Immigration reform what about family

As far as I know (I studied the subject, since I recently considered several offers outside USA) most of the developed countries do not allow immigration of siblings, but all allow immigration of old parents in one form or another. Majority do not have explicate "quotas" on parents immigration, but many would insist on some proof that your parent is lonely and solely depends on you economically. Also, in many countries you do not need to be citizen to bring your parent – being an analog of US permanent resident is enough.
And yes, when I considered these offers I took into account the fact that here I could bring my parents earlier.
Now, I suspect that I pay more tax then more then 90% of population of US, thus I subsidize by my money many and many average- and below-average-income families of those who were born here (not to say about those on welfare). Why should I do it? Why should I pay for public schools when my children use private ones? Why this is more morally legitimate to support them by my money then to support my parents?
Often those who scream about “some old Chinese (or whatever) parents who are financial burden on our tax” appear after correct calculation to receive form the tax system mote then they pay to it..
Of course, my main goal is not to explain anything to this type of people. I will do what I deem possible and necessary to protect my own selfish (yes!) interests. Talking just helps to clear one’s mind in preparation for action.

I mean i do not need any money from government for my folks. Just let them come here.
Illigals are already here. no matter what the decision is they won't leave, period. It is so unfare!
Talking about fair or unfair, don't you think ability that extended family can immigrate to the US just because they have a relative here unfair ?
I won't be against the idea to support minor children and spouse because that is common to all the category, but only USC can support adult members of extended family. All the adult should make their immigration path by themselves. THat is what EB/DV/AS people are doing and it is more fair system if you want to talk about fairness.

Begemot, your reasoning for NOT supporting PUBLIC schools WITHIN THE COUNTRY you live in and BRINGING additional people (parents or others) based on a tax issue is not valid. EVERYONE pays taxes. Also, I challenge your studies regarding other developed countries. I believe extreme hardship is usually warrant. Please advise which countries you have studied. Name a few.

Do not forget that that it takes only from 1 to 3 hour of flight to visit parents fom UK to most of Europian and Asian countries. Compare with US 10 -18 hrs trip one way. You cannot do it on weekend
What????

Tell me what Asian Country you can fly to the UK from in 1-3 hours?

What????

Tell me what Asian Country you can fly to the UK from in 1-3 hours?

Leave the poor guy alone:D He only wants his mother:D Can you tell him that parents wont be eliminated if this bill is to become law. There will only be a lowere quota.

And by the way tell him that alot of parents do not contribute to the U.S. economy, but surpress...thats tough talk, but its true.

Parents of US citizens are currently considered immediate relatives, so it wouldn't affect them if F1-4 were abolished anyway, only if they decided to re-evaluate what an "immediate relative" is.

You don't understand the logic. I am not in "another country". i am in the US and i have chosen to come here because it is a great country to work for and to immigration to. And now bunch of apoplexic, obese crooks Washington try to derail the system on which this country was thriving for ages. although I agree with the clauses that imply it cultural diversity and INTEGRATION not a "fifth column" or "Trojan horse" whose ultimate goal to destroy western civilization.
They 'd better concentrate on that!

They had not better do anything! The US is perfectly able to legislate who it wants to immigrate here and who not. No immigrant is entitled to anything. Should immigrants be treated fairly and humanely? Of course. But your parents are not entitled to immigrate just because you qualified. It is a privilege, which the current system affords, and it can be withdrawn.

Look, in a perfect world it would be wonderful for everyone to be together in the same place. That is not the reality in the world right now. Where would you draw the line? My heart aches sometimes for spouses of GC holders, parents of GC holders, certain illegal aliens separated from children etc. But to maintain a workable system, lines have to be drawn. This country does need to move to a more skills-based system, attracting immigrants who can truly contribute to the country. As I have said, immigration policies are to be designed to benefit the nation as a whole, while observing individual rights and liberty. However, parents have no inherent right to follow their children. These are things that need to be considered before immigrating to another country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russland? You mean Russia?

The Western parts of Russia are generally considered to be Europe, not Asia.
Either way, a flight from London to Moscow takes about 4 hours, not "1-3 hours".

Cut the crap guys...

Guys,

Stop this bickering and mud slinging on this proposed bill, the operational word there "proposed". :rolleyes: My contribution is this: republicans are going to defeat this legislation once it is debated. All this news of a major breakthrough is just posturing because the govt is in a mess with Mr. Bush and his hard balls.:eek:

You can all get excited about the possibility of an immigration deal, but until a bill is voted in the both chambers and goes before the conference committe, no one should be excited about any deal. :D Does anybody remember the push to reform the immigration in 2005? What the hell happened to the bill? Some douche bag defeated it...:p

My deep throat told me this afternoon: "this agreement is not going to be approved by any chamber of the house, especially the hardliners in the republican party who view this as liberal amnesty which reward bad behavior by illegals. :eek: So...with elections coming next year, no one wants to voted out because they allowed illegals to become legals... ;)

So does anybody know a DATE when these immigration changes will take effect? I just sent in a petition for a family member (sister) for GC. Will it be included in the group of petitions that will be processed within 8 years?

So does anybody know a DATE when these immigration changes will take effect?

Since nothing has even been introduced, never mind passed, no one can give you a date.

We're seeing a ton of unnecessary hysteria due to a lot of people jumping the gun and not being prudent or reasonable.

My deep throat told me this afternoon: "this agreement is not going to be approved by any chamber of the house, especially the hardliners in the republican party who view this as liberal amnesty which reward bad behavior by illegals. :eek: So...with elections coming next year, no one wants to voted out because they allowed illegals to become legals... ;)

I love how the amnesty is being blamed on "liberals" when the biggest proponent of it is one George W. Bush and many of his cronies. Hell, a certain Miami Republican Senator (Mel Martinez) was pushing for a bill in which any illegal alien who had been in the USA for 5 years would automatically be made citizens. Not everything bad in America is the fault of "liberals" you know.

Since nothing has even been introduced, never mind passed, no one can give you a date.

We're seeing a ton of unnecessary hysteria due to a lot of people jumping the gun and not being prudent or reasonable.

Relax. This is a public forum, not CNN..no one will quote you on what you say or write.
I was just wondering if anybody knows of tentative cut-off dates for family applications. Any rumors, any ballpark idea???
I am worried because it will mean ALL or Nothing for some people.

Relax. This is a public forum, not CNN..no one will quote you on what you say or write.

No, instead people will pass on all sorts of unfounded rumors for months.

I am worried because it will mean ALL or Nothing for some people.

It could. But then again with the point system, it might be less of an impact than people assume. While the FB categories may be eliminated on paper, if family ties count for a significant number of points then it might not be an all or nothing situation. That's why commenting before the specifics of the bill are introduced is a waste of time.

Give it five days; I am confident a lot more will be clearer once a bill is before the Senate.

I kinda like your idea! That's just give me a thought. What if, this issue just never resolved while the government is closing as much as loopholes as possible like making the businesses never hiring illegals anymore. Won't this make U.S. less attractive to the illegals and restore the employment issues? and maybe they'll voluntarary go back to their home country :D

Guys,

Stop this bickering and mud slinging on this proposed bill, the operational word there "proposed". :rolleyes: My contribution is this: republicans are going to defeat this legislation once it is debated. All this news of a major breakthrough is just posturing because the govt is in a mess with Mr. Bush and his hard balls.:eek:

You can all get excited about the possibility of an immigration deal, but until a bill is voted in the both chambers and goes before the conference committe, no one should be excited about any deal. :D Does anybody remember the push to reform the immigration in 2005? What the hell happened to the bill? Some douche bag defeated it...:p

Ending Chain Migration
In Place Of The Current System Where Nearly Two-Thirds Of Green Cards Are Awarded To Relatives Of
U.S. Citizens, Our Immigration System Will Be Reformed To Better Balance The Importance Of Family
Connections With The Economic Needs Of Our Country.

Visas for parents of U.S. citizens are capped, while green cards for the siblings and adult children of U.S.
citizens and green card holders are eliminated.
A new Parents Visitor visa is created to ensure that parents are allowed to visit their children in the United
States regularly and for extended periods of time.
The Diversity Lottery Program, which grants 50,000 green cards per year through random chance, is
ended.

These rebalanced green cards are used to clear the Family Backlog in eight years and then applied to the
new Merit System for future immigration once the backlog is cleared.

http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=22371

I read this, does that mean that my future husband can't sponsor me???

"Bush said the deal would end "chain migration" by limiting the relatives who can automatically receive green cards to spouses and minor children."

I kinda like your idea! That's just give me a thought. What if, this issue just never resolved while the government is closing as much as loopholes as possible like making the businesses never hiring illegals anymore. Won't this make U.S. less attractive to the illegals and restore the employment issues? and maybe they'll voluntarary go back to their home country :D

as long as you buy products or receive services from illegal workers, (which YOU do eveyday) and jobs are available, the flow of illegal immigrants will NEVER stop.

That is not the reality in the world right now. Where would you draw the line? My heart aches sometimes for spouses of GC holders, parents of GC holders, certain illegal aliens separated from children etc. But to maintain a workable system, lines have to be drawn.

Right....your heart aches??? Comon on. Be honest. Not including the parents of citizens is UNFAIR. The immigration reform needs to find a good balance between the preferences given to family members and skills. I agree that adult children and sibblings be excluded. I agree that skills ned to count more. So its perfectly good to draw the line to immediate family memebers (children,spouses and parents). Seems simply and clear.

This country does need to move to a more skills-based system, attracting immigrants who can truly contribute to the country. As I have said, immigration policies are to be designed to benefit the nation as a whole, while observing individual rights and liberty. However, parents have no inherent right to follow their children. These are things that need to be considered before immigrating to another country.

you have to compromise a little bit here. There are only 2 parents per citizen, and with less family members coming in the future the number of elegible parents will reduce even more. Lets just leave it the way it is.
Stop trying to sound like the savior of this country. man...you still have this Dr Phil tendency.... :)
I beleive is FAIR and reasonable to keep parents as immidiate family who can immigrate here. I just hope that part changes in the bill.