number. Where did you get married. What is your address. He then asked her if she has been married before, if she has sponsored anyone for immigration before. How did she become a citizen, to which she replied through her parents. He then started for i-485 with me and asked for my date of birth, address and all the questions. If I had been married before etc. He asked me for my wife's date of birth. Then I-485 yes/no questions. I replied no for all the questions. He then started to go through all the evidence that was submitted. He said we have submitted plenty and dont need to add anything. To my surprise he was not interesting in seeing any of the original documents. He was more than happy with the photocopies that were submitted. The only original he saw was my passport and that too only the page where I had my I-94. He did not even bother looking at the first page of my passport where I had my picture and details. He said he is already convinced. I told him, my USC wife has changed her last name to mine and gave him both her old and new passports. He was fine with it. I could tell that he would not have asked for even her passport had I not given him. He only looked at the photocopies that he had in his file. He asked for my passport and took my I-94. He asked if I want to submit anything which he can add into his file. He said the documents filed were very nicely organized. When I opened by folder, he said, OMG, you are very well prepared (I really wanted to hear that :p). I gave him, copy of our drivers license showing same address and her new name. I then have him joint car insurance copy, joint savings account statement, joint checking account statement and joint credit card statement. He was almost done by now. He said, he has no hesitation and was really convinced and was going to approve the green card. He said, I should get my green card in 15 days. He said he will go through the file once again and will approve my case later today. He congratulated us and we proceeded to leave. When we were walking out, we talked about how pleasant he was to talk to but also seemed like a laid back guy. Having read other interview experience, I was expecting to get approved in 15 minutes to 2 hrs max. To my disappointment, my case was not approved that day. He told us that he will approve the same day. I kept checking the USCIS website every 2 minutes the next day too. I was so disturbed. At 5:00 PM the next day, my status was updated on USICS website for both I-1485 and I-130. They were both approved. There was an update for I-130 for the first time ever. I also got an email from USCIS. The entire interview took about 35 minutes. It was a very relaxed and chilled out interview experience but a painful one after the interview till I got officially approved on their website and got emails. Thank you everyone for the support. Reading others experience helped me a lot to prepare for my interview. Good luck for those who have their interview coming up. Carry as many documents as you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the world of USCIS, where true consistency is INCONSISTENCY :D !!! They are not usually hallmarks of consistency and efficiency, as we all know :p

Well the inconsistency continues as the STATUS now has been changed to POST DECISION ACTIVITY.

Well considering she applied less than 2 weeks ago, it might not make it to us in time considering the average processing time of 6-8 weeks for a passport

We had the same issue. We called the passport office and changed it to expedite. We had to pay $73.00 extra for it but was totally worth it getting just in time. We got the passport 1 week before the interview.

Well, July Filers tomorrow is the "Big Day" for me & my hubby :)

I have some many mixed emotions: nervous, excited, restless :(

I' am going over all my docs & pics one last time (yeah right, I will probally go over like 100 x's before the
actually interview...lol

PS. Congarts to all who was approved & good luck to the rest of us awaiting

I' am going over all my docs & pics one last time (yeah right, I will probally go over like 100 x's before the
actually interview...lol

Dont be nervous. Just be calm and be yourself as you have seen from the last few examples they have been going very well. Just remember the basic ones like your name, his name, birthdays, how you two met, where did you get married, who was there at your wedding, and show them all your pics and your joint documents. I was preparing my wife for the interview and I ended up messing up on our date but the IO just laughed and he was very personable. I hope you will also get Ralph, the older gentleman for your interview.

Best of luck and let us know how you fare after the interview. I think after Mantikos gets his interview done, all the Dallas peeps should get together and swap the horror stories.

On another note, got both letters today confirming our i130 and i485 forms were approved. The i485 letter was sent out on our interview day and is also a welcome letter.

Dont be nervous. Just be calm and be yourself as you have seen from the last few examples they have been going very well. Just remember the basic ones like your name, his name, birthdays, how you two met, where did you get married, who was there at your wedding, and show them all your pics and your joint documents. I was preparing my wife for the interview and I ended up messing up on our date but the IO just laughed and he was very personable. I hope you will also get Ralph, the older gentleman for your interview.

Best of luck and let us know how you fare after the interview. I think after Mantikos gets his interview done, all the Dallas peeps should get together and swap the horror stories.

On another note, got both letters today confirming our i130 and i485 forms were approved. The i485 letter was sent out on our interview day and is also a welcome letter.

Thanks I appreciate your advice & support...I will def follow your instructions...I just hope I don't get a
Rookie, or worse someone who's Mad at the world :( lol

and Yeah Us "Dallas Peeps" should get together & celebrate!! :)

hey ananga73, i saw your sig., i was just wondering if you already received your EAD? if no, did you call them? is it normal to take more than 2 weeks before you receive it from the day they mail it?

I already received my EAD. No it is not normal to take more than a few days after receipt of the emial notification. Mine only took a few days after the mailing notice. I never called them

hey ananga73, i saw your sig., i was just wondering if you already received your EAD? if no, did you call them? is it normal to take more than 2 weeks before you receive it from the day they mail it?

We are firmly in your corner. Go give em hell and come back green! Remember to give us the writeup when you return later today!

actually interview...lol

I wonder if the delay in getting an interview date is because NY is backed up (as usual). Anyone else filing from NY?

I wonder if the delay in getting an interview date is because NY is backed up (as usual). Anyone else filing from NY?

You may be in it for some time... Some get their interviews right away but regular processing time at NYC office is about 3 months behind what USCIS tries to achieve. I've been waiting since end of May!

You may be in it for some time... Some get their interviews right away but regular processing time at NYC office is about 3 months behind what USCIS tries to achieve. I've been waiting since end of May!

No way...omg...next time i'm filing from a small town...lol

I moved to a new place same city just a few minutes away from last place, I did the mail forwarding 2 days to be in effect for yesterday and I haven't received any mail in my current location and last location either. I know USCIS sent me a notice on the 27th so I'm guessing it should've been here by now. Should I go to the Post Office and ask for my email or should I wait?

Received EAD and AP card today.Congrats to all the July filers who got approved and good luck to those having their interviews

We are back from our Interview that was schld for 12:15 today..We arrived @ 11:40 walked in the bldg, go
thru the security check, then was instructed to go upstairs to the 2nd floor...A lady at the desk asked for
our Interview letter then asked us to take a seat. There were maybe 15-20 couples in the waiting room,
some where dressed as we were in their "Sunday Best" and others dressed as if they had just woke up :mad: "It's an Interview People" !!! SMH

.. Anyhow, while we're waiting for our name to be called, our atty shows up and sat down next to us making "small talk" my hubby goes to the restroom, and while he's in the restroom a Hispanic lady in her mid 30's looks around the room while she calls my hubby's name...Our atty. & I walk over to her (IO) and said just a min my
husband in the restroom, as I turn around to look towards the restroom my hubby is walking towards us with a nervous look on his face..The IO and my atty were "chatting" as if they knew each other...we walk in take a seat and the IO goes out to grab another chair for my son that joined us, the IO told him, your are very handsome, my son said thank you of course..Then the IO asked us to stand and take the oath, then asked for our DL & ID. She then asked my hubby his DOB, Birth place, his mothers name, last date he
entered the US and how; which my hubby answered and with a tourist visa..She then asked me for my full name, where I was born, my DOB, did I work and where, asked if either of us were married before, yes I
was, asked for original copy of divorce decree, asked do we have any children together, yes, asked for
their birth certificates, asked if either of us have children outside the marriage, yes we both do, asked if
know the other children, yes..Made some small talk, very relaxed, I made a few comments jokingly and then IO laughed commented as well...Then flipped thru our app. and asked my hubby I485 questions, which he answered NO to most of them except for when she asked have you ever been arrested and my hubby
answered yes back in 2007 for DWI, she then asked for the original clearance letter, which I provided. The IO then said ok everything looks good and asked if we had any questions, I then said ummm do you not want to see our picture albums, joking again I said you don't know how hard I worked on them, she laughed
then said sure, I didnt know you had brought any, so i just showed her our wedding album, she looked at all the pics and made some comments like, your dress was beautiful, and wow you guys went all out for the wedding..I thanked her and she handed the album....So, since the interview was so laid back and comical, i figured it was "Grand Slam" when then the IO said ok everything in order, I just have to get an approval for the DWI offense....Ughhh talk about punch in the stomach!! But did say as far as she's concerned we
were approved and did mention several times that we should receive the card within 2-3 wks. but that I could request an info pass next Monday to find out the final decision if I wanted to know something sooner..
Oh and she didn't even go look over our joint docs, that my atty provided!!

But overall it was a very pleasant, relaxed, and laid back experience. As the IO walks us out to the waiting room, her & our atty contd. more small talk...So, let the waiting game continue :confused:

We are back from our Interview that was schld for 12:15 today..We arrived @ 11:40 walked in the bldg,

Very nice write up. Sounds like the IO was pretty convinced that the DWI was a non issue for you. When we went for our interview the lady at the top of the stairs wasnt there so we missed her. I was looking around to see where to get a number or something. I finally saw her and she took our letter.

Also funny thing was that a lot of people were also getting called when one of the people was in the bathroom. You never know when you get called and for some it was when their other half was in the bathroom.

Hopefully there is nothing to worry about and dont let that minor thing get in the way of your weekend.