Immigration reform what about family

You should consider taking ECO101 again. :) Immigrants are certainly eligible for Social Security and Medicare, and some former non-immigrants can also collect from SS. Additionally, neither program is financed from general taxation or fines.

O M G!!!! Messiah to the rescue. I am sorry I should have spelled everything out in detail.

It can easily be determined who is eligible for SS by going to www.socialsecurity.gov

What I was alluding to is the fact that non-immigrants have a waiting period till their status is adjusted to immigrants, where they can not apply for these benefits. So from the time you enter the country, to the time you are eligible to receive SS; there is a lag. Also, I am not too versed on “refugee” status, but all (o sorry I should say ‘majority’, since someone will come to the rescue again) the skilled worker and family based sponsorships function in this manner.

Check out this link: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/capitalcommerce/070518/immigration_and_social_securit.htm

What I was alluding to is the fact that non-immigrants have a waiting period till their status is adjusted to immigrants, where they can not apply for these benefits.

But that's not true, either. Take a hypothetical Canadian citizen who comes to the US on a TN for five years, then switches to an H-1B for another six. He then moves back to Canada, never having become a permanent resident or anything other than a non-immigrant temporary worker. He can claim SS based on over 40 quarters of work, without any totalization at all.

I can't understand why you guys who claim to be intelligent always chase after every argument that you felt is against you. This immigration thing has everyone itchy ready to explode.

We are all immigrants here, if America believes in letting family extended or extra extended thats up to them....they beleive in family reunification......it seems alot of us on this forum does not, all we care is for us to be in the system then we shut the door. If they want skill they can still get it, so if they dont want to seperate families thats their call.

Hi:

Thank you for the compliment, but I never claimed to be intelligent.

BTW, your argument is sort of reverse - I am all for America deciding what America wants. In fact, I was not the one arguing against this bill, which seems to restrict family immigration to some degree. If this version is indeed what will be voted on (and we don't even know that), then let the elected representatives decide. If they don't like it, they can vote it down. But how do you know what America wants?

If you disagree with the current bill, contact your local representative and voice your concerns. That is your right. But do not make presumptions about what America wants. That is yet to be decided.

O M G!!!! Messiah to the rescue. I am sorry I should have spelled everything out in detail.

It can easily be determined who is eligible for SS by going to www.socialsecurity.gov

What I was alluding to is the fact that non-immigrants have a waiting period till their status is adjusted to immigrants, where they can not apply for these benefits. So from the time you enter the country, to the time you are eligible to receive SS; there is a lag. Also, I am not too versed on “refugee” status, but all (o sorry I should say ‘majority’, since someone will come to the rescue again) the skilled worker and family based sponsorships function in this manner.

Check out this link: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/biztech/capitalcommerce/070518/immigration_and_social_securit.htm

Yes of course you should be accurate with the information you provide. I think you just like being controversial and spouting all sorts of insults. Such non-intellectual, shallow, emotional rhetoric does very little to persuade and is quite frankly boring.

Why consulate is so cautious to issue the visa to IR of USC is because they can adjust the status once they are in the US. How many times have you seen the threads regarding AOS while parents are on B status or overstaying on this board ? Those participating in this board is tiny portion of whole immigrants , yet you can see so many such threads. you can guess how many B or overstaying parents trying to go AOS. It's not negligible figure, therefore consulate becomes careful for visa issurance. Before blaming consulate, blame your fellow immigrants who made your life difficult.

If parents are not allowed to adjust status through their children, the concern that consualte/CIS has is less and they can issue the visa, especially if it was designed to that purpose.

What are you talking about? I am PR now and was on J1 before there is no way that my parents or children can do AOS and they know it perfectly well,
I came to this country legaly and never had intent to be illegal, neighther my relatives should they come to visit.

If they wanted they could implement electronic tracing system for long ago, like reporting on-line monthly or Qx 3 months, even check in sectetary of state office , like in Europian countries or else. That would solve the problem.

but easy way just not to let people in.
This is by the way a violation of basic human rights - freedom to travel

What are you talking about? I am PR now and was on J1 before there is no way that my parents or children can do AOS and they know it perfectly well,
I came to this country legaly and never had intent to be illegal, neighther my relatives should they come to visit.

If they wanted they could implement electronic tracing system for long ago, like reporting on-line monthly or Qx 3 months, even check in sectetary of state office , like in Europian countries or else. That would solve the problem.

You cannot be serious:eek: Who are you to dictate how the people should run their country? Can anyone who wishes to move to your homeland do so as freely as in the U.S.? :rolleyes:

First of all it is not their country. It is the USA ,country that was created by immigrants and for immigrant and that is thriving in our labour.
second of all , if they dare to teach how to run other countries, what's wrong with teaching them.
But seriously, it's not about "to dictate" to people. In fact we are these people and it is a mater of our lives. To prevent aging parents to live with their children is crual and unusual panishment.

Yes of course you should be accurate with the information you provide. I think you just like being controversial and spouting all sorts of insults. Such non-intellectual, shallow, emotional rhetoric does very little to persuade and is quite frankly boring.

I am quite bored by you actually.
What some of us are here saying and is that that part of the bill is UNFAIR. YOU know it. That is why you keep defending it. In some way you are pleased with the balance on your side. Let us protest something YOU KNOW is unbalanced and unfair. Congratulations if the bill passes like this, you gain 1 point, but we will gain many more.
One of the biggest joys of becoming a citizen is to finally set roots in this beautiful country and what could be better than having your children, spouse and parents living near you. If that DOES NOT DEFINE LIFE IN AMERICA, I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES. The american dream is not $100k/year, is your immediate family home for dinner at thanksgiving.
So stop counting change...quoting how many parents go home, and live 3 months here...blah, blah, blah. If it cost soemthing to have parents here. SO BE IT.
I pay for my parents rent each month, I wish I had that money to buy myself other thing. but NO family is more important. Let's ALL assume that responsability and have OUR parents here.
NOW you really hit a NERVE. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This bill is largely being introduced to sort out "illegal immigration", however the changes proposed clearly show more legal immigrants will be effected also. I am not quite sold on this is what "America" wants, I think only states connected to Mexico were wanting to sort out the rush of illegal immigration. If they want to stop family based migration, I think its more to do with aging legal migrants becoming burden on the benifits more than anything else. I don't expect my Social Security money to be there 30 years from now anyways, because I have faith in goverment to mess it up compeltely enough where we will end up paying for it regardless. But to see that $5000 can buy illegal border crossed people as late as Jan 1, 2007 get their legal status, even after they violated and crossed the "new increased secured" border, just makes me little bit disgruntled. Even single mom's working minimum wage jobs pay more than $5000 in taxes. But the MAIN issue, that I don't atleast see addressed is to stop illegal immigration which is the real issue to begin with, or how will there be a way to make the future illegals go back, once the current lot is addressed with.

Unfortunately there is no such thing - there is no basic fundamental human right to travel. RoyalCanadian gave you a very good explanation. There is no inherent RIGHT to immigrate.

What this argument is essentially about, is to what degree America should extend the privilege of immigrating.

I am quite bored by you actually.
What some of us are here saying and is that that part of the bill is UNFAIR. YOU know it. That is why you keep defending it. In some way you are pleased with the balance on your side. Let us protest something YOU KNOW is unbalanced and unfair. Congratulations if the bill passes like this, you gain 1 point, but we will gain many more.
One of the biggest joys of becoming a citizen is to finally set roots in this beautiful country and what could be better than having your children, spouse and parents living near you. If that DOES NOT DEFINE LIFE IN AMERICA, I DON'T KNOW WHAT DOES. The american dream is not $100k/year, is your immediate family home for dinner at thanksgiving.
So stop counting change...quoting how many parents go home, and live 3 months here...blah, blah, blah. If it cost soemthing to have parents here. SO BE IT.
I pay for my parents rent each month, I wish I had that money to buy myself other thing. but NO family is more important. Let's ALL assume that responsability and have OUR parents here.
NOW you really hit a NERVE. :)

Hi:

Once again, IMHO, nothing but emotional rhetoric that doesn't make any real rational appeal. But you know, your feelings are valid. Again, I urge you to contact your local representative and voice your concerns. While you may not have persuaded me, you can always try to persuade him/her and maybe it will make a difference in the debate!

What are you whining at me for? Get on the phone.

1. Why cry to the U.S. government that your parents won't be allowed to come here?? Simply don't come in the first place if you have a problem with the NEW immigration reform. Well fact of the matter is humans from this planet can not base their decisions on an event which hasn't taken place. Meaning for some one to have CITIZENSHIP points to a minor chronological issue; that is, they probably came here at least a decade ago (when this was not a problem). The same being the case when ANGLOSAXON men stepped foot on this soil.
2. I am not CRYING but merely exercising my right to voice my opinion in a democratic GOVT which I helped to ELLECT and paid for.
3. When sponsoring a kin you have to pay substantial amount of money to process the necessary paper work (paid by the sponsoring party). I fail to see what formula is being used by your insignificant being to calculate the cost being heavier on a CITIZEN. O premonition I am the CITIZEN and I am paying for the costs.
4. STOP COMPLAINING!! All the immigration BS has really becoming a burden on everyone here. We should be more responsible. I guess with this logic in mind, Nancy Pelosi and Bush is complaining. May be they need to listen to your advice on how to run the government.
5. A little ECO 101 for your FYI. Immigrants with their fines, social security, taxes, Medicaid and Medicare fuel the lagging and already bottomed out Social Security system. If you want to take other countries into consideration; visitors and immigrants are not liable for these sums since they are not eligible to receive them in the first place. Its called VAT, for a second put your coke and fries down and look it up. It might make you sound less of a Neanderthal.

1. What do Anglosaxon men have to do with current immigration laws???:confused:
2. You spelled E L L E C T wrong, it is E L E C T.:)
3. Good for you!! Do all citizens pay the cost?? Do they want to???:eek:
4. Maybe they should. :p
5. I don't drink coke or eat fries. :D